Windows 10 FAQ

Soldato
Just ordered myself an ssd, I'd been planning on keeping my old 8.1 drive connected just in case there's any issues that come up while using 10 hopefully all of the time. But reading this thread, I will have to upgrade from 8.1 to 10?
Or could I install 10 onto the ssd from within 8.1? And if I do this, will I have any issues when I later wipe that drive?

Cheers!

Caporegime
Can I not pay for a 'retail' copy? Windows 10 on a disc/USB?

I do not want to have to install 8, update to 8.1, and update to 10 if I want to do a clean install?

Soldato

I do not want to have to install 8, update to 8.1, and update to 10 if I want to do a clean install?

Yes. OCUK sell them

EDIT: I didnt install 8. I installed 8.1 and activated and then used the Windows 10 Iso on a USB to upgrade to 10. Activated 10 and then did a RESET

Associate
OP
Just ordered myself an ssd, I'd been planning on keeping my old 8.1 drive connected just in case there's any issues that come up while using 10 hopefully all of the time. But reading this thread, I will have to upgrade from 8.1 to 10?
Or could I install 10 onto the ssd from within 8.1? And if I do this, will I have any issues when I later wipe that drive?

Cheers!

Upgrade to 10 on your current hard drive then do a fresh 10 install on your ssd would be the best way :)

You cant use both as they use the same key if thats what you where planning on doing?

Soldato

Cheers!

You could do an image of your existing drive and put that on the SSD?

Associate
OP

You dont need to do that to do a clean install. You only need to do the upgrade ONCE after that once its activated you can clean install w10 all the time.

Soldato
I downloaded the ISO using the windows 10 tool and burned it to a disc.

Its asking me for a product key, there is no way to skip it either. Any ideas?:confused:

Im on 8.1 by the way, upgrade has been reserved.

Associate
OP
Your not ment to boot from it.. Just run it inside windows and update.. Once windows reboots remove the disk or it will boot from it (you dont need it the rest of the way)

Should not ask you for a product key this way.

Soldato
Your not ment to boot from it.. Just run it inside windows and update.. Once windows reboots remove the disk or it will boot from it (you dont need it the rest of the way)

Should not ask you for a product key this way.

Im not booting from it, I burned the disc and run the disc through windows.

Soldato
In the future when I upgrade my PC hope I can do a clean install without having to install Windows 7 first :/

Does it let you use your original retail Win 7 key for activation on new hardware?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just to add something to the key situation.

I have a W7 Pro upgrade key, so not a 'Retail' key version, but I have used countless times to clean install W7 onto various PCs.

Yesterday I clean installed it on my laptop, activated, upgraded to W10 Pro, this activated fine.

I'm just trying on my PC, done a clean install on a spare hard drive, activated, upgraded to W10 Pro, this hasn't activated.

Error details

Error description: The activation server has determined that the specified product key has been blocked.

Error code: 0xC004C003

Trying to change the key (inputting the original) I get the following.

The product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one.

Error Code: 0xc004f050

Worryingly (I guess), there is no option to do phone activation. There isn't actually any option on the Activation settings window to manually click on activate or anything other than change product key or go to the store and buy a license.

wln1svi.jpg

So I guess the only thing at the moment would be to try and speak to their support either by phone or the online chat thing. I don't fancy trying to call or arrange for a call so I'll just leave the chat thing open for a bit and see if anyone answers.

Maybe hold off upgrading if you're planning on changing your motherboard in the next week or so!!

Soldato
^ once an upgrade to 10 has been done the key gets locked to a hardware ID on the machine its activated on so you cant go to another machine unless your original install of your previous OS was a Retail one

Associate
OP
You could try restarting a few times.. @gravy had that key blocked problem 8 restarts later and it cleared. But it might not as it might have locked to your first machine. Try it and let us know? haha

Last edited:
Caporegime
^ once an upgrade to 10 has been done the key gets locked to a hardware ID on the machine its activated on so you cant go to another machine unless your original install of your previous OS was a Retail one

Yeah I get that it does that, just strange that there doesn't seem to be a way to resolve the issue without contacting their support in some way i.e. the old phone activation when you're doing a new install.

You could try restarting a few times.. @Gravy had that key blocked problem 8 restarts later and it cleared. But it might not as it might have locked to your first machine.

I've restarted 4 times, I'll do it a few more.

On the chat at the moment so will see what the MS guy has to say.

Caporegime
This is what Lynuel F had to say for himself.

we apologize about the delay Aron but right now since were experiencing a heavy traffic of windows10 activation, you will have your computer activated after one day or two

15:43

Oh okay, so there should be no issues with my key?

15:44

you are correct Aron :)

15:44

Okay brilliant. One quick question, I'm planning on upgrading my PC in the next month or two, will changing motherboard etc cause an issue with the activation? I've read you don't get a specific Windows 10 key and it's hardware linked now...?

15:46

that is correct. since you will be changing hardware part, you need to get back to the basic. install windows 7, install all updates and get the windows 10 notification and activate it

15:48

Not sure that'll work exactly like that for the hardware change, but we'll see if this gets activated at some point I guess. I'll try a few more restarts.

Soldato
Ok, I have windows 8.1 box which started as windows 7 retail, had a cheap upgrade from MS to 8 and the offer for media center which had another product key.

Trying to update from the iso seems to prompt for a key with no option to skip ... and the keys I have don't seem to work (I did previous reserve the upgrade n the system and am just trying to shortcut it ...

Back
Top Bottom