*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Got the xbox one S as my stop gap until a better player. Preferably one that also plays Dolby Vision which I'm guessing wont be available until next year. I will say though for the price of the xbox one s it is a very good 4K player. I don't have an atmos setup so the lack of bitstream doesn't bother me at the moment and it seems they will do an update for that anyway at some point but picture wise I cannot fault it and slowly building up a nice collection of 4K movies. Some are better than others though.....meaning not a huge difference from there 1080p counterparts but that could also be the fact I'm watching these on a Oled screen which looks already stunning with normal material.

Soldato
A comprehensive&complimentary review on Pany ub900 has some gratuitous tear-down too (can translate with google)

On topic of scaling : using the Pany scaler, would also need to disable overscan on receiving tv too so it does zero additional scaling - does everyone do that ?

(with ub900 I would like to know how/if you can control multi-channel audio mixing down for the two channel analog audio output, if you wanted to drive a 2 channel hifi)

Soldato
On topic of scaling : using the Pany scaler, would also need to disable overscan on receiving tv too so it does zero additional scaling - does everyone do that ?[/I]

Anyone using overscan in this day and age needs a slap.

It's an out-dated obsolete feature for a bygone age.

Soldato
I thought overscan showed the full picture?

Nope the opposite. Overscan "zooms" the picture slightly, cropping out the edges. It's a hold-over from the original CRT days when sets, by their nature, cropped off the edges of the picture. Broadcasters would often use the first or last few scan lines to encode information in the assumption it would never be seen.

When flat screens arrived that were capable of showing the entire picture this could cause issues with "rubbish" visible at the extremes. Nowadays though it's not a problem and all sets should be set to full 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan so that no scaling takes place.

Soldato
Oh I'm getting confused, my Samsung is set to just scan.

Whatever mode gives you 1:1 mapping with no zooming. If you flick between overscan and 1:1 modes (or whatever Samsung calls them) you'll see one is "zoomed in" a bit and crops out the edges - you want the mode that doesn't.

EDIT: I think Samsung calls the 1:1 mode "Screen Fit".

Soldato
Just a wee update re my Xbox One S and the 4K Blu-ray player. The xbox recognised my Panasonic DX700 as a 4K HDR 10bit (only 8bit ) tv and after a large update I sat down to watch 'The Revenant' 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray. It was glorious, easily the best 4K HDR content I have seen and the xbox was faultless in playing it.

Soldato
can't believe you missed kingsman out your above list either

Eww. Yes, thats an especially poor bunch of films.

Just a wee update re my Xbox One S and the 4K Blu-ray player. The xbox recognised my Panasonic DX700 as a 4K HDR 10bit (only 8bit ) tv and after a large update I sat down to watch 'The Revenant' 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray. It was glorious, easily the best 4K HDR content I have seen and the xbox was faultless in playing it.

This is encouraging :)

Soldato
interesting article on US UHD-BLU sales , so alive and kicking - don't think it was already ref'd
Launching only in March, 228,000 Ultra HD Blu-ray discs have already been sold as of June 24. This compares extremely well to when Blu-ray was first launched, when only 57,000 discs were sold in roughly the same time period

- if they are sensible may make folks wait for the newer 700 - not on amazon.de yet.
Panasonic have got to make money somewhere if they are over a barrel buying LG oleds - no ?

Back
Top Bottom