*** lumia 640 & 640xl ***

Soldato
Good stuff thanks for confirming, Glance is by far my favorite feature.

I think I'm going to order one but I am going to see what the new 9xx series brings first, if I dont need anything they feature I'll just get a 640 XL

Associate
Good stuff thanks for confirming, Glance is by far my favorite feature.

I think I'm going to order one but I am going to see what the new 9xx series brings first, if I dont need anything they feature I'll just get a 640 XL
Don't expect glance background pictures/images, just the time and simple symbols.

Soldato
might sound stupid but whats glance :)

Basically it's a screen lock that don't use backlight, refreshes roughly once every minute or whenever you get a new notification that you've assigned to show up on lockscreen.

Very useful for a quick peek at time, notification of emails / whatsapps / FB etc without touching anything else.

Consumes a little more battery than a black screen but much lesser than a turned on screen.

Been using mine with the 920 since the update release with it on, lost around 2 hours battery life over a day run, can't complain. Nice to know the 640XL has it too.

Soldato
Basically it's a screen lock that don't use backlight, refreshes roughly once every minute or whenever you get a new notification that you've assigned to show up on lockscreen.

Very useful for a quick peek at time, notification of emails / whatsapps / FB etc without touching anything else.

Consumes a little more battery than a black screen but much lesser than a turned on screen.

Been using mine with the 920 since the update release with it on, lost around 2 hours battery life over a day run, can't complain. Nice to know the 640XL has it too.

Ah thanks in that case appears the 640 has it also ;) not sure where the peek setting is tho?

Soldato
I was tempted into a WP because my Android phone (a Huwawei Y300) had become a pain in the backside. If I never see another 'not enough memory to install this app' error, when my phone had loads of free memory everywhere it'll still be too soon! And recently some annoying Google messages had started interrupting my podcasts. Couldn't get rid of those no matter how I tried.

So when a 640 popped up on HUKD for £75 on an o2 upgrade (which I immediately swapped to 3 PAYG) with Topcashback I jumped and was rather more impressed than I expected.

Ok, there are some things that bug me (like the long struggle to find a decent podcast player and organiser; settled on Metro File Manager). And I missed a few apps almost immediately (like Google's Authenticator for a start!) But for what I paid this is an incredible bit of kit. Battery life is excellent (at least two days of mixed use for me) and the speed and slickness of the experience puts my Android phone (which I paid more for last year) to shame and then some.

The camera has been an unexpected surprise, taking remarkably capable photos even in tricky backlit circumstances, and the call quality (always handy in a phone!) is excellent for both me and whoever I'm calling.

In an ideal world I'd like a dedicated camera button, and I have issues with the way I lose my place in a podcast if I temporarily stop to do something like make a call, but part of that might be user error; I'm still getting to grips with the WP way of things after a month or so. But overall I've been happier than I thought with what I expected to be a stop gap device. I think I'll be using this for longer than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom