Overnight Oatmeal

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Been having these for a while now. My usual is oats, ground flax seed, chia seeds, Greek yoghurt, almond milk, honey and a handful of fruit - mostly berries of some sort. My favourite is with frozen cherries - yum.

Associate
I've been enjoying overnight oats for the last few months. I tend to either just have them plain (oats and skimmed milk) or with a few sultanas thrown in. Didn't really care for them with fruit for some reason :confused:

Where do people buy their chia seed - seems reasonably expensive from a quick Google - what benefits does this have? Is adding some sort of protein/whey powder worth it for the average joe, I'm not into body building but I do try and eat semi-healthy.

Permabanned
Bought my Chia seed from Amazon. Think it was around £8 for a 1KG bag which is a decent price compared to health shops or Tesco.

And adding protein/whey powder depends on the rest of your diet.

Commissario
My standard frozen fruit mix for this is now 50g frozen cherries from Tesco (thanks Stan) and 50g frozen blueberries. I've moved to the larger cut oats because I just prefer the texture and since the co-op stopped doing their low fat greek style yoghurt, I've settled on the Sainsbury own brand version.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My standard frozen fruit mix for this is now 50g frozen cherries from Tesco (thanks Stan) and 50g frozen blueberries. I've moved to the larger cut oats because I just prefer the texture and since the co-op stopped doing their low fat greek style yoghurt, I've settled on the Sainsbury own brand version.

You're welcome. Those cherries are lush.

I also use the bigger oats (Scotts Old Fashioned). I like the Rachel's organic Greek style natural fat free yogurt in mine.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
5g chia seeds
50g oats (original is better, big flake ones)
80g yogurt (i use vanilla)
120g almond milk, choc milk, coconut milk
50g fruit ( i use frozen as its cheaper)

Put all in a tub, stir and leave in fridge overnight)

For the days i train before work i add a scoop of vanilla ice cream protein powder.

Nom nom nom.

Permabanned
5g chia seeds
50g oats (original is better, big flake ones)
80g yogurt (i use vanilla)
120g almond milk, choc milk, coconut milk
50g fruit ( i use frozen as its cheaper)

Put all in a tub, stir and leave in fridge overnight)

For the days i train before work i add a scoop of vanilla ice cream protein powder.

Nom nom nom.

Shall be giving that a go though as looks pretty damn tasty. Whenever I've tried to make it before it's not tasted brilliant so hoping for better results next time.

Milk - Do you mean ml? And is that 120g/ml combined or of each/either?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I know its breaks all convention, but i use the digi scales and 120g of whatever liquid of choice works. I use the ALPRO soya stuff. (I hang my head in shame for breaking SI convetion of using weight to measure liquids)

Forgot to mention, only put the powder in before you eat it and give it another stir, turns it thicker but i prefer it. Just add more liquid if needs be the night before.

Permabanned
Made a few portions last night but used plain greek style yoghurt as didn't have anything else in. I managed to get the texture pretty much spot on but it lacks flavour unfortunately. Used Almond milk, chia seeds, greek style yoghurt, oats and dark cherries (frozen Tesco).

Going to try and see if some vanillia extract or something will work as don't fancy a yoghurt full of sugar which most of them seem to be these days.

Caporegime
Made a few portions last night but used plain greek style yoghurt as didn't have anything else in. I managed to get the texture pretty much spot on but it lacks flavour unfortunately. Used Almond milk, chia seeds, greek style yoghurt, oats and dark cherries (frozen Tesco).

Going to try and see if some vanillia extract or something will work as don't fancy a yoghurt full of sugar which most of them seem to be these days.

Try making it hot, that way it will Taste better. Cold food always has less flavor than hit due to the volatile chemicals and aromatics not evaporating sufficiently. Imagine a cold soggy roast potato vs a hit straight from the roast tasty, world of difference.

Associate
Tried again today and much better than last time.

35g Oats
150g Greek Yoghurt
100ml Semi Milk
100g Frozen mixed fruits
10g of fruit/seed combo
1 large banana

All mixed up and left overnight then this morning I nuked for a couple of mins and added some honey (perhaps too much)

I think next time I'm going to drop the milk and up the oats.

Soldato
60grams oats
125ml skimmed milk
250ml cold water
pinch of salt.

Bring to the boil - keep stirring until you get the consistence you want.

Into the bowl with raspberries, sultana's and a smidge of honey. Warm, filling and good! takes about 5 mins to do.

Back
Top Bottom