How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Soldato
So...

Im a racist because i have actualy seen and experienced these things

Rather than just googling and pulling a lot of figures up of the internet.

Thank you for that

I googled to double check my facts before posting, but I don't think your racist (though I know you're not replying to me) from you post, just misguided.
The human brain notices differences, you see/hear an immigrant you remember, you see 90 white British it don't even register cause it's the norm.

Where I live we have considerably more EU migrants, but I don't blame them for the problems with wages and employment. Housing and services would be the areas where they have an impact because we are already over stretched. I don't know how bad the housing market is up north, but there is a massive shortage down here, so immigration just compounds a problem that was already there.

I'm pretty sure we have more Northerners down here than EU migrants, but I don't advocate sending them back either. :)

Soldato
If Ireland has to close it's borders then that would affect my partners family and therefore us.
A lot of them live in Derry and can see a repeat of what they have put behind them happening again. The problems haven't completely gone away yet and checkpoint will juse stir it up again.

Permabanned
I googled to double check my facts before posting, but I don't think your racist (though I know you're not replying to me) from you post, just misguided.
The human brain notices differences, you see/hear an immigrant you remember, you see 90 white British it don't even register cause it's the norm.

Where I live we have considerably more EU migrants, but I don't blame them for the problems with wages and employment. Housing and services would be the areas where they have an impact because we are already over stretched. I don't know how bad the housing market is up north, but there is a massive shortage down here, so immigration just compounds a problem that was already there.

I'm pretty sure we have more Northerners down here than EU migrants, but I don't advocate sending them back either. :)

Services are a bit of a non-argument in my opinion.

3 million came to the UK, 2 million left.

So the total increase in population relating to the EU is 1 million.

But then you look at the distribution of that population migration.

Over 1 million of the people who left are retired persons who have gone to live mostly in Spain, but also France.

While taking their pensions with them, as they were fully entitled to do - they would have been getting those funds whether they stayed or left.

That 1 million are part of the demographic which are a large impact on the NHS which now impact the health system of Spain and France... so that has actually alleviated those services.

Of the 3 million who have come to the UK, the vast majority are young and hard working.

They pay their own contributions for the services they take and in a grander scheme are a lower impact on NHS - but might increase the load on schools (while paying for that increase, mind).

As for housing, the blame there is squarely with the latest UK government. They have purposefully restricted an increase in new built properties in order to artificially inflate the cost of housing. Their "improvement" of the housing market was nothing more than to artificially inflate its value. To build more houses, increasing supply while reducing demand drives the prices down a bit so they thought it would look better on paper rather than reality.

There's more, but those are some of the main points IMO.

Soldato
My company is being heavily affected by the weakness of the pound vs the euro. It will reduce profit massively this year and that's without any further negative impact on retail sales. There is already credible discussion around price increases for products and cost reduction which can mainly be labour savings. All in all its very concerning but completely predictable. I can only imagine that this is a scenario currently being played out in boardrooms around the country.

My mum was intending to retire in the EU within the next 5 years and me and my partner was hoping to setup a business over there also, so for us right now we are a bit unsure what the future holds.

I am of Polish decent and my grandad fought so hard for Britain in the war, he experienced stuff so bad that up until the day he died my nan said he suffered nightmares and sweats, I honestly can't believe the way the vote has gone, I know if he was alive today he would have be been so upset by it.

Soldato
everyone is moaning about how their 401K (pension funds) have lost 1000's of dollars thanks to the Brits...

Its not just affecting people in the UK at the moment.

I think Brexit is nothing compared to what will happen if Trump gets in. I used to think there was no chance but I am getting worried that it might actually happen.

Soldato
If Ireland has to close it's borders then that would affect my partners family and therefore us.
A lot of them live in Derry and can see a repeat of what they have put behind them happening again. The problems haven't completely gone away yet and checkpoint will juse stir it up again.

I can't understand this at all! It's a checkpoint get over it. It's not like we were all half beat to death any time we came to one back in the day.

It may add a whole 2-15 minutes to you whole trip.

Soldato
You clearly have no idea what it's like to have your house raided for no reason, for family members to be dragged off on trumped up charges and to haverify no idea why you are being targeted.

I hope it doesn't happen. Or Ireland gets reunification.

Man of Honour
The main affect on me is I get more angry listening to TV pundits speculation being positioned as fact. Outside of that very little in real terms as I am closer to retirement than starting work and have no kids. My parents are both wealthy and have houses paid for and plenty of cash bank, in my fathers case spread across 35 banks (yes, that's 35 FFS), as he doesn't want to get caught even after all the ring fencing of retail banks over the last few years. No brothers or sisters, no grand parents anymore and my wife just has her dad, who is retired and comfy and brother who is working all over the world and that won't change.

If I feel any risk in the UK (which I won't) I will move and have options that allow me to do that to many different places should I wish. As always by far the biggest risk is health, fitness and wellness of mind, the other stuff is just stuff that affects other people, luckily.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Holiday will be more expensive.

Depends on the impact on London as a financial centre job wise; I work in accountancy and was aiming to move into Private Equity or the like but if they shut up shop and move... so will I.

Soldato
Well my wife already lost her job because of EU red tape, the government harp on about more cuts so maybe the uncertainty could stop people spending thus a wage drop for me, which sucks as we want to get married..

Also wanted to go on holiday next year to the US but not sure we can afford it..

We are used to uncertainty though, awful way to live, but Gov has put us in recessions all through my life, we gain a job, lose a job, we've had good times and bad times..

At the moment I guess we potentially could be affected but we'll get through it, brexit was a kick back at the political class, who clearly haven't cared about the little man for a very long time, george osborne already wanting to cut more rather than pick the pockets of the rich corps and other means.. Nope attack the poor and cut cut cut..

The sooner these regressive morons go the better..

Man of Honour
Just realised I never replied to OP.

Sector speciality is prone, but hopefully they'd keep me on in a cull!

Expecting virtually everything to be more expensive to a degree. I've ordered but not paid for something from the US... expecting it to be several hundred more now :/

Associate
- I charge my clients in USD so if the currency stays where it is ill probably earn about 7-8k extra this year. Im expecting it to recover somewhat before the year is out so im not expecting this to be a lasting benefit. Ill probably do a bit more business with any luck too.

- Hoping we give up free movement to keep access; i quite like traveling across Europe and i have no problem with the levels of immigration so we will see how that goes. If it means fewer European women i will be quite disappointed as they are much prettier than the natives.

- A few imports might be more expensive for me.

- Im terrified of Theresa May being considered as a prime minister. I view her as the most out of touch politician being behind the snoopers charter etc. I am also slightly worried about what policies we might adopt outside of Europe, TTIP for example. We really need to pray for two well represented parties after this turmoil as conservatives and labour seem to be completely up in arms at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I voted out, as how it affects my family no idea

Holidays well i havent been on one for over 15 years, Shares dont own any, Morgate dont have one, Pension dont have one, Savings Nope none of those, I live month to month on just over minimum wage working in excess of 240-300 hours a month as a security guard.

Basically the economy tanking wont really affect you when your Zero hour on Minimum wage.

So all these buisiness leaders who are crying I say cry harder

You might not have any assets that would take a beating going through economic turmoil, but that's not to say you still won't feel the affects.

What if the costs of fuel/electricity/food rises? If you're only living month to month, would you not get hit badly if the food prices rise 5% for example?

If interest shoots up, potentially your rent would increase as well? Even if you're funded/helped by the state, there is still the potential for any funding to be reduced.

Granted no-one knows what's going to happen, but i think you could be affected just as much as any business leader who might be losing thousands.

Soldato
The sooner these regressive morons go the better..

With the state of politics at the moment, that might not happen for a long time.

The EU at least held some reigns on the Tories with things they wanted to implement. Now when the ties are severed it will be like letting a dog loose in a field. The Tories will basically do what they want. With the labour party tearing itself apart, and with the potential of losing Scotland, the Tories won't have much competition when it comes to the next GE.

Back
Top Bottom