PSU pop

Associate
Hi guys

My dark power 900w just went pop after nearly 2 years, got it from the MM and it has served me well,

Had a quick sniff test and the PSU smells of sulphur so its blown, do you think the other components will be fine?

Nothing smells or appears damaged elsewhere

Anyway are there any recommendations for a replacement?

I was looking at
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020094-uk-ca-211-cs.html

Unless someone can give me a few pointers towards something else

Running

A pair of 970's and a 3770 with a load of HDDs

Thanks in advance guys, fallout 4 was just getting good lol

Associate
OP
Couple below, the EVGA gets a 10 year warranty:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £254.08
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Thanks guys would I be better going for the 1000w evga if they do one, as I think the dark power was 900w so not sure if the extra power would be needed but it couldn't hurt right?

Soldato
Had a quick sniff test and the PSU smells of sulphur so its blown, do you think the other components will be fine?

Only way to tell is try it with a new PSU... don't switch the old one on again.

I had one blow once that definitely damaged the motherboard (wasn't dead, but wasn't right either) but that was a no name cheapie that probably didn't have overvoltage protection, etc.

The current one I have shut down instantly on detecting a wiring fault on an LED strip, the other one would probably have gone bang...

Associate
OP
Isn't that likely to be blown cap?

Is that bad for my other components?

I have junked the old supply and I am just waiting till OCUK deliver the new one on Tuesday to see what the damage will be.

Never had a PSU blow so really worried about everything else but the PSU I had was a high quality one so hopefully it sacrificed itself to keep the other bits safe

Back
Top Bottom