High(ish) end PC audio

Associate
Hi,

I'm feeling the need for some new speakers. I'm currently using some old Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers but feel like I wan't a bit more quality in my life, plus I'd like to ditch the 3 extra speakers which are an inconvenience.

I've got two options, dedicated PC speakers, or wire in something like a good quality wireless speaker with a 3.5mm or optical cable, so I can benifit from Bluetooth streaming and PC use.

My current PC speaker options are the Audioengine A2+ or A5+. They seem to get good reviews, but from what I've read I sit too close to benefit the A5+ but the A2+ doesn't have the same high quality of sound. Are there anything else that could be recommended?

My other option is something like the Naim Muso QB, a single speaker with some attempt of stereo. Either this or the B&W Zeppelin if I can work out a way to make it fit my desk along with a 32" monitor :D This may not work so well for gaming but certainly would be nice for good music.

Opinions for those who have done similar?

Budget is up to £500, but ideally less if it's for the PC speaker side.

Soldato
Ruark MR1 or Kef Egg Wireless if you fancy something that looks a bit different :)

Nocs NS2 V2 another option that isn't as popular as the others.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow, I really like those MR1's in walnut, they'd look superb on my desk. Plus bluetooth is a bonus if I don't want to fire up my computer.

Reading reviews says the Kef Egg is better, but I'm not sure I could have them on my desk, it's a bit childish and plasticy for the price. I'm not sure my Spotify listening habits could tell the difference.

And are the MR1's worth £100 more than Audioengine A2+?

Soldato
How much room do you have?

2nd hand B&W 602s3 ~£200-250
Cambridge Audio 640a (or similar 2nd handamp) ~£150
Chromecast Audio £15

----- or -----

Yamaha HS5 or HS8

Associate
OP
Okay, update. I headed to my local Sevenoaks in Cambridge, tried out the Ruark MR1's. There were nice. I had a nagging thing in my mind to try out the "single speaker" Naim Muso QB.

The Ruarks were nice, but then I switched on the Muso, wow! Okay I know it is double the price, but my god it sounds incredible. Every detail in the music is crystal clear and the way it reproduces things like hi-hats, it's on a level I've not heard apart from proper high end hi-fi sound.

So I ended up borrowing the Sevenoaks demo models to try and see if I could get used to my left ear getting the brunt of the audio with the right being treated to fan noise.

I'm trying it for a few days, it's a bit annoying being to one side but I can't get over how good it sounds. If I could find something with this good audio for similar money (ideally less :) ) but with two speakers I'd be a very happy man.

The mission for audio greatness continues.

Associate
OP
Yeah, budget creep. Isn't it wonderful :)

In reality I did mention it in my first post, it was my absolute maximum budget (this was £570 indecently) but I am stretching it a little.

Soldato
The Naim Muso QB makes no financial sense . Its a box and gets its arse handle to it on a plate but its slightly more expensive bigger brother music bar . I had the convo with the guys in my local Audio T . And they agree.

Associate
OP
You mean between the Muso and Muso QB? I'm not sure £300 more is "slightly more" though.

Yet the Muso QB is more impressive than the B&W Zep (which I've had the joy of using plenty as my father owns one) and wipes the floor with the no highs no lows Bose Soundtouch 30.

Associate
OP
So the Muso QB test unit went back. As a piece of audio equipment goes, it was stunning (IMO), if I'm listening to music it was exactly what I'd have kept, but the lack of true stereo was an issue for me. So I tested a few more things and in the end I walked out with a set of Kef Egg's. I'm not a huge fan of their look, but the sound they produce is considerably better than the Ruark MR1's, and they're a good price too.

Overall, I'm mighty happy with my purchase so far. Just need to add a sub at some point and I'll be set.

Back
Top Bottom