• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950CF upgrade time?

Soldato
I can't help but think I'm missing out on something with all the talk of these 980Ti's floating about.

Would a 980Ti be a worthy upgrade form a 7950CF, I have no idea. Talking in terms of raw performance, noise, power consumption.

I play most modern games, BF4, ARMA3, GTA V, Arkham Knight at 1080p V-SYNC off as monitor is 144Hz. I will just add I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and will be upgrading to 10 ASAP.

Soldato
OP
CF profiles are the bane of my life! DayZ doesn't work properly, Arma3 has never really worked properly, I struggle with BF4 as that sometimes works properly.

It would be nice to rid myself of all those constant problems. I just couldn't find anything anywhere showing the gains etc. Best I've done is cross referenced aandtech banchmarks from an r9 280x cf to a 980ti

Associate
I did this very upgrade on friday, night and day difference. Particularly at this time of the year, I can play without the room turning into a furance due to the sheer amount of heat those cards kicked out (atleast for me) in crossfire. Also whisper quiet (got the GTX 980 ti EVGA ACX SC).

Peformance much better to, I was expecting it to be a sideways move, or even a downgrade so I am delighted with it :)

Dear, but worth it.

Soldato
OP
I did this very upgrade on friday, night and day difference. Particularly at this time of the year, I can play without the room turning into a furance due to the sheer amount of heat those cards kicked out (atleast for me) in crossfire. Also whisper quiet (got the GTX 980 ti EVGA ACX SC).

Peformance much better to, I was expecting it to be a sideways move, or even a downgrade so I am delighted with it :)

Dear, but worth it.

Excellent. This makes me happy.

Associate
In a similar position been on Xfire 7970s for a few years now although they still do a pretty good job would be nice to upgrade to a single card that is faster...

Been looking at a lot of the 980TI and furry X reviews they don't seem much faster in most games that work with Xfire @stock but in games with crap Xfire support and once overclocked in games with good support the 980ti pretty much demolish them so they are very tempting but think it is worth holding off for a bit longer until they mange to unlock the voltage on the Furry X and can see what they can really do before making a decision still hoping that what AMD said about them at the launch about being built for overclocking is true and we just haven't had a chance to see it yet...

Soldato
OP
In a similar position been on Xfire 7970s for a few years now although they still do a pretty good job would be nice to upgrade to a single card that is faster...

Been looking at a lot of the 980TI and furry X reviews they don't seem much faster in most games that work with Xfire @stock but in games with crap Xfire support and once overclocked in games with good support the 980ti pretty much demolish them so they are very tempting but think it is worth holding off for a bit longer until they mange to unlock the voltage on the Furry X and can see what they can really do before making a decision still hoping that what AMD said about them at the launch about being built for overclocking is true and we just haven't had a chance to see it yet...

Since looking at the 980Ti's it has opened my eyes at to how bad the support is for games that even support xfire well! Add to that the power and heat advantages. I'm 95% sold!

Associate
I've just been through the same dilemma and decided to go for the 980ti, it should be delivered later today, so I will let you know if it's a worthwhile upgrade (it better had be!).

Associate
I am also looking at perhaps going to a 980 from a 7990 due to the CF issues. Are the nvidia drivers as stables as amd's these days?

Think the current batch are pretty bad (see big thread on this forum about driver crashes) but nVidia say they know what the problem is so should have a fix soon, plus there are various workarounds that keep things going well for most people, or use one of the older drivers.

Moving away from multi-card to single card should improve the driver situation overall even with the current problems :)

Associate
In are very similar situation, I own a 7990 and waiting for AMD to see what Fury X can achieve after OC, and the cost for Display port 1.2 - > HDMI 2.0 adapter...etc
Sometimes I really wanna jump to green team because 980TI is soooo temping..
I believe this link shows GPU reference design and at stock only
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1440?vs=1496

If they do 20% OC, which is not that hard to achieve, will make bigger differences.
But if I change to green team then I will need to pay extra 100-200pounds for my next monitor because of Gsync, Freesync is so much cheaper. argh so annoying...

Associate
They do look tempting really like the MSI gaming edition but the price is a bit much... There are cheaper ones though I am tempted by the Inno3D for £525 or the Zotac for £530 still more than I would like to spend though... still think I will leave it a few more weeks not long till the air cooled fury's are out and by then hopefully better drivers and voltage unlock.

Associate
Originally Posted by martos123
I've just been through the same dilemma and decided to go for the 980ti, it should be delivered later today, so I will let you know if it's a worthwhile upgrade (it better had be!).

Im looking forward to your results also.

Soldato
Also in the same boat. Xfire has just been terrible. I think it worked OK for Crysis 3 but that was about it.

Totally done with duel cards now. I thought it would be easier on the wallet when I got 2 7950s but just like the rest of you it does a better job of heating my room than the central heating.

I'm thinking of moving away from AMD though as I haven't been happy with the driver support.

Soldato
OP
Also in the same boat. Xfire has just been terrible. I think it worked OK for Crysis 3 but that was about it.

Totally done with duel cards now. I thought it would be easier on the wallet when I got 2 7950s but just like the rest of you it does a better job of heating my room than the central heating.

I'm thinking of moving away from AMD though as I haven't been happy with the driver support.

With the current lineup of cards I think that there will be a lot of AMD Xfire owners having the thoughts the same as we are. Yeah £600 is a lot but you get a lot back from going big with team green....

Soldato
I went 7950xfire ->290xfire ->980ti and couldn't be happier. I got sick of the terrible xfire support, and my 980ti comes within 6% of the 290xfire setup in firestrike once it's overclocked.

I was always a fan of AMD, but I really like this new card! Also, shadowplay works really well compared to raptr.

Associate
I just got rid of my 7950s and have ordered a 980 Ti (MSI Gaming). I have been putting the upgrade off until there was a card that would give a significant performance increase over both cards and I think the 980 Ti is definitely at that point. Looking forward to not having to worry about xfire, though I will probably sli at some point.

Once the frame pacing got some attention I didn't find AMD's drivers too bad, but I tend to buy games late so late xfire profiles hasn't bothered me.

Back
Top Bottom