*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I presume you still require a dish for Sky Q? We can't have one (conservation area) and are pretty much forced to have Virgin. It's not bad currently, but it would be good to have the option!

Caporegime
Yup, that's what I was told.

I pay sky a stupid amount a month (£100+) for the full package and 3 multi room subs. My 2tb box has packed up so I thought it would be a good opportunity to investigate the benefits of Sky Q so gave them a ring. The gist of the conversation I had with their (very nice and polite) customer service rep was :-

My monthly cost would reduce to £88
I had to pay £99 for the equipment (main box and satellite box)
I had to pay £50 for installation
In order to replicate my current package I would have to pay for an extra 2 x £99 satellite boxes.

This brought my total outlay to around £350 in order to save something like £20 per month over an 18 month contract. In order to do this I would only be able to watch live tv on 3 of the 4 boxes at a time and would only have 2tb of total storage instead of what I currently have and would obviously have everything stored in one central location - all things I knew about of course but weighing up against the £350 it was less than attractive.

It was at this point she told me I couldn't have it anyway because my broadband is with BT and they were only giving it to Sky Broadband and/or phone customers. I double checked this by enquiring if my imaginary next door neighbour on the lowest Sky package for a month and a £10 pm broadband deal would be able to get it whilst I with my 20+ years of full price subscription would not. She confirmed that this was the case. She asked me if I would be interested in Sky buying out my current broadband contract so I could switch to them instead - I politely declined.

She then told me I could pay £269 for a replacement 2Tb box.

Seriously tempted to return to my Bein Sports Sub for football and just download everything else!!

Don't forget also that the Sky Q mini boxes do not record, only the main Sky Q Silver box records.

In our house we have three Sky+ HD multi room boxes, one in living room, one in main bedroom, and one in the daughters bedroom. So all record and play independently of each other.

So moving across to Sky Q would be a backwards step for us as with Q only the main box records max of 4 channels, where currently we have the option of recording six channels simultaneously.

Man of Honour
OP
Order is in for April 8th. :D

ordered this morning delivery 6th April

Just seen this on the Sky Forum:

Non Sky Broadband customers can only order over the phone for the time being.

The first installs will begin on the 12th of April. I'm aware there are a few who have been provided with an earlier date and we'll be in touch shortly with these individuals to advise further.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

So we may go back a few days.

Soldato
Mine's lovely... very good functionality and saving me money every month as well... seems decent at moment...

The one thing that astounds me is, the mini boxes not being 4k... once again Sky goes 95% there then fails! However, bar that, everything I want is there. The only thing I'd say is, 2TB won't be enough... I think they should put 4TB in as standard, sick of this penny pinching... I had to upgrade all my SkyHS boxes to 2tb in the house as the standard ones filled.

Come on guys it's 2016 ffs... just put large discs in for petes sake!

Soldato
Mine's lovely... very good functionality and saving me money every month as well... seems decent at moment...

The one thing that astounds me is, the mini boxes not being 4k... once again Sky goes 95% there then fails! However, bar that, everything I want is there. The only thing I'd say is, 2TB won't be enough... I think they should put 4TB in as standard, sick of this penny pinching... I had to upgrade all my SkyHS boxes to 2tb in the house as the standard ones filled.

Come on guys it's 2016 ffs... just put large discs in for petes sake!

I've never understood why they are so small, don't the normal HD ones only come with 500 gig or something? HD boxes must almost cost pennies to make.

Back
Top Bottom