Are international athletes the new crack heads?

Permabanned
In view of recent news stories of rampant performance enhancing drug cheating, is respect for international athletes at an all time low? I remember saying years ago to my wife, an athletics fan, that I suspected as much "winning" occurred in the laboratories of China and Russia as on the field. She begrudgingly acknowledged I was correct last night ;)

I believe China even used drugs on their table tennis players way back in the late sixties, and Russian gymnasts were on cocktails of stuff before routine testing was invoked.

How far is this drug thing going to run, if you'll pardon the pun?

Soldato
I imagine there's going to be a few things being used they haven't or cant pick up with their current set of tests.

Personally I think they should allow whatever they want to dose with in a separate Olympics. I would love to see that :D. "And the world record for drug assisted long jump is set at 55 meters!"

Soldato
Are we talking track and field or just sports. Drug use was rampant in the 70's/80/s & 90's. Mary Decker Slaney(suspected), Linford, Katrin Krabbe, Ben Johnson, Dwain Chambers, Florence Joyner, Marion Jones. Many more.

Soldato
Do not think it is only Russia and China. Athletes winning is about prestige for their country. America uses other methods to help it's athletes win. I have no doubt that drugs will also be part of that regime.

Soldato
I imagine there's going to be a few things being used they haven't or cant pick up with their current set of tests.

Personally I think they should allow whatever they want to dose with in a separate Olympics. I would love to see that :D. "And the world record for drug assisted long jump is set at 55 meters!"

Thing is, some of our records may already be fully drug assisted.
Womens running has a few chinese records or certainly had a few records, where the athletes admitted in letters to press they had cheated, some even stated they started throwing away their pills as they knew what was happening, but on occasions the coach would inject atheletes himself to ensure they were dosed.

I ponder who is a cheat and who is not, given the whole epo tour of france previous revelations. One biker told, yes we would love you on the squad, but you dont inject, so you would be a threat to the whole team by nature of the fact you would not be a collective cheat.

I would be amazed if it isn't commonplace still at many levels.

Man of Honour
I suspect it is pretty widespread :( sadly these days all too many people see no problem with cheating unless they get caught.

Soldato
Many athletes, including British ones, use drugs to gain an edge. There is almost an unwritten rule in many sports where it is allowed as long as it does not flag up on the tests.

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Soldato
I believe all top level athletes are on drugs, how else can they compete with each other drug users? The art is timing things just right to pass the tests. May aswell just make using them legal in sport and be done with it.

Soldato
There would genuinely be quite a advantage to making competitive sport with performance enhancing drugs. Imagine how pharmaceutical industry would develop with the average joe on the street interested on the next thing that comes out and the sort of money football takes in driving the development of the next superman drug.

Soldato
There would genuinely be quite a advantage to making competitive sport with performance enhancing drugs. Imagine how pharmaceutical industry would develop with the average joe on the street interested on the next thing that comes out and the sort of money football takes in driving the development of the next superman drug.

Could you imagine the aftermath on the NHS once they work out their previously safe drugs caused some kind of super virusbacteriazombieplague(It;s coming prepare!) in the future.

Associate
They should hold the Olympics, Special Olympics and then Performance Enhanced Olympics. Everyone gets their fair chance then regardless.

People would still cheat in the 'Olympics'

They aren't about being the best, they are about winning which unfortunately are two different things.

In truth it would make it worse...these drugs would be developed endlessly making it difficult for the regular olympics to keep up with screening.

Soldato
Make it professional and give medical incentives for declaring the drugs in the pillhead olympics and it becomes easier to screen for the lame non pillhead Olympics because the drug companies would take away the advantage users of new drugs have over others

Caporegime
I think a lot of shall we say, more primitive countries, use state sponsored doping as a means to boost national esteem. Russia are the only ones to be caught red handed so they will rightly be embarrassed by that. Western nations I don't think have state sponsored doping problems but for sure aren't clean. It's not only athletics that has this problem either. There was a private medical clinic in Spain that got caught doping, but the Spanish court ordered all the evidence destroyed as it was classed as medical-in-confidence. This clinic had clients all over the world though, and you can't help but speculate who used their services.

Back
Top Bottom