• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
GTA V runs great for me on the 15.4s for it, so still on them, as don't have W3 or PCars.

Seeing as I'm on a 290x and I've yet to get either of these titles I think I'll stay on 15.4 as well.

So what's happening with driver nowadays, I wasn't using beta's just full drivers but I've had to change that since we haven't had a proper release yet this year.

Associate
So what's happening with driver nowadays, I wasn't using beta's just full drivers but I've had to change that since we haven't had a proper release yet this year.

The beta drivers are pretty much full proper drivers. The only difference is that they're not certified by Microsoft. Every beta is a proper release.

Problem is they're never good enough. *cough* Crossfire profiles

Soldato
And GTA V performance had dropped for me, single 7950 too! Now i get stuttering pretty bad when driving fast, never had that before on the previous Beta's.

Jeez AMD, you really know how to **** people off! :(

My 7950 is suffering in Xfire and stuttering like a nut job but single card is really fly's on the 15.5 package. A few little stutters but i think that's the dual core rather than the cards.....Only 2 months until my birthday and a Quad lol

Caporegime
Sounds to me like it will be a few more months before you get a crossfire driver for that game.

Crossfire support is just not up there with SLI unfortunately.

It used to be when they did monthly driver releases and Catalyst Application Profiles, they've just let themselves go.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Damn ****ing shame imo, they have kickass hardware!!!!! It's just that the support isn't there for 2 cards+ :(

Agreed. Only way I would go multi gpu is if I get it at the right price. Willing to give a 295x2 a whirl as I never tried crossfire, put a request in the wanted section in members market, but no one willing to sell me one for the price I am offering. Lol. I would offer more, or even buy brand new, but not with the driver support AMD are giving crossfire at the moment.

How are you finding your SLI setup? Can you tell the difference between a single card and sli?

Caporegime
How are you finding your SLI setup? Can you tell the difference between a single card and sli?

Tbh I haven't tried single card, just whacked 'em in for SLi. It's great, all the games I play are SLi compatible so I get the benefits :)

I *am* pondering switching to a Ti though, but only because I can add another after the Summer :cool:

Soldato
After many hours of testing..I think I have finally found a compromise in the visual setup for pcars, which means it both looks pleasing and runs smoothly.

These are the settings I am using:
My rig: i7-4770k @ 4.5Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz RAM, Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC x2 in CrossfireX:

RydueVW.jpg

ZccKtH0.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It used to be when they did monthly driver releases and Catalyst Application Profiles, they've just let themselves go.

They actually improved a great deal shortly after ditching caps, as it meant the whql drivers were no longer a 3 month old beta, merging to one team was a smart move. iirc Matt said after driver profile patching was no longer possible, but if it gives a short term fix maybe they should look in to reintroducing it.

What's happening now I don't know, I'd like to think it's a number of other things holding up the release schedule, like cf freesync and the new hbm cards.

Caporegime
OP
Potential random question - people with Crossfire, do you keep Frame Pacing on? Do you see a reduction in FPS?

Absolutely, yes. Always recommend to keep it on unless you're benchmarking. Frame pacing may cost 1 fps or so. Very small performance hit.

There is the basic Frame Pacing option that is available in the 3D Applications aspect which is independent of CrossFire Profiles. However, the introduction of Catalyst Omega also added specific Frame Pacing improvements for certain games in Dual Graphics (APU + dGPU) and those are enabled through game profiling. If you were to override that internal profile you would lose that improvement. Conversely if you were to profile a game which doesn't have that improvement with a game profile that does, it will gain it. However, the optimization is profiled per application on purpose as it may not always result in smoother game rendering if the engine isn't compatible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom