Screen/Monitor QC - Why can't anyone get it right!!?

Associate
If you look around you see official Dell dealers offering B grade monitors so this tells me three things. Dell Ultrasharp monitors are mostly fault free and built to a decent standard and or QC is catching substandard unit and screens are getting returned under warranty for repair and then sold as B grade.
Dell B grade is one that failed perfect pixel warranty.
E.g. light bleed does not fall under that and if you try to currently claim Dell warranty on basis of light bleed, they will just say that its not a fault and within tolerances. This wasn't the case several years ago, but fairly recently Dell have changed their policies (without advertisement of course). Easy to know that - try to ask shop you buying your Dell in advance if they can promise you get one without light bleed and they will tell you they could not guarantee that.

P.S. there is also less known fact that present day Dell Premium Panel warranty only covers *bright* pixels. It does not cover *black* pixels which some people found hard way and easy to find amazon reviews just for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no clue if Dell are as good as they use to be. Maybe I'll find soon enough as I desperately need to upgrade some monitors but can't have garbage on display.

Soldato
Eventually "panels" will give way to something else, like holographic projectors (as seen in Deus Ex, Mass Effect etc). Hopefully they will not have the foibles of LCD panel manufacturing and we will put this unhappy saga behind us.

Soldato
TBH lots of screens are really good and the quality of high street TV's is very good. The problem is laziness and greed. PC enthusiasts seem like easy targets today.

Look at the Wasabi Mango screens and other direct from Korea brands. Major on third manufacturer putting the big gaming brands to shame on price, service and quality. And with the disadvantage of selling though independents with zero big channel access.

Caporegime
OP
Man I am totally torn. I have a choice between returning it for a refund to the place I bought it from, or sending it to Acer for repair which could take over a week (needs to get there, thenup to 5 working days for repair and then come back..). Cant send it in the original box either as they get rid of that..

I feel like there is too much to wrong, damage in transit, get one with dead pixels/ bad backlight that I cant return etc

But where else am I going to get a 27 inch 144hz ips freesync monitor for £290... :(

Groan.

What do OCUK?

probably safer to get a refund and wait for deals during black Friday etc I reckon :/

Last edited:
Associate
Do not ask for it to be repaired unless you have no other options. Return it and ask for a full refund, then buy somewhere else. You'll have to wait for the refund to be issued though, it may take a while (1-2 weeks?) depends on the retailer.

Caporegime
OP
Do not ask for it to be repaired unless you have no other options. Return it and ask for a full refund, then buy somewhere else. You'll have to wait for the refund to be issued though, it may take a while (1-2 weeks?) depends on the retailer.

Yes I don't mind about the refund time. It is within 30 days (the retailers policy) so I can get a full refund.

It is just a shame as it was £100 cheaper than anywhere else due to a misprice!

Caporegime
OP
I take it they wouldn't be willing to do an exchange?

Nope, even from my brief exchanges with Acer over these last few days, I know which manufacturer to stay well, well clear from...

I can't believe people are shelling out £500-£600 on their top models with such a shoddy warranty policy in place.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, even from my brief exchanges with Acer over these last few days, I know which manufacturer to stay well, well clear from...

I can't believe people are shelling out £500-£600 on their top models with such a shoddy warranty policy in place.
I wouldn't touch them by ten foot pole normally, but not much choice - they still offered most features for me, so had to go through 3 monitors to be at least mostly (not fully) satisfied and feel like I've "upgraded" ;)

Caporegime
OP
I wouldn't touch them by ten foot pole normally, but not much choice - they still offered most features for me, so had to go through 3 monitors to be at least mostly (not fully) satisfied and feel like I've "upgraded" ;)

Sorry I wasn't having a go. I should have worded it "I can't believe people are having to shell out £500-£600 on their top models with such a shoddy warranty policy in place. "

Acer really need to have a DOA policy in place.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I had to pay £730 for XB321HK, and this was before recent price rise. Still, it was the only 4K 32" with G-sync - so no real competition. I would have gladly paid less if alternative existed...

Soldato
Quality control on monitors has been done, it's by a company called AG Neovo who make professional monitors for very high activity environments such as hospitals and security.

The monitors are also on NASA approved list, and a few years ago watching the last space shuttle fight I recognized my own monitors at the back of the control center!

I use 3 of the glass fronted screens on a triple monitor stand, they are very heavy due to glass, however the glass cuts down eye strain (i'm a software developer), I find the picture quality similar to the old Sony Diamondtron screens.

This is AgNeovo site
http://uk.agneovo.com/

And this is the NASA approved contract product search where you can find the company.
https://www.sewp.nasa.gov/sewp5chop/publicprodlookup/index.html

Soldato
interesting... i wonder who makes their panels..

Don't know but i'll tell you something interesting.

A couple of years ago I went to an OCUK open/event day at their warehouse / store, was a very good day btw.

In the store there is many monitors connected and on display, some of these have have very high refreshes and resolutions. I wanted to see something I would be blown away by. I didn't see anything I particularly liked and I actually came away a little disappointed there was nothing worth upgrading to.

Anyway I put the above down to the fact my Ag Neovo's have this glass front on them, the monitors OCUK had on display that day not one had a glass front coating. As mentioned the glass front on the AG Neovo's it's like the old Sony Dimondtrons of the 1990's, and obviously it's something I prefer enough to not want to upgrade monitors, even however the newer monitors have better specs at least on paper.

Associate
Look at the Wasabi Mango screens and other direct from Korea brands. Major on third manufacturer putting the big gaming brands to shame on price, service and quality.
Does not look different to me, same stuff with bleed, DSE, dead pixels, etc.
Only difference that if something goes wrong, you are royally screwed because oversea sale. Its also funny how they are offering "zero dead pixel warranty", then people getting screen with dead pixels and they just offer "partial refund" knowing that many people will have to accept due to massive time waste & cost of return oversea shipping.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does not look different to me, same stuff with bleed, DSE, dead pixels, etc.
Only difference that if something goes wrong, you are royally screwed because oversea sale. Its also funny how they are offering "zero dead pixel warranty", then people getting screen with dead pixels and they just offer "partial refund" knowing that many people will have to accept due to massive time waste & cost of return oversea shipping.

Exactly. Major on third monitor putting others to shame.

Associate
Don't know but i'll tell you something interesting.

A couple of years ago I went to an OCUK open/event day at their warehouse / store, was a very good day btw.

In the store there is many monitors connected and on display, some of these have have very high refreshes and resolutions. I wanted to see something I would be blown away by. I didn't see anything I particularly liked and I actually came away a little disappointed there was nothing worth upgrading to.

Anyway I put the above down to the fact my Ag Neovo's have this glass front on them, the monitors OCUK had on display that day not one had a glass front coating. As mentioned the glass front on the AG Neovo's it's like the old Sony Dimondtrons of the 1990's, and obviously it's something I prefer enough to not want to upgrade monitors, even however the newer monitors have better specs at least on paper.

How much is an Ag Neovo? I couldn't find prices on their website.

Back
Top Bottom