• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
Please Note a Ti batters a 1060 to be honest! :)

Can we have that sales quote on the web site under any 980 ti please

:p

Scratch that found it!!

Please%20Note%20a%20Ti%20batters%20a%201060%20to%20be%20honest%20.jpg

Soldato
Asus messed up TURBO pricing, but this time in a good way, gotta say this card seems the pick of the bunch when it comes value to money, but hey before you go buying I have no ETA from Asus at present for delivery !!!!

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £238.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Asus...DDR5-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-GX-40F-AS.html

TURBO-GTX1060-6G, Core Clock: 1506MHz, Boost Clock: 1708MHz, Memory: 6144MB 8008MHz GDDR5, Stream Processors: 1280, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £238.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Are you having a laugh? Why would someone buy that garbage cooler model over one of the AIB cards with a better cooler? Just because it says ASUS on it?

Do some people really buy into this different card vendor stuff, actually thinking they're automatically getting a better card because it says ASUS on it? lol.

Soldato
Are you having a laugh? Why would someone buy that garbage cooler model over one of the AIB cards with a better cooler? Just because it says ASUS on it?

Do some people really buy into this different card vendor stuff, actually thinking they're automatically getting a better card because it says ASUS on it? lol.

How's it crap, looks good.

Soldato
Turbo 3.0 is disabled on the founders card.

I0NjODB.png

It does not appear so looking at that - the nearly £300 MSI AIB card is only a few percent faster which sounds about right.

If Turbo was not working on the FE card,the MSI would be significantly faster,ie,like 20% faster or something like that IMHO if the card was not boosting.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
makes more sense than the crazy strix
the mini from evga gets my vote :p
how hot do they get?

Its a 120W card, I can't see them getting hot to be honest, they don't need big silly coolers, so if it was my money I'd just buy Asus Turbo or the Zotac Mini to be honest, both have great warranties and are £240 :)

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Its a 120W card, I can't see them getting hot to be honest, they don't need big silly coolers, so if it was my money I'd just buy Asus Turbo or the Zotac Mini to be honest, both have great warranties and are £240 :)

im with u on the big silly coolers haha
but why would you recommend everything except the evga!
hmhm

Caporegime
Just because they're smaller and lower power doesn't mean you can't have hot spots. Tiny bits of the die that get just as hot as a 28nm card might have.

And all it takes is one little hot spot next to a temp sensor, and that will ramp up the fans to try to cool it. Even if the rest of the die is luke warm.

So even a little 100W card with a blower design cooler can be loud.

Soldato
So the 480 and 1060 seem to be on par with each other. Swings and roundabouts. Both seem ideal for their target markets.

The exchange rate is really causing havoc with the prices though!!

Soldato
I0NjODB.png

It does not appear so looking at that - the nearly £300 MSI AIB card is only a few percent faster which sounds about right.

If Turbo was not working on the FE card,the MSI would be significantly faster,ie,like 20% faster or something like that IMHO if the card was not boosting.

It's not active on the msi one either. It's only 2mhz above its boost clock listing so well within 2.0. The asus strix oc does have it on and boosts higher. Also the 1060 does not scale hugely well with frequency it seems.

Soldato
It's not active on the msi one either. It's only 2mhz above its boost clock listing so well within 2.0. The asus strix oc does have it on and boosts higher. Also the 1060 does not scale hugely well with frequency it seems.

TPU said the card normally boosted upto 1.974GHZ and the gains they saw from overclocking are mostly likely due to the memory overclock(just like with the RX480),as both cards are bandwidth limited it appears.

Edit!!

Looking at the computerbase.de review,depending on the mode,they show the MSI card being more like 6% to 8% faster,but test far less games than TPU.

Modell GPU-Basistakt Maximaltakt Takt (Anno 2205) Speichertakt
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G 1.569 MHz 1.974 MHz 1.936 MHz 4.000 MHz
Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Super JetStream 1.620 MHz 2.025 MHz 1.924-1.949 MHz 4.000 MHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition 1.506 MHz 1.911 MHz 1.810-1.823 MHz 4.000 MHz

Nvidia states the boost clock as 1708MHZ:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1060

All the cards are boosting way past the rated boost clocks.

Last edited:
Associate
If I'm looking for a card for Iray rendering as well as gaming then would I be better going for a 980 rather than the 1060? I'm thinking that the extra CUDA cores will make rendering on the 980 much faster

Associate
Save up a bit more and get a GTX980TI??

it looks like, thanks to SMP, the 1060 MAY be better for VR, for those who intend to get a rift or a vive. basing it on a reads of these two:

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 – VR

The GTX 1060 is a capable VR card, scoring 8.8 in Valve’s rather opaque SteamVR benchmark. In my own testing with Project CARS, which is one of the tougher VR games around, I was able to set the graphics to High and achieve a smooth frame rate with a full grid of cars at a rainy Donington Park. Of course, unlike the GTX 1080, it isn’t able to handle the highest possible settings, but for the money it’s capable enough.

Still, if you’re seriously considering buying a VR headset in the next couple of years, it would be prudent to opt for a higher-end graphics card such as the GTX 1070, just to secure decent performance for future VR titles that might be more graphically challenging.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-review#tljEjVBSxFWaKgU0.99

and...

Virtual Reality

The GTX 1080 is clearly cut out for 4K, but VR is where it truly shines. We can’t benchmark in VR, so I’m drawing on my own personal experience to come to conclusions.

First, I fired up the Oculus Rift and Project CARS, a game that has had a fairly rough ride with VR. For a long time, it wasn’t particularly well optimised for virtual reality, but it also provides a huge amount of flexibility for testing GPU performance.

Related: Everything you need to know about virtual reality

The best test I was able to conduct in this game was to head to Donington Park, turn up the graphics to maximum, switch the weather to rain and start from the back of a 38-car grid. On the GTX 980 this was a nauseatingly unpleasant experience, with a huge amount of judder for the entire race.
image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00002cdc2/0072_orh616w616/Oculus-Rift-2.jpg

Oculus Rift

Switching over to the GTX 1080, things were silky smooth with no hint of judder whatsoever. Frame rates seemed to remain at the crucial 90fps where nausea is less likely.

Rinse and repeat for EVE: Valkyrie – the game felt fantastic even with all the settings turned up to max.

Even without all the impressive new VRWorks features enabled, the GTX 1080 is the best choice when it comes to VR games, and things can only get better as developers start plugging some of Nvidia’s features into their titles.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review#5zs3GRezchrCdKkT.99

Back
Top Bottom