• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX480 vs GTX1060

Man of Honour
yea did the same regards ref 480 but not too bothered as it was for the kids computer,nvidia were fined for the miss selling of the 970 vram,amd should have been fined the same when it didn't meet the hype..remember that 980 performance was a massive selling point.

well here we are arguing like kids over 5fps lol

no idea about the 1080 as it was out of my price range so never paid any attention to it,what did they do?

They were more than a little optimistic with the running temps of the 1080 FE.:D

The demo showed the GTX 1080, which relies solely on air cooling, running under load with a maximum temperature of just 67 degrees.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2457304/nvidia-gtx-1080-pascal-based-gpu-is-twice-as-fast-and-cheaper-than-the-titan-x

Man of Honour
^^ Pretty sure they admitted afterwards it was at 100% fan.

I get about the same with the fan @100%.:)

I think some of the people in this thread are getting a little bit serious arguing about the small differences between the RX480 and GTX 1060, they are both good cards and most people would be happy with either.

I have RX480s and GTX 1060s, I like both.:)

Soldato
During the company's livestream event at the Computex 2016 in Taipei, AMD revealed their first Polaris video card. The Radeon RX 480 is claimed to have the performance of today's $500 video cards for just more than half of the price, PCWorld has learned.

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/12799...80-beats-nvidia-gtx-9801060.htm#ixzz4IRtlofs6

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077...ll-bring-high-end-graphics-to-the-masses.html

So yes, they did claim 980 performance.

No they didn't. One of several sites that misquoted what AMD said.

I wonder which $500 cards they meant if not the 980.

Again, they never promised this.

Ah right, I'd forgotten about that.

My bad.

Yea, that was BS.

Oh so you remember this now? well you don't remember, because there was no BS.

The $500 comparison was in relation to VR, just like Nvidia's 2x performance was in relation to VR.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/229443-amd-announces-new-radeon-rx-480-vr-ready-at-a-budget-price

Associate
Associate
I got a 1400Mhz clock on my 480 4GB ;)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14388976?

again read my post again..release day...the stock 480 did not reach 1400 on release day to my knowledge,infact I'm pretty sure there were a lot of youtube videos stating that,even some people who modded the cards struggled...altho I'm not sure where the 1400mhz came from whether it was amd themselves or just hype by enthusiasts

yes I'm aware some aib cards reach 1400 which is great but not what I stated.

Soldato
again read my post again..release day...the stock 480 did not reach 1400 on release day to my knowledge,infact I'm pretty sure there were a lot of youtube videos stating that,even some people who modded the cards struggled...altho I'm not sure where the 1400mhz came from whether it was amd themselves or just hype by enthusiasts

yes I'm aware some aib cards reach 1400 which is great but not what I stated.

It's not only the aib cards that reach this. The best clocks i have seen so far are on reference boards although using water cooling with an unlocked bios. Highest i have seen on water is 1520mhz at 1.35v.

Associate
It's not only the aib cards that reach this. The best clocks i have seen so far are on reference boards although using water cooling with an unlocked bios. Highest i have seen on water is 1520mhz at 1.35v.

How stable was that because that's a huge overclock.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070/page-6

Shows max stable overclock (with reference cooler) of 1350mhz. Maybe you literally won the silicone lottery.

Soldato
Pretty funny how the 480 is meant to be a hot card etc..

Heres my Nitro+ 4GB temps.

1366/1850 clocks..

Idle = 28c (14% fan speed)
Load = around 55c (up to 55% fan speed) in Arma 3 & DayZ (with very high settings)

All 3DMark benches and Heaven with the core @ 1400Mhz = 66c max

The problem why reviewers had high idle/load temps is cuz they were using the 0db crap and auto fan speeds, getting 50c+ idle temps and up to 80c load temps.

With my 14% fan speed i cant even hear the fans unless i put my ear to the case.. and that 28c is with the warmer temps were having, at around 55% fan speed it really isnt that loud either and its only gona run cooler when winter comes along.

Just use the new TriXX SW with a Custom fan profile and the card has great temps.

PS.. my 480 uses around 150w-160w according to GPU-Z if i remember.. which i really dont give a damn about anyway.

My 7950 @1166/1625 was idling at 30-38c through a 1 year cylce and load temps were topping just over 70c with the fans being pretty audible..

So im happy with my 480 until Vega hits the shelves.

Makes me laugh how that one guy talked about the 1060 being 40% quicker than a 480, "just look in the Heaven thread" he said. I only see one 1060 in there and thats his.. lol.

/rant over :p

Associate
Pretty funny how the 480 is meant to be a hot card etc..

Heres my Nitro+ 4GB temps.

1366/1850 clocks..

Idle = 28c (14% fan speed)
Load = around 55c (up to 55% fan speed) in Arma 3 & DayZ (with very high settings)

All 3DMark benches and Heaven with the core @ 1400Mhz = 66c max

The problem why reviewers had high idle/load temps is cuz they were using the 0db crap and auto fan speeds, getting 50c+ idle temps and up to 80c load temps.

With my 14% fan speed i cant even hear the fans unless i put my ear to the case.. and that 28c is with the warmer temps were having, at around 55% fan speed it really isnt that loud either and its only gona run cooler when winter comes along.

Just use the new TriXX SW with a Custom fan profile and the card has great temps.

PS.. my 480 uses around 150w-160w according to GPU-Z if i remember.. which i really dont give a damn about anyway.

My 7950 @1166/1625 was idling at 30-38c through a 1 year cylce and load temps were topping just over 70c with the fans being pretty audible..

So im happy with my 480 until Vega hits the shelves.

Makes me laugh how that one guy talked about the 1060 being 40% quicker than a 480, "just look in the Heaven thread" he said. I only see one 1060 in there and thats his.. lol.

/rant over :p

That's a fair point I guess. Some of the YouTube reviews I've seen put the Nitro running nearer to 80c than 70c when under load. They didn't mention the fan profile settings. Some however, (TTL) do mention the fans getting very noticeable whilst the card still runs hot.

Reviews such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-EEkcbFVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX934BRgKxg

In all likelihood, I probably would have gotten a Nitro 480 if they were out alongside reference models, or near to. Basically having to wait all summer to get either card was tiresome for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where is your source for the misquote?

No misquote, I watched the Live stream on the 1st of June. That was said purely in relation to VR performance.

When it comes to the matter of performance,*AMD isn't quite ready to give up exact numbers. Instead the company says the*RX 480's "VR capability" compares to that of £400/$500 GPUs. Indeed, VR is a key part of AMD's pitch for the card, with the company hoping to "jumpstart the growth of the addressable market for PC VR" and "accelerate the rate at which VR headsets drop in price" across both desktops and laptops.

Like Nvidia, AMD is heavily talking up Polaris’ performance improvements in VR, though the company hasn’t unveiled details on this topic yet. AMD claims that its new $200 GPU can match the performance of $500 GPUs from the previous generations in VR

It was purely VR. this was discussed to death afterwards. Just like the Nvidia 2x performance was discussed. Only idiots presumed that the 2x was anything other than VR performance.

Nope, I went over the previous marketing materials and the $500 comment was not made in relation to only VR.

I know you're an AMD white knight, but you're sadly only going to be able to swing at ghosts here.

You went over the marketing materials? good boy, well done. Did you happen to watch the AMD stream on the 1st of June where this came from? While you were reading the marketing materials, did you see how focused they were on VR?

And I stopped reading your crap after you wrote "you're an AMD white knight" What a bs comment to bring to a discussion. Maybe you better practice what you preach and discuss the subject rather than the person. Or to use your line. Right then and there I knew what would follow would be total drek

Last edited:
Associate
No misquote, I watched the Live stream on the 1st of June. That was said purely in relation to VR performance.

It was purely VR. this was discussed to death afterwards. Just like the Nvidia 2x performance was discussed. Only idiots presumed that the 2x was anything other than VR performance.

You went over the marketing materials? good boy, well done. Did you happen to watch the AMD stream on the 1st of June where this came from? While you were reading the marketing materials, did you see how focused they were on VR?

And I stopped reading your crap after you wrote "you're an AMD white knight" What a bs comment to bring to a discussion. Maybe you better practice what you preach and discuss the subject rather than the person. Or to use your line. Right then and there I knew what would follow would be total drek

You didn't really provide a source. Where is the source that you got your paragraphs from?

Caporegime
Come on Melmac, anytime anybody puts a slight question mark over anything AMD, you come along in massive defence mode and jump on those who don't really care for either brand. Be fair man.

Soldato
Come on Melmac, anytime anybody puts a slight question mark over anything AMD, you come along in massive defence mode and jump on those who don't really care for either brand. Be fair man.

It works both ways, the people ****** off 480 are from the green team, you shown plenty of times you favour Nvidia you only have to look at the court case thread to see what side you on.

At least I am on Amd side and don't hide it.

Soldato
I don't really care about favouritism, what get up my nose is all this I don't favour one over the other and then post certain posts blatantly favouring one other the other.

Associate
stating facts or flaws about team red or team green is not favouritism...its facts.

if you don't like opinions don't enter a thread where someone is asking for opinions.

Caporegime
It works both ways, the people ****** off 480 are from the green team, you shown plenty of times you favour Nvidia you only have to look at the court case thread to see what side you on.

At least I am on Amd side and don't hide it.

Nobody is having a go at the 480 but pointing out that the vid showed stutters. You are so wrapped up with AMD Vs NVidia that you just see that with my posting. Show me how I defended NVidia in that court case thread. Not once did I make them right but again, you are seeing me not throwing my toys at NVidia as defence. Shameful!

Edit:

Not really worth following up with, as you admit to your bias.

Back
Top Bottom