Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
that fiscal plan has been chucked in the bin. The new chancellor is going to reset it in the autumn statement. Then we need a General Election because this government was not voted in on ditching the current plan for something else in autumn...........

Agree as I said above, just because the previous chancellor said something doesn't mean it would/will have happened.

I don't see any tax harmonisation coming easily to europe, and one of the key nations that was pushing it... UK

NL, Lux, IRE, none of them are going to be keen to give up significant income and employment generated by the schemes they offer

I am not keen for a general election though. I think we stand on a precipice of lunacy in this country right now where a party like UKIP could genuinely get in to power based on the splits in the two main parties, and the frothing at the mouth Brexit now even though we have no plan brigade.
5 years ago I would never had said this, but now I would vote Libdem.
I am naturally tory, but at the moment they scare me.

Soldato
Citation for the claim 'nearly all the money going through Ireland wasn't generated there'?

It's been 'on the agenda' for decades. Has it happened? No.

It is at least 80% from foreign sources.

Agree as I said above, just because the previous chancellor said something doesn't mean it would/will have happened.

I don't see any tax harmonisation coming easily to europe, and one of the key nations that was pushing it... UK

NL, Lux, IRE, none of them are going to be keen to give up significant income and employment generated by the schemes they offer

I am not keen for a general election though. I think we stand on a precipice of lunacy in this country right now where a party like UKIP could genuinely get in to power based on the splits in the two main parties, and the frothing at the mouth Brexit now even though we have no plan brigade.
5 years ago I would never had said this, but now I would vote Libdem.
I am naturally tory, but at the moment they scare me.

Actually UK was one of the countries pushing against it along with Ireland. Now it is only Ireland. They will be worn down eventually.

Actually UK was one of the countries pushing against it along with Ireland. Now it is only Ireland. They will be worn down eventually.

I think you must live in a different reality to me so I think I will leave it here for now. Everything you say seems to be completely opposite to what I see and read. No offence meant.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Yes I read that, its an accounting anomaly but I guess they are actually paying tax to Ireland.

People dont recognise this is also true of UK. London but also other parts of UK are very important world wide and we get some GDP benefit from operating legal and finance for operations not even UK related. Effectively we're exporting stability and expertise in governance private, legal and political even in exchange for a cut of their business wherever that is.
Im not 100% on why Ireland is attractive just for its low tax because there are all the tax free island nations around the world I guess but it must be because its within the EU and also its location in Europe maybe.
Im fairly sure UK is useful for more reasons then that.

USA is the primary demonstration of this phenomena, that giant debt they have and all their other problems are minor in terms of their place as the worlds most important reserve currency. Again it relies on them being very stable and reliable in their operations. Im pretty certain for a while now USA will lose this status just like a century ago the British empire lost its #1 status in the world with gold sovereigns used as much as US dollars are used now

2 billion in stamp duty is paid every year by non UK citizens, they use UK for selling and pricing of goods and pay a small amount of tax which adds up. EU was more then a little interference in UK operations globally, as they wanted to impose various taxes and laws to discourage open trading.
We had to sue the EU in court for the ability to trade Euro, they fail at capitalism and the IMF report into their own operations regarding Greece shows some of why this is an ongoing problem in EU etc that will snowball imo

http://greece.greekreporter.com/201...izes-the-funds-poor-handling-of-greek-crisis/

Last edited:
Permabanned
BREXIT BOOM continues: Now 27 countries around the world want trade deal with UK

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-27-countries-around-world-want-trade-deal-UK

That's not exactly a boom. A boom would incline that our economy is going up because of the amount of countries trading with us.

However.... The number of countries WANTING to trade with us is high yes.... But how many of those deals will be better than what we had before.

Honestly I'm sick of these papers that don't go into any depth and the complications of actions being taken.

Soldato
BREXIT BOOM continues: Now 27 countries around the world want trade deal with UK

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-27-countries-around-world-want-trade-deal-UK

Don't use the Depress as any source of info, it is so skewed it's 'facts' are worthless. Another claim by them was 80% want to leave EU, published early in the campaign.

It has been covered in this thread already the time it would take to organise one trade deal. That is assuming you have the trained people which we currently do not. Most will only do a deal when they find out what our status is with Europe. Long, long time to go.

Soldato
Trade descriptions should be all over The Express really. Newspaper, its more comic than newspaper and should be on the same shelf as Viz. The only correct thing that it's paper.

Soldato
27 countries is an interesting number since that's the number of other countries in the EU with whom we have a trade deal vastly better to anything we could possibly negotiate with these new 27.

And leave us what... 23 more to go to break even?

Here's a handy map:
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2012/june/tradoc_149622.pdf

Here's a handy fact:
https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-free-trade-deals-has-eu-done/

As for better: volume, market penetration, number of barriers removed, cost, time before activation and breaking even, and, of course, dispute resolution favouring our legal and regulatory framework without regression to the lower standards of protection for workers and business sectors of countries which may not be as developed or free of mass corruption. Amongst many other things... Ad infinitum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom