• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Pascal Review thread

Soldato
I imagine this will be a popular card and the likes of EK will bring out blocks for EVGA/MSI/Asus non ref cards, so not true on that part.
Em...different vendors would not have a unified design for the PCB, so how is EK going to be able to design a block that will fit (and work well) on all of them?

In terms of compatibility of block with non-reference card, just thinking back about people asking about watercooling their non-reference card...nobody could really answer for sure if the waterblock would be compatible for cards with custom PCB. Somehow I got a feeling that Nvidia will dictate that AIB partners are not allow to use reference design for their PCB for the custom cards...so the only option is probably custom "hydro" cards with pre-fitted block or go for the more expensive reference card.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quick skim through Anandtech and the 1080 looks excellent, 25-40% faster than the 980Ti, over 50w less power and decently quieter. If Anything nvidia underplayed how much faster the 1080.

Shame about the price but that will drop once the price gouging ends.

Soldato
Long as the 1070 beats a 970 it will be a winner for less money well hopefully less money.
It certainly won't be a winner in my eyes if it only beats a 970, especially given Nvidia claimed the other day that it'd beat a 980 Ti. I'd be absolutely stunned if it wasn't closer to 980 pricing than 970 pricing as well. I don't see Nvidia having a £300 price gap between it and the 1080.

Caporegime
Also interesting in newer games Like Hitman and Tomb raider the performance increase is even bigger, as suspected when designing a future looking architecture for next gen games. 1080 is 42% faster than the 980Ti here. Didn't expect such a performance leap, was think more like 20-30%, not 30-45%.

Soldato
The problem is,as noted, by most here very few of the GTX980TI cards are running at reference speeds - the GTX1080 is only around 10% faster than the Gigabyte GTX980TI Extreme Gaming which is cheaper and that is going by the TechPowerUp reviews.

Hopefully,the non-reference coolers will do a better job.

Soldato
£619 seems a tad much, then again I wasn't planning on buying on launch. Gonna give it a month or two to see what third party stuff comes out and see what AMD do.

Soldato
Interesting card, poor price.. But it's NVidia so people will lap them up.. :(

@ £620 for what is effectively a mid-range card is just lol.. I appreciate the engineering and the effort that goes into producing graphics chips, but for the mainstream they are pricing themselves out of the market. @£620 it's just too much, borderline taking the ****.

I'd hardly call it a mid range card. The gtx980 still isn't mid range to me.

Soldato
So 25% of the shaders shaved off along with some other cutbacks, regular GDDR5 on a 256-bit bus and a lower base clock. Be interesting to see how it fares against a 980 Ti overclock vs overclock, given a 1080 seems to only manage a 15% or so lead...

Going by the 6.75 TFLOP/s on the 1070 against the 8.2TFLOPS/s(from non boost clock) on the 1080 - that's 15%(rounded up) slower than the 1080.

Looking at that link I would have thought it would have been slower.

Caporegime
The problem is,as noted, by most here very few of the GTX980TI cards are running at reference speeds - the GTX1080 is only around 10% faster than the Gigabyte GTX980TI Extreme Gaming which is cheaper and that is going by the TechPowerUp reviews.

Hopefully,the non-reference coolers will do a better job.

We will see the same with the 1080 though, most will end up being overclocked quite significantly. We will see int he coming weeks but looks like there will be lots of Factory OC cards at 2.1GHZ or so.

The 1080 almost certainly has more OC headroom, less power, cooler running car designed for high clocks.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
So much for the card being super cool. Seems NVIDIA was Cherry picking at the event, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to hit 2Ghz at 67 degrees.

At load the card always seems to be at the normal 80+ for temps under load.

no it was a trick with vsync
i said it at the time, and i spotted it when drunk so shame on them guys lol

Back
Top Bottom