Knife Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Very nice indeed.
One day, one day. I'll get a very nice set. But not while I'm back Ina. Random shared house as everything always gets broken.

Man of Honour
Wow. That is very shiny.

It would be wasted on me. I think I need to destroy several more knives with my terrible upkeep and lack of sharpening skills before I get something so awesome.

Man of Honour
I bought a Robert Welch Signature Knife Block set the other week. Matched our kitchen and my god they are sharp. I could have spent ages reading up and finding the sharpest most 5 star ones I suppose, but this seemed a good set so bought it.

IMG_0935_zpsccy7sbkr.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend some plastic chopping boards?

I have bought two different types of cheap ones - Tesco and IKEA I think. However both now curl and don't lie flat. So any that stay flat and easy to wash?

Soldato
Moving into a new place shortley so me and the missus are on the hunt for some knives amongst other bits. Don't want to spend too much currently say up to £100 for a good set? What do you guys recommend? We love to cook if that helps!

Associate
Can anyone recommend some plastic chopping boards?

I have bought two different types of cheap ones - Tesco and IKEA I think. However both now curl and don't lie flat. So any that stay flat and easy to wash?

I just bought this, pretty standard stuff in professional kitchens. Average size for a kitchen, but probably about as big as you could ever need in a home.

P.s. apologies if links to Amazon aren't welcome, fully understand why, but given OcUK don't sell chopping boards I figured it would be ok.

Associate
Moving into a new place shortley so me and the missus are on the hunt for some knives amongst other bits. Don't want to spend too much currently say up to £100 for a good set? What do you guys recommend? We love to cook if that helps!

Take a look around Cutting Edge Knives. I just bought an absolute beaut from there, arrived the next day. Even give you a couple of blue plasters, which you will need! :D

I've lost my phone, and I have a super hipster 2002 model atm, so can't take a picture, but the fella I just bought is...

imagegen.ashx

...absolutely stunning. Goes through bone like butter (lie: never cut bone with a carbon steel blade..you will destroy it).

Soldato
Bought myself a Victorinox 20cm chef knife, but the sheath it came in is totally inadequate and the blade will not fit in my existing knife block. So, can anyone recommend a decent sheath/guard to protect the blade? Something cheap is preferable as this will be solely for use within the home.

Soldato

just watched this. absolutely beautiful.

Yeah :) nice stuff.

There's a show you might be able to find on tinternet somewhere called 'Forged in Fire'. It's a bit like Ready Steady Cook but for Blacksmith/Bladesmiths. Most of the main projects are big swords of some kind but the elimination rounds are spent making knifes and even some of those look pretty damn good considering they're rushed (made in 3-4 hours).

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on Victoronix knives? Looking for a nice entry point into the world of good knives as we're moving into a new place! Any other recommendations?

Soldato
I bought a Robert Welch Signature Knife Block set the other week. Matched our kitchen and my god they are sharp. I could have spent ages reading up and finding the sharpest most 5 star ones I suppose, but this seemed a good set so bought it.

IMG_0935_zpsccy7sbkr.jpg

I have a couple of chef knives and a pairing knife. Great knives and you have got yourself a nice set there :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
The handle on my Global decided to snap whilst chopping carrots tonight :(. I've always looked after it (never dropped it, and it's never sat in water) and there was zero indication it was going to go. As it snapped it sliced my finger too which was nice. Oh well, I was thinking of getting a new knife anyway.

Those Masakage's look gorgeous, how would they compare to say the Hattori HD which a lot of people rave about? (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html). I'm looking for the best value for money knife - and by that I mean I don't mind if it costs £150 as long as a £70 knife isn't as good.

I do quite like Japanese knives and their sharpness but I'm open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom