• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury(X) Fiji Owners Thread

Nem

Nem

Associate
Is the GPU temp in the MSI afterburner software ok to go by? I've been running 3d Mark, couple of hours of gaming and the max temperature is still only 40 degrees. It's got the EK block on it in my gfx/cpu loop and it still on stock speeds but that does seem very good indeed.

Soldato
Is the GPU temp in the MSI afterburner software ok to go by? I've been running 3d Mark, couple of hours of gaming and the max temperature is still only 40 degrees. It's got the EK block on it in my gfx/cpu loop and it still on stock speeds but that does seem very good indeed.

The EK block if very efficient on the Nano.

A month ago was a test on Guru3d where they used the 360 Predator and the EK Nano waterblock. The Nano ramming through benchmarks, while overclocked and didn't warm up more than 38C!!!!!!!! While it was idling at 36.

While the 4790 was boiling at 74C in the same loop!!!!

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ek_predator_360_aio_cpu_gpu_liquid_cooling_review,14.html

Asked EK if they still provide filling services, because it shows out of stock on their website. The EK Predator 360 custom AIO setup looks interesting and quick solution, for £199 at OCUK, shame OCUK doesn't sell the R9 Nano blocks.

Associate
Well, I think I just found a solution for the coil whine.. I flashed my Fury X to a Fury Nano Bios (015.049.000.004.006114), works perfectly, performance is a bit down but the coil whine is nearly inaudible, can only hear it if I stick my ear to the case.

I know this is not the ideal solution as I paid for a Fury X and not a Nano but after replacing 2 cards and still getting the coil whine, I had to try something!!

To me, the coil whine is definitely power related as the Nano is clocked to 1000 (GPU) against 1050 for the X and the power draw is a lot less on the Nano.

Anyway, for those who want a temporary fix and had enough of hearing that awful whining.. Try the Nano Bios :D

Soldato
Well, I think I just found a solution for the coil whine.. I flashed my Fury X to a Fury Nano Bios (015.049.000.004.006114), works perfectly, performance is a bit down but the coil whine is nearly inaudible, can only hear it if I stick my ear to the case.

I know this is not the ideal solution as I paid for a Fury X and not a Nano but after replacing 2 cards and still getting the coil whine, I had to try something!!

To me, the coil whine is definitely power related as the Nano is clocked to 1000 (GPU) against 1050 for the X and the power draw is a lot less on the Nano.

Anyway, for those who want a temporary fix and had enough of hearing that awful whining.. Try the Nano Bios :D

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! That's a grand job well done ;)

Soldato

Good one mate.

My Nano has bit coil whine, same as the GTX780 and the 295X2. However after few months of heavy use both the other 2 cards got "cured".

And only on certain places like the Total War Rome 2 / Attila main window.
Ingame none of them had coil whine.

Regarding your performance drop, you can overclock the card and you are good to go. First try last night my Nano went to 1070/520 so actually you haven't lost performance, especially with your card who has more power allowance. Just clock it using Trixx.

Caporegime

Jesus, that seems a little extreme to me!!??? If that's the case it really does seem that AMD pushed the Fury X *well* beyond its capabilities in order to compete with the Ti!! :eek:

Soldato
Frame limiter stops this, put it at 150FPS or something. its because the card is trying to kick out 800fps on the window.

Cheers

Set the limiter to 60 now, since the monitor I am using atm until BenQ replaces the 2730Z, can only be connected over the HDMI and supports 60hz only.

Tested and actually works :)

Thank you

X3T

X3T

Associate
Finally got around to building my new PC. Got the EK blocks on my Fury X's:

9xxMzWd.jpg

Does anybody know what the silver panels are for? Or are they just cosmetic :cool:

X3T

X3T

Associate
Thats just greedy :)
Yeah I know, I bought one originally then thought sod it :D Saves the effort of taking apart the loop to upgrade later on.

I really like the backplate you have on yours, makes me wonder if I made the right choice with just black.

Nem

Nem

Associate
Yeah I know, I bought one originally then thought sod it :D Saves the effort of taking apart the loop to upgrade later on.

I really like the backplate you have on yours, makes me wonder if I made the right choice with just black.

Well my whole build is aqua/light blue themed so just went really well.

One tip tho, if you have case with a window and it's in view, and unless you really want the flashing lights on for the activity, then turn them off, damn annoying if I'm honest.

Only other thing is the coil / static noise now, only at full load but it's annoying :(

Soldato
Only other thing is the coil / static noise now, only at full load but it's annoying :(

Let them run few months. As I said above, all 3 of my last cards suffered.
GTX780 Ghz, 295X2 and Nano. The first two, after few months heavy loading were cured. The Nano I use the limiter because it only complains on startup screens then it tries to dish hundreds of fps.

Caporegime
Nice one Kaap. Here's a fun fact for all your Fiji overclockers.

Fiji’s MCLK overdrives in discrete steps, so while various overclocking tools are increasing in 5Mhz steps the MCLK is actually only able to support 500.00/545.45/600.00/666.66MHz and right now it just rounds to the nearest step. If you are intending to overclock HBM on Fiji, then 545Mhz works well on all four of my Fury X cards. 600MHZ proved a step too far on each card and resulted in instability.

So for all those people setting their MCLK at 570Mhz, it's actually running at 545Mhz. :)

Soldato
Nice one Kaap. Here's a fun fact for all your Fiji overclockers.

Fiji’s MCLK overdrives in discrete steps, so while various overclocking tools are increasing in 5Mhz steps the MCLK is actually only able to support 500.00/545.45/600.00/666.66MHz and right now it just rounds to the nearest step. If you are intending to overclock HBM on Fiji, then 545Mhz works well on all four of my Fury X cards. 600MHZ proved a step too far on each card and resulted in instability.

So for all those people setting their MCLK at 570Mhz, it's actually running at 545Mhz. :)

Nice info, thanks Matt. :)

Soldato
I currently have an AMD Radeon R9 270 (with a Xeon X5650 @ 4 GHz) and it's been perfect for the games I've played up until now (typically a few years old or CPU bound). Recently I've been playing Dying Light and I basically can't get 60 FPS even with all graphics settings on minimum (including draw distance). My friend has a GTX 960 and while she has better FPS, it's still nowhere near a smooth 60.

I've been looking at cards that supposedly allow very high or max settings at 1080p and medium settings at 1440p, and it basically seems to come down to the R9 390 and the GTX 970. From what I can tell, the R9 390 is faster than the GTX 970 in most games, has double the VRAM, and is also slightly cheaper. Is it a no brainer at this price point? Are there other cards that would provide better future proofing for not much more money?

Back
Top Bottom