• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury Pro Fiji Owners Thread

Associate
I actually took the side off my case earlier tonight to give it a listen as one forum member who posted in the Fury X thread had complained about loud coil whine...
When I ran mine through some tests on first installing it, there were a few times where it made the most horrendous buzzing sound, mainly in menus where coil-whine is always worst. It stopped doing that after I had stressed it a bit more, and now it exhibits an average amount of coil-whine (noticable with the case open, but not audible when closed).

Associate
I did test it upon first install, but it was on a Saturday night, so had lots of ambient noise from the living room etc!
The mrs is away for 3 weeks, the boy is in bed, so lots of the ambient noise is gone ;)

Soldato
It finally arrived :D, will be used in what's becoming an overkill HTPC and is to be water-cooled in the case once the rest of the water-cooling bits arrive, but running it as is to make sure all is okay. Gotta say however there is hell of a lot of coil whine with it at the moment. Not had this much before with a GPU. Any tips to lower it and how you stressed it?

DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN0974.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

Make Sapphire Tri-X, Radox-0, Link, Date 06/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, neil473, Link, Date 04/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, IainR, Link, Date 01/08/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Mr Evil, Link, Date 22/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Nutella33, Link, Date 21/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, sothur, Link, Date 17/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, Lokken86, Link, Date 17/07/2015
Make Sapphire Tri-X, djtoltec, Link, Date 17/07/2015

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Fury Pro.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just played a variety of games, nothing special. Coil whine varies a lot between cards, so there's no guarantee that yours will behave like mine.

Thanks, think mine is a quiet bad example it seems. May send it back within the return frame. Tried it on 4 different PSU's which don't produce whine with my other GPU's on a plethora of games to no avail. Not put it under water yet where I expect things will get quieter which may make the noise more apparent.

Separately how low do these GPU's downclock during idle. It seems my core clock is always bouncing around between 450 - 650 Mhz when nothing is happening. No windows open, or programmes of sort.

Associate
Thanks, think mine is a quiet bad example it seems. May send it back within the return frame. Tried it on 4 different PSU's which don't produce whine with my other GPU's on a plethora of games to no avail. Not put it under water yet where I expect things will get quieter which may make the noise more apparent.

Separately how low do these GPU's downclock during idle. It seems my core clock is always bouncing around between 450 - 650 Mhz when nothing is happening. No windows open, or programmes of sort.

I think it is 300Mhz for gpu

Soldato
more than one screen connected?

Nope just a single 3440 x 1440 panel for now. set background to solid black and no icons on desktop (not sure if that makes a difference) no browsers or the sort open. Just GPU-Z to monitor the core clock which was bouncing up and down. Not seen it drop to under 400 MHZ at any point while doing nothing.

Associate

regarding coil whine run one of the older 3dmarks, 03 or 05 should do. feature tests, on the loop. some say it helps out. they usually run it for long period of time overnight etc. better cooling of components i advised as well for that period.

Soldato
regarding coil whine run one of the older 3dmarks, 03 or 05 should do. feature tests, on the loop. some say it helps out. they usually run it for long period of time overnight etc. better cooling of components i advised as well for that period.

Thanks for the tip. I Just RMA'd the card (great CS) and will see what the replacement will be like.

I did run it overnight twice, running it on a Haven Valley loop and another night on skyrim with god mode on and letting a dragon go at it all night lol. Sadly no improvement. Tried it on couple of different PSU's all of which work fine with my main build and secondary builds GPU's so thinking its pretty much the card.

Now looking at the Fury x, but need to remind myself this is only a HTPC, scope creep always gets me :(

Cheers for the help gents

Permabanned
Wow I didn't realise it was such a pig. Loving the card so far. Im getting 55-70fps most of the time with the odd drop to 45, but never seen it any lower. Thats with everything at ultra and HBAO+ on/ SMAA on, and volumetric fog. The only reason im not using enhanced god ray is because it will dip ever so slightly further down and with this game you can feel when its below 45. So iv'e found the sweet spot for me, testing bit is over :).

I tried my 290x yesterday and it still can't run FC4 very well unless I drop everything considerably, I ordered a Fury Tri-X today so I'm looking forward to the same sort of performance as you're getting. I'm on a stock clock 4790k so it shouldn't make much of a difference to your's at 4.6. I'll be happy if the minimums stay over 40.

Soldato
I tried my 290x yesterday and it still can't run FC4 very well unless I drop everything considerably, I ordered a Fury Tri-X today so I'm looking forward to the same sort of performance as you're getting. I'm on a stock clock 4790k so it shouldn't make much of a difference to your's at 4.6. I'll be happy if the minimums stay over 40.

You won't be disappointed mate its absolutely cruising.

If I use 1080p in the middle of the foliage areas its sitting over 100fps but 1440p just looks crisper and still perfectly smooth. Windows 10 seems to have given it another 2-3fps too can't complain with that.

Caporegime
Anyone got 2x of these in Xfire, if so, what are temps like ?

I think you can easily add around 10/12c to the top card m8, seems to be that way with all the SLi/Crossfire setups that I've had...

Just a shame they haven't dropped yet, £400 would be the sweet spot :(

Wait til the Furyx2 hits if you can, at least it'll be another option if it's fixed and is around £900/£1k :)

Caporegime
I think you can easily add around 10/12c to the top card m8, seems to be that way with all the SLi/Crossfire setups that I've had...

Just a shame they haven't dropped yet, £400 would be the sweet spot :(

Wait til the Furyx2 hits if you can, at least it'll be another option if it's fixed and is around £900/£1k :)

X2 might be another EEEEEEEEEEEEEE...... :D

Would my PSU handle 2 of these though, spec in sig, Corsair AX860w PSU ?

Also GTA V, as no doubt be the same as the X, a stuttering, hitching mess, hmm.

Back
Top Bottom