Windows 10

Soldato
Exactly, I don't see where the confusion is for some people.

I think a lot of confusion has come from the new rapid release schedule

Many people are asking what happens in year two, and as yet, the correct answer is nobody knows, as MS has not released any information on how it works

all we know is this

Windows 10 is the last version of Windows
Windows updates is here to stay in its current form
Rapid release is an unknown, both in how it works, and how its funded

My thoughts are this:

Windows Updates will get a new category called "Features" in addition to the usual Critical, Recommended, Security etc etc

To be able to download from the new category will require a subscription adding to your windows account. What I'm not sure about, is what happens if you were to cancel your subscription and then rebuild your computer. Would you be stuck on the initial build of Windows 10. I can actually see this being bundled as part of a package inc onedrive storage and 365.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't decide if it's worth it... my Win7 system is chugging along just fine...

I think I'll wait until about halfway through the year of the offer and then see what the general userbase are saying about it by then...

Have to say though it's a surprise not to see:

PRE-RESERVE YOUR UPGRADE NOW TO RECEIVE EXCLUSIVE BONUS HALO SKIN FOR THE START MENU... OR UPGRADE TO THE WINDOWS OS-OF-THE-YEAR EDITION BY BUYING THE SEASON PASS

Associate
I think a lot of confusion has come from the new rapid release schedule

Many people are asking what happens in year two, and as yet, the correct answer is nobody knows, as MS has not released any information on how it works

all we know is this

Windows 10 is the last version of Windows
Windows updates is here to stay in its current form
Rapid release is an unknown, both in how it works, and how its funded

My thoughts are this:

Windows Updates will get a new category called "Features" in addition to the usual Critical, Recommended, Security etc etc

To be able to download from the new category will require a subscription adding to your windows account. What I'm not sure about, is what happens if you were to cancel your subscription and then rebuild your computer. Would you be stuck on the initial build of Windows 10. I can actually see this being bundled as part of a package inc onedrive storage and 365.

But it says it right there on the MS page?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Soldato
That's a lot more expensive then i thought it was going to be, i thought Microsoft was going to challenge Apple and price it under $50/£50 due to Apple giving there OS our for free

Apple don't give away their os for free :confused: I thought everyone knew it's part of the cost when purchasing an apple computer

MS can't, because of OEMs

Soldato
what happens if you don't have a legal copy of windows 7 or 8.1? can you download windows 10 with a key that expires at the end of the year and then buy it or can you still buy the OS within the first year if you choose too?

APM

APM

Associate
I've found a link to a Windows 7 professional download with licence key from Germany for £23 with this as an addendum,

General info about OEM versions:
OEM versions (original equipment manufacturer) offer the buyer the enormous advantage to acquire the same software at a much lower price. In Germany the acquisition, distribution and use of OEM versions is perfectly legal. Say, the trade of OEM versions without binding to hardware is legally permitted. The available operating system CD's of us come from manufacturers such as Dell, HP or Fujitsu and contain the original software. We acquire these CD's with original license keys and can then be extremely low prices to pass on to our customers this. The performance and handling of the operating systems are identical, the only difference is in the type of packaging.

Disclaimers:
The judgment of the Federal Court, the sale of OEM versions and DSP versions is permitted without the associated hardware.

Therefore, you must install this version on each machine and use. This is documented in the judgment of the Federal Court of Justice 06.07.2000. (I ZR 244/97).

The ECJ has confirmed the verdict on 03/07/2012 (https://dejure.org/dienste/vernetzu...t=EuGH&Datum=03.07.2012&Aktenzeichen=C-128/11).

The Supreme Court has now confirmed the legality of the trade license again. See also http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...it-des-Gebrauchtsoftware-Handels-2104055.html

does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or is best to avoid?

I have a few machines I could upgrade not all of which run windows now so this could be a good route for me.

Soldato
Reserved mine too. I would have thought the new windows icon would have disappeared afterwards though. Apparently not.

I also notice my PC took a bit longer to start up today so I can only assume it was because an update of sorts has put the no icon on and maybe a few other bits.

Caporegime
Are we going to have a year of people getting confused by this free upgrade offer?

Its a Windows 10 Upgrade Licence for the promotional price of £0. How difficult is it to get your head around that?

Caporegime
Also, I'm willing to bet that little app in your task bar is registering your W7/8 key as a valid W10 key when you reserve a copy, so they will then work with clean installs from ISOs.

They had to do something like this as a lot of people who buy pre built machines won't know their product key as its embedded in the UEFI BIOS.

Soldato
I've found a link to a Windows 7 professional download with licence key from Germany for £23 with this as an addendum,

General info about OEM versions:
OEM versions (original equipment manufacturer) offer the buyer the enormous advantage to acquire the same software at a much lower price. In Germany the acquisition, distribution and use of OEM versions is perfectly legal. Say, the trade of OEM versions without binding to hardware is legally permitted. The available operating system CD's of us come from manufacturers such as Dell, HP or Fujitsu and contain the original software. We acquire these CD's with original license keys and can then be extremely low prices to pass on to our customers this. The performance and handling of the operating systems are identical, the only difference is in the type of packaging.

Disclaimers:
The judgment of the Federal Court, the sale of OEM versions and DSP versions is permitted without the associated hardware.

Therefore, you must install this version on each machine and use. This is documented in the judgment of the Federal Court of Justice 06.07.2000. (I ZR 244/97).

The ECJ has confirmed the verdict on 03/07/2012 (https://dejure.org/dienste/vernetzu...t=EuGH&Datum=03.07.2012&Aktenzeichen=C-128/11).

The Supreme Court has now confirmed the legality of the trade license again. See also http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...it-des-Gebrauchtsoftware-Handels-2104055.html

does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or is best to avoid?

I have a few machines I could upgrade not all of which run windows now so this could be a good route for me.

Can you post the link.

Soldato
what happens if you don't have a legal copy of windows 7 or 8.1? can you download windows 10 with a key that expires at the end of the year and then buy it or can you still buy the OS within the first year if you choose too?

Legal copies or not this wont affect your ability to purchase windows 10. It will only affect the free upgrade as if the copy of your OS isn't genuine, you cant register for w10 for free.

Sorry If I missed what you meant.

Also, I'm willing to bet that little app in your task bar is registering your W7/8 key as a valid W10 key when you reserve a copy, so they will then work with clean installs from ISOs.

They had to do something like this as a lot of people who buy pre built machines won't know their product key as its embedded in the UEFI BIOS.

Exactly! That's how I thought they would do it anyway to enable people to reformat/reinstall the OS after the 1 year and not lose the fact they got it for free.

I cant wait for this now :)

Back
Top Bottom