Dashcams!

Soldato
I am plotting a Mini 0806 in the near future - seems, overall, to offer a lot of bang for buck, but still concerned about wiring in 'tidily'.....going to try, though!

I have a Mini 0801 (just removed) and you won't have any problems with mess. It all tucks away neatly.

Transmission breaker
Don
My Blackvue died the other day. Bought it in October last year, but the guy at the UK distributor has ensured me he will sort it out tomorrow.
Will see what they offer. Annoying, as it was supposed to be a more premium model, but perhaps I just got unlucky. The previous models had an overheating issue that was supposedly fixed on mine.
I guess they will probably supply me with a newer model, as the DR3500 is not available any more..
Will update when I know more.

Underboss
just done about 2/3 hours of research on dash cams

Good dual ones are £200 +,

good front ones are £50 +, two of these is half the price of a dual !

I am looking at getting a discreet one to go above my rear view mirror

looking at the E-Prancer mini 806 (over the 805) , £78 at rain forest site

or

B40 / A118 or the better CDV300X by Blueskysea

Underboss
Hi chaps I just purchased a dash cam (A118c / B40) commonly know as 'the wedge' however if I use it the DAB radio signal completely dies or is very weak with some stations... Is there anyway to combat this issue?

yes apparently there is now, they are now shipping with a better quality power lead which helps this issue!
need to change it for a newer one

Soldato
The previous models had an overheating issue that was supposedly fixed on mine.

Seems to be a recurring theme across all dashcams after reading lots of reviews. Some more prone than others.

Some really good reviews here for anyone looking.

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

Trying to decide if I want to go dual or not, £200 is a decent chunk of change though. Would kick myself if I went single and ended up needing the rear footage.

I really like how the control unit can be hidden away in the glove box on the K1S and the actual cameras are tiny.

Apologies if this is a bit of a n00b question, but do all of these cameras have an auto-record function?

I'd much rather just turn on the ignition and know it's recording, rather than have to remember to press a button every time I get in and out of the car.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Most do, all the modern E-Prance ones do. You'll need to fuse tap to a fuse that is live on ignition of course, easily done really.

Soldato
Most of them turn on automatically when plugged into a 12V lighter socket don't they? No need to go into the fuse box if you don't want to.

Getting a K1S today. The shop mentioned that you need to make sure you verify the SD card your using if it doesn't come with the cam.

Please make sure you use SD cards which Recording Speed is class 10 and
above! Please test your SD card recording speed using free online SD Card
Recording Speed Checker (such as h2testw; it is very handy tool to have) to
make sure your SD card is neither faulty/corrupt nor a fake. There are many
branded fake cards out there sold as genuine, so you might not even know
about your card being fake! It certainly can look like a genuine card to
most applications, but to operate this dashcam correctly, you need to make
sure your card will not cause you any headaches and hard times.

I haven't got a card reader for my desktop, so testing one on my Mac instead with this http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/

So far so good, I think I got it from a 3rd party seller as opposed to a big shop. Getting 20MB/s write speeds, which is double the Class 10 minimum, so should be okay I think.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Ah decent. I'd like to stealth the install as much as possible, so would be wiring into the fuse box and up one of the A pillar trims on to the top of the windscreen. Thanks. :)

If you want stealth, check your roof lights/sunroof area for an ignition live. Splice into there for much easier install with much less cable routing.

That's what I did :)

Much neater!

blackvue2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom