Carpet

Soldato
Perhaps daft questions, but never ordered carpet.

I'm carpeting an L shaped room so I assume I'd have to measure it as if that L was squared off and accept the wastage?

How much extra (size) should I add to my order overall so that the fitter has enough to play with? (for example, would am extra 300mm be usual when ordering? Or more/less?

Soldato
Depends on where its ordered from. Some places can cut it to the size you need so allow at least 10cm in each direction to allow for it shrinking.

You can either order it as a large square and cut off the bit you don't need or order it as a length and join them together.
Some fitters can do joins really well, some can't (and those that can't can be reluctant to pay for more carpet after they've screwed it up).

Soldato
Take your measurements to Franks, Storeys, etc and play them off against price. They all sell the same carpets just different names to them. It might be best to get them or your fitter to measure your rooms before you actually buy the carpet to be 100% sure if you're not confident.

Soldato
So the consensus is avoid Carpetright. I assume it's still best to go to them to view and then buy online?

Id say at the very least buy underlay online.

We got a decent end of roll carpet for bedroom for £80 from carpet right. They didn't even try and hard sells on us which surprised me.

They are fine for getting a look and feel of things, then maybe do a bit of online scouting afterwards.

Shops make big bucks on underlay from what I gather.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I presume the measurements for the room would be wall to wall rather than skirting to skirting (the carpet lies below the skirting board)?

Soldato
I presume the measurements for the room would be wall to wall rather than skirting to skirting (the carpet lies below the skirting board)?

Below skirting looks nice enough but its a pain when it comes time to change carpets, or if you have suspended floors.

Soldato
We ordered a carpet from a highstreet provider Dec '14. Arrived with a fault. 2 weeks later, replacement was fitted, but after a few months it became apparent that faults were present in that too.

Today, a replacement arrived (I left it a year as we had work in the house ongoing). They chopped up the old carpet, rolled out replacement....guess what. Fault.

Losing the will to live now. Is it really that hard?

Caporegime
Does anyone know a decent carpet fitter around Solihull / Moseley?

The local indie shop we were looking at getting everything from is charging a silly amount for fitting.

Soldato
We're currently looking at carpet for the house. Decided to go 100% wool as all the polypropylene carpet whilst softer feeling, wears down after time especially on stairs and general walkways. If you buy a nice double loop 100% wool carpet it will last a lot longer and the outlay isn't that much more ~£20-25 sqm.

Back
Top Bottom