Rant - London rent prices...

Associate
OP
I dont quite understand why you think a couple need 4 bedrooms. And I don't expect London to have many big country houses with room to waste.

There's more than enough 1 bedroom properties on Rightmove for under £500 PCM - 114 currently with some near the centre of London: Rightmove

Everyone's an expert on OcUK aren't they? If you actually click on the adverts you'll find they're either parking spaces or flatshares. People like to lie a lot too when advertising these places which makes finding places even more difficult.

Caporegime
Everyone's an expert on OcUK aren't they? If you actually click on the adverts you'll find they're either parking spaces or flatshares. People like to lie a lot too when advertising these places which makes finding places even more difficult.

It's the same whenever someone complains of not being able to find work - someone links to Universal Jobmatch and proclaims there to be thousands of jobs, the majority of which are adverts for bogus training courses or want self-employed couriers with their own vehicles to be paid on a per-parcel basis.

The desire to try and win arguments by pasting links is overwhelming.

Soldato
I dont quite understand why you think a couple need 4 bedrooms. And I don't expect London to have many big country houses with room to waste.

There's more than enough 1 bedroom properties on Rightmove for under £500 PCM - 114 currently with some near the centre of London: Rightmove

One of the funniest posts I've seen in a while.

1 bedroom properties in London for 500 pcm? Hahahaha.

They will all be just a room.

Soldato
Pragmatic solution: marry your GF, then you'll get the full student grant :).

edit: impractical solution: invent a time machine and go back in time to tell yourself not to go to university in a city well known for being horrendously expensive to live in.

Last edited:
Soldato
On a serious note, even a full student loan and grant won't get you the 2 bed flat you want in zones 1 to 4.

1 bed flats are £1k+ pcm in zones 1 to 4. Zone 4 is the closest you'll get with a £1k budget.

Unless you fancy spending £12k + bills a year, you need to find a house share with other students.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants

Using the calculator, the most you can get each is £6,316 loan and £3,387 grant for the 2015/2016 year.

Spending £12k+bills of your combined £19.4k income seems a bit much. Presumably you have other costs such as travel (including zone 1), clothes, food, learning materials.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Good grief OP I shared a room while at university for 3 years... Isn't Slumming it part of the charm of being a student and motivation to study hard and work towards your future? Your sense of entitlement seems over inflated. Trust me in 10 years time you'll look back on these so called tough times and be thankful for what they taught you.

Soldato
edit: impractical solution: invent a time machine and go back in time to tell yourself not to go to university in a city well known for being horrendously expensive to live in.

I'd say that's pretty practical, tbh.

Good grief OP I shared a room while at university for 3 years... Isn't Slumming it part of the charm of being a student and motivation to study hard and work towards your future? Your sense of entitlement seems over inflated. Trust me in 10 years time you'll look back on these so called tough times and be thankful for what they taught you.

Or he'll turn into a self-entitled ****. You know the type...

Soldato

The OP somehow thinks that a student should enjoy the same comforts as someone with a job in London. Median Salary in inner London is £34k.

Two bed properties are likely to have 2 earners.

Expectations are way too high.

Citation needed.

Same. Paris is notoriously expensive unless you get social housing.

Soldato
really..... there are families with multiple children (who work hard) who can't afford to do that outside of London. You're a student studying in London (bad choice of location in my opinion being the capital and all that :rolleyes:), you're not supposed to be living in a life of luxury.

4 bedrooms for 2 people, who will likely be in the same bed anyway is overkill, I can understand 2 bedrooms but 4.... and I live in the countryside and always had 2 rooms (bedroom and a room that was kind of my own space and or office) while growing up :rolleyes:

At uni I shared with other people and had one room, it's part of uni life. Lower your standards/expectations and you might find somewhere although £1000 a month isn't a lot in London

Agreed. I am amazed that op thinks a 4 bed would be deserved.

I had 1 bedroom in a shared property every year at uni (in Manchester) and I think that is standard for students. There is no reason why students should be able to afford to live nicely in one of the wealthiest and hence most expensive cities in the world.

I rent out a 1 bed for over 2k in London, great, but we also can't afford the family home we would like in London at the moment, so we have to live outside the m25. It is just common sense market forces and I don't know why you are complaining about it.

Associate
It's become a big issue for the universities in London. Student numbers are down.
One solution could be for each borough to build flats for student accommodation only. That will free up other properties. The flats would remain in the hands of the state and can not be sold off.
Get in there Jeremy Corbyn.

Soldato
It's become a big issue for the universities in London. Student numbers are down.
One solution could be for each borough to build flats for student accommodation only. That will free up other properties. The flats would remain in the hands of the state and can not be sold off.
Get in there Jeremy Corbyn.

Who would subsidise that? When councils are struggling to house their own residents, I don't think they should be spending money on subsidising students.

Universities already subsidise student accommodation they own. However, they only can generally support first year students.

Back
Top Bottom