*** 4K Player Thread ***

Caporegime
Definitely on the look out for a 4K player but considering holding off until we get some idea on the PS4.5 price. Could be worth waiting and getting that instead.

Associate
nah still problems , I tried the supplied cable same issue, the original cables I bought were expensive fully wired with Ethernet and work fine sending a pic from my NVidia 970 at 4k res playing a 4k video file.

:( also bought a new amp denon avr2200 hdmi 2.2 support etc still black screen, i'm returning the player to get a replacement I think only option.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is probably a stupid question but will the PS4 or Xbox One be upgraded via an OS update to allow you to play 4k blu-rays? If not I guess I'll hold off on upgrading to a 4k TV. Doesn't seem to be much point if I've got no 4k content to play on it.

Soldato
This is probably a stupid question but will the PS4 or Xbox One be upgraded via an OS update to allow you to play 4k blu-rays? If not I guess I'll hold off on upgrading to a 4k TV. Doesn't seem to be much point if I've got no 4k content to play on it.

There is rumour of a new revision of the PS4 and Xbox One coming out soon which will hopefully support 4K Blu-ray playback but as yet nothing has been confirmed :)

The current ps4/xbox do not support HDMI 2.0 so i dont think its possible via OS update it would require a hardware update.

Hopefully something will be announced in june at E3 Expo

Soldato

Everything thats been said about the PS4.5 is APU related, and Sony have specifically not mentioned (yet) whether it will have 4k blu ray drive or not.

Associate

Not possible with software update, needs new optical drive and new HDMI connection.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Lets see how farcical it is when (it wont be a case of "if" , either) it ships in the millions shall we :D

im sure it will if its like the ps3 was and is the market leading 4k player for a few years and cheaper than stand alone ones.

hell il probably buy one myself :D

Associate
Picked up a Panasonic DMP-UB900, which is a great machine but due to my lack of research threw up a sudden and unplanned upgrade frenzy.

1. - Plugged it into my Samsung UE48HU7500 only to find that while all the HDMI ports are Version 2.0, the only one that supports HDCP 2.2 is the only port that you can't turn on UHD Colour Mode, the upshot being I could watch UHD Blu-Rays but without any of the benifits of enhanced colour.
2. - I then hear tell of the fabled SEK-3500u Evolution kit which is an external box that basically replaces all processing/connectivity for the TV. This supports HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on all ports and due to the Octa-core CPU upgrade allows for HDR support as well (Limited by the panels capabilities of course). SEK-3500u costs £399 for UK variant and rarer than rocking horse scat and couldn't be found in stock anywhere. I then decide to take the plunge and order one from Germany for £292 which while not officially supported would in theory work, except for the TV tuner which I don't use anyway as I am on Virgin Media.
3. - All installed and working and UHD Blu-Rays are now a thing of absolute beauty, now to sit down and enjoy the experience. Hang on why is there no sound coming out of the rear left channel of my system and some hissing coming out of the right rear channel. Crap, my LG 9.1 Home Cinema In A Box has just crapped out and nothing would persuade it to come back.
4. - Onkyo 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Amp/Speaker package purchased, installed and two weeks and a lot of unplanned expenditure later I am ready to watch Mad Max:Fury Road in it's full glory on UHD Blu-Ray.

Now, I understand that I am not getting the full benifit on HDR with my current setup but believe me compared to normal Blu-Ray and my tests before the Evo kit was installed, it looks fantastic.

Associate
Picked up a Panasonic DMP-UB900, which is a great machine but due to my lack of research threw up a sudden and unplanned upgrade frenzy.

1. - Plugged it into my Samsung UE48HU7500 only to find that while all the HDMI ports are Version 2.0, the only one that supports HDCP 2.2 is the only port that you can't turn on UHD Colour Mode, the upshot being I could watch UHD Blu-Rays but without any of the benifits of enhanced colour.
2. - I then hear tell of the fabled SEK-3500u Evolution kit which is an external box that basically replaces all processing/connectivity for the TV. This supports HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on all ports and due to the Octa-core CPU upgrade allows for HDR support as well (Limited by the panels capabilities of course). SEK-3500u costs £399 for UK variant and rarer than rocking horse scat and couldn't be found in stock anywhere. I then decide to take the plunge and order one from Germany for £292 which while not officially supported would in theory work, except for the TV tuner which I don't use anyway as I am on Virgin Media.
3. - All installed and working and UHD Blu-Rays are now a thing of absolute beauty, now to sit down and enjoy the experience. Hang on why is there no sound coming out of the rear left channel of my system and some hissing coming out of the right rear channel. Crap, my LG 9.1 Home Cinema In A Box has just crapped out and nothing would persuade it to come back.
4. - Onkyo 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Amp/Speaker package purchased, installed and two weeks and a lot of unplanned expenditure later I am ready to watch Mad Max:Fury Road in it's full glory on UHD Blu-Ray.

Now, I understand that I am not getting the full benifit on HDR with my current setup but believe me compared to normal Blu-Ray and my tests before the Evo kit was installed, it looks fantastic.

Just be aware that some of the first discs including Mad Max are not true 4K because they weren't filmed that way, The Revenant is and is supposed to be the best picture so far. Preordered mine. But I have to wait to get a new TV later this year as my TV is not HDR.

Back
Top Bottom