• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
I've just gotten home from travelling after purchasing my AMP! Extreme almost 20 days ago. Chucked it in my case, ASIC quality of 79.9% which is awesome. The card is huge, but has the most sturdy housing of any card I have ever owned. Looks much better in person than in the photos. No push the limit backplate but i find that cheesy anyway. Time to spend hours and hours catching up on my gaming withdrawal. :D

EDIT: This card also fits in my NZXT S340 with NO issues so I'm very pleased!

Associate
Can you post a bigger pic, cant make it out :D.

lol, glad I didn't check this on my phone or tablet. The whole forum would shrink into a nothing and being able to click on the spoiler again would be like winning the lottery :p

Looks like those quality MSI 980TI Gaming's are doing very well thanks to availability and price :)

Soldato

One for the Gallery :D. Ignore the damn wallpaper lol. Had to mod my desk as i originally had it at the side and move it into the spare room hense the horrific wallpaper. And the camera is pretty bad aswell. But anyway finally done, well almost.

Just need the new EVGA 3 way V2 SLI bridge, LED's etc. Ohh and I still havent come up with a name yet, really unsure what to name the thing.

System is super quiet and suprising with all the fans pretty quiet aswell, i dont like a dead silent system but its nice. The cards perform amazingly idling at low 20s and running maxed out in the mid 30s overclocked. Love the custom loop so far.

If kaapstad, you could change my ROH MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G to EVGA 980Ti SC Reference. I can post the boxes if needed thanks :).

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, that's a big card!

It's taller than my 290X with it's Accelero Extreme IV - but not as long, thankfully.

Can you post a bigger pic, cant make it out :D.

Hey - I put the spoiler tag on for ya's - at least! :p

Looks like those quality MSI 980TI Gaming's are doing very well thanks to availability and price :)

Very decent quality - in fact glad OCUK put a more competitive price on it this week - else I would have had to go (begrudgingly) to their more northern competitor, as money is not an object like it used to be for me; (but I'd rather stay loyal, and support them than others tbh).

Caporegime
Can people with the msi 6g check their fans when its under load and see if there's any kind of reverberating sound? When mine gets to 60-70% fan speed a kind of odd noise starts to appear sort of what you'd hear if a fan was loose or off balance, kind of like wooping sound that alternates in pitch.

Associate
Can people with the msi 6g check their fans when its under load and see if there's any kind of reverberating sound? When mine gets to 60-70% fan speed a kind of odd noise starts to appear sort of what you'd hear if a fan was loose or off balance, kind of like wooping sound that alternates in pitch.

Nothing like that on mine, only the sweet sound of the fans keep the card cool and I even used a rolled up piece of paper while using an aggressive fan profile for benching.

Maybe take out the card and check from every angle you can that the fan while static isn't wonky aka raised on one side to the other.

Caporegime
Nothing like that on mine, only the sweet sound of the fans keep the card cool and I even used a rolled up piece of paper while using an aggressive fan profile for benching.

Maybe take out the card and check from every angle you can that the fan while static isn't wonky aka raised on one side to the other.

Yeah there's definitely something not right, like it said it only appears at a certain fan percentage onwards and it sounds like something is out of balance or something along those lines. *sigh*. Really not having much luck with gpu's lately :(

Associate
Normally I'd say barrel distortion on the lens but you're just confirming what you saw and does indeed look warped.

Good look at mine while installed and couldn't look any straighter, may take them out tomorrow and give it a quick check to be sure. Anything else you want me to look out for I can oblige.

What is the gap like in the middle with the edge of a ruler and how's the other side?

Caporegime
Normally I'd say barrel distortion on the lens but you're just confirming what you saw and does indeed look warped.

Good look at mine while installed and couldn't look any straighter, may take them out tomorrow and give it a quick check to be sure. Anything else you want me to look out for I can oblige.

What is the gap like in the middle with the edge of a ruler and how's the other side?

Its very bent, apparently its intentional.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1564596/...0-ti-gaming-6g-by-msi-the-bend-is-intentional

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...i-gaming-980ti-look-like-this-out-of-the-box/

That being said i'm still getting this weird "wooo wooo" kind of sound once the fan hits the 70% territory which is a few minutes into a game. I'll contact ocuk tomorrow and see what they say. :(

Caporegime
Yeah mine is bendy too.

Super cool though so haven't bothered worrying about it. Quite a few have noticed this too.

Probably as per design. I'm not looking at it a lot anyway.

Doesn't bother me it's bent as its designed that way apparently. Just can't figure out this reverberation type noise. Everything on the card is tight with regards to fans etc so no idea what's causing it :(.

Last edited:
Associate
Doesn't bother me it's bent as its designed that way apparently. Just can't figure out this reverberation type noise. Everything on the card is tight with regards to fans etc so no idea what's causing it :(.

What about the individual blades on the fans. Can you see any differences that might cause oscillation at higher RPMs?

Caporegime
What about the individual blades on the fans. Can you see any differences that might cause oscillation at higher RPMs?

Didn't notice anything when I had it out, the blades are a bit different on the card, some new type of blade beside regular types for better airflow.

Associate
I've just gotten home from travelling after purchasing my AMP! Extreme almost 20 days ago. Chucked it in my case, ASIC quality of 79.9% which is awesome. The card is huge, but has the most sturdy housing of any card I have ever owned. Looks much better in person than in the photos. No push the limit backplate but i find that cheesy anyway. Time to spend hours and hours catching up on my gaming withdrawal. :D

EDIT: This card also fits in my NZXT S340 with NO issues so I'm very pleased!

80%, really nice! What's the stock boost? 1460?

Associate
Stock boost is 1455 which I am incredibly pleased with, did a quick overclock, knocked +100 on the core and got 1565 which was stable in The Witcher 3 so I am incredibly happy, I guess I spent my bad luck for the year and finally got something decent!

EDIT: Just went to check my idle temp and its 16 degrees C. Is it just me or does that seem too good to be true?

EDIT2: Just a glitch never mind :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom