• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK RX480 4GB and 8GB review thread

Associate
Oh look another AMD thread with more posts about NVIDIA than AMD - literally doing Nvidias marketing for them even without realising it :p

Anyways I haven't followed the RX 480 news much today... Much more interested in the AIB cards to come.

Is the general consensus 390x/970 performance for the reference 480 then?

Soldato
Doesn't this mean if MSI stick their usual vapour chamber dual fans cooler on it and add 2x6pin...they could have a 480 that's well above standard.

Soldato
So what would be better. Undervolting to reduce thermal throttling or turning the power usage up to just give it sheer oomph. Maybe increase power limit and fan speed up? Would it still throttle?

I'd love to see some results using a watercooler at stock with the power upped. Seems like it's suffering in a similar manner to the Nano, which should be more or less Furyx performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2498-complete-disassembly-of-rx-480-and-road-to-diy-hybrid

No surprise that the card runs hot and gets held by the temps, LOOK AT THAT COOLER!! It's almost non existent. The heatsink is so tiny it looks like something from a £50 GPU from 10 years ago.

Also, powercolor has a giveaway announced for 11th July - looks like AIB cards could come out sooner than we thought?

And:

MSI-Radeon-RX-480-GAMING-X-290x100.jpg

Oh yeah?

xGbMcDul.jpg

That was my MSI 7950 boost

Soldato
Is the general consensus 390x/970 performance for the reference 480 then?

dx11 970/390/390x/980
dx12 980/390x
Huge variance along the way but gameplay/experience seems to be the same across the board.

The strong suit is dx12 and since games like BF1 and dice engine now has dx12 a lot of games from ea will have dx12.

Soldato
It is about on par with Maxwell performance per watt which is on 28nm. Now we know that Samsungs 14nm isn't as good as TSMC 16nm but it surely cannot explain the massive delta between AMD and Nvidia currently.

AFAIK Vega is GCN 4.0 as well and isn't a new architecture. AMD / Samsung / GF might learn something about the process node from the rollout of this chip to help improve Vega - if they don't they will need a 450mm2 chip that that consumes 275w to compete with the 1080.

We don't know that "Samsungs 14nm isn't as good as TSMC 16nm" at all. We know that AMD struggle to design efficient GPUs, that's about it.

Associate
Tad harsh imo. They had some difficult choices to make ~3/4 years ago which we have been seeing play out with tonga/fiji/polaris. I am withholding judgment until we can see the threads of the last few years of effort coming together for 2017. (R&D down the product development pipeline 'from scratch' so to speak).

Associate
You can't really compare efficiency at the low and high end. The high end cards will have some components that have the same consumption in both. But these make up relatively less in higher than the lower end of the total consumption.

Associate
Its not as if he made a blatantly misleading video comparing tessellation between cards....;)

what was misleading about it? im not a huge speccy guy so i watched it after you said this and it seems like its very reasonable. i even watched the follow up.

Caporegime
what was misleading about it? im not a huge speccy guy so i watched it after you said this and it seems like its very reasonable. i even watched the follow up.

It was full of junk that has been proven tin-fooil hat bat guano crazy conspiracy theorists junk time and time again. The guy is a complete and utter fool.

Back
Top Bottom