Wrapping a Bike

Soldato
Probably one for the parents here!

This may sound like a daft question but it's not something I've ever had to be before and the more I think about it the more I go "how the hell am I going to do that?!"

We've bought our daughter her first bike for Christmas. As it's her first bike I want to put some effort in to wrapping it nicely. But... well... how? It's got to be the most awkwardly shaped thing I've ever considered wrapping up.

How do you do it?!

Man of Honour
Let your other half do it they're always better at these things!

Failing that one large roll of wrapping paper, one large roll of sellotape and just keep wrapping till both are finished :D

Commissario
Take a photograph of the bike, print it, wrap that up in a big box. Leave the bike in the garden shed or outhouse or wherever. Give her the box with the photograph in it.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Take a photograph of the bike, print it, wrap that up in a big box. Leave the bike in the garden shed or outhouse or wherever. Give her the box with the photograph in it.

Doesn't even need to be a big box. the sister in law and her hubby did this a couple of years ago, took photo put it in a small box only slightly bigger than the photo. their little one was initially disappointed at the apparent lack of a 'big' Christmas present. then they opened the box with the photo inside, took a while for them to twig on then i think mayhem ensued while they wrecked the house in excitement looking for the bike

Associate
I would be unimpressed at having to unwrap all of that. :eek:

dam cant get image to display

but do it like this one

http://api.ning.com/files/Vf77AmMae...2s/GW_MTB_Wrapped_in_XMAS_Paper.jpg?width=550

forget that didnt know it was an image from chain reaction

THIS is what i would do

goto a supermarket or furniture place and get some big bits of cardboard

make a shape of something other than a bike and put the bike inside

say like a wendy house, then itll be a suprise when she discovers its a bike

unless she wanted a wendy house then ehhhh go carve the turkey out the way

Last edited:
Soldato

That's what the missus did when we got bikes for our 2 daughters back in the day.

Make sure the doors between the excited kids and their new bicycles are unlocked before giving them the wrapped photos...

Soldato
On my 8th Birthday I had opened all of my presents and was really happy with them. After a few minutes my dad then asked me to go and get him something from the kitchen. When I walked into the kitchen propped up against the table was a BMX!

The surprise was massive and I have never forgotten it. It is one of my most cherished childhood memories. So there is an alternative idea if you don't want to wrap it OP.

Soldato
Loosen the headset bolt and turn the handle bars 90 degree so bike is almost a flat object then wrap up. If you wanted to be sure you could put some cardboard over pedals to help stop paper ripping. Then come Christmas day you just need to straighten handle bars and tighten bolt and off you go.

Soldato
OP
Further information - we live in a fairly small flat and therefore don't have a garage/shed/private garden area so anything involving them is a no go.

The letterbox is also in a communal area so no amount of poo would affect our daily living before someone suggests it :p

Back
Top Bottom