* The Metal Thread *

Soldato
Despite my username, haven't listened to Opeth in a long time.

Been listing to their first two albums over the last two days in FLAC.

Wow. Just Wow.

Morningrise is an absolute musical Odyssey.

I so hope they return to their origins and abandon this new prog stuff they've been making over the last few years.

IIRC Mike's said for a few years now he isn't really into death metal any more, or growling so I'd abandon any hope. Many bands that start off hard/angry soften over time or - minus a few exceptions - just end up sounding like they either lack the same conviction or they're going through the motions, which I guess has to do with the energy/anger of youth fading with age for most. They're doing what they want to do, which unfortunately isn't what you or I want them to do.

Was just listening to Still Life at work actually <3

Soldato
IIRC Mike's said for a few years now he isn't really into death metal any more, or growling so I'd abandon any hope. Many bands that start off hard/angry soften over time or - minus a few exceptions - just end up sounding like they either lack the same conviction or they're going through the motions, which I guess has to do with the energy/anger of youth fading with age for most. They're doing what they want to do, which unfortunately isn't what you or I want them to do.

Was just listening to Still Life at work actually <3

I get what your saying about bands losing their anger as they mellow with age and Opeth are getting on a bit now!

But I never really found Opeth an 'angry' band. The last two albums are too fluffy for my liking. They used to make such epic compositions (clean or cookie monster vocals) It's just not the same now. :(

Also back on point regarding Morningrise, at some points I was thinking 'wow, this sounds like Pink Floyd'.

It's strange that you can come back to music you've listened to inside and out, and yet hear something new.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah they were never angry, but death vox definitely fall into the 'hard' catergory. I doubt doubt they might make another record with a bit more distortion of whatever but it doesn't seem like Mike will be doing vox like this again on record:

Soldato
I never knew there was a metal thread on here! On a side note, never seen Clutch, but they look wicked live. If they play in Wolverhampton I might just have to go and see them.

Let me throw this into the works...

i bloody love this band

RIP
they were hit and miss until woods V, best album hands down

Soldato
Bring Me The Horizon albums. Both are very very good, and well worth a listen.

Yea, they're now a radio band well, have been for a long time, just like the new Parkway Drive album, ive listened to 5 songs, I don't think any of them have gone above 120bpm. Its boring, really boring :(

Im just glad youtube exists so I didn't waste my money.

Luckily some bands are still making heavy music.....

Aversions Crown are my new favs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom