• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
When Farage doesn't win his seat he will return to his rightful position as Roger Irrelevant and hopefully he'll go back to whatever he was doing before, another City Robber Baron.

Soldato
In fairness, its easy to see what he means...the percentage points currently show a very high number for a party on the "edge"

It's an easy protest vote though, when you know it won't actually mean them winning your seat, so you have to consider they may be polling higher than they would if people thought they might actually get into power.

alx

alx

Soldato
A sample of 22,000 doesn't give me much faith in it's accuracy so I won't be holding my breath based on the exit polls.

Had an interesting debate on the voting age today with my stepson, we are of differing political opinions and he wasn't best pleased when I suggested he and the majority of people his age (19) aren't really qualified to vote.

"But I've studied politics for three years, I know more about politics than you do"

"Politics isn't some thing you learn from a text book or a documentary, it's something you experience, do you imagine you could learn to drive from a text book without any practical lessons ? no you couldn't and so it is with politics, the only thing you've learned over the past three years is how to be a politician"

Without creating a new thread is there anyone else who feels we need to address the age at which people can vote ?

I see where you're coming from (even if it is a bit patronising), but age doesn't automatically give someone political knowledge either.

At the end of day, if you're a legal adult you should be able to vote on who you want in government as it could have a quite a big impact on your life.

It's a very slippery slope when you start limiting who can vote, even if there are plenty of morons out there.

Soldato
Interesting. I wonder why they have taken 3 floors in my building then? HS2 will happen.

You've missed my point massively. I'm saying it will happen, And it needs to. But people won't be getting on a 'faster' train for many years.

Anyway, it's not really about hs2 this thread is it, sorry :) let's get back to immediate politics. They're all *****.

Caporegime
I don't think UKIP will last if Nigel Farage doesn't get in. He'll resign as leader and there's no-one else the public will warm to I don't think. A lot of UKIP's success has to do with Nigel, I'm sure.

Soldato
That isn't true. There is a good chance that it will be addressed during the next Parliament, particularly if the Conservatives succeed. Electoral reform has been needed for a long time.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Any changes under a Conservative government will almost certainly be limited to proposals with the least damaging effect on their own power.

Back
Top Bottom