NAS setup

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to get a NAS purely for watching films and TV series downstairs in the living room and across my home network.

At the moment everything is stored on my PC which is a bit of a ball ache if someone wants to watch something I'm gaming. I have been getting around it by just putting the files on a USB stick but I want a more convenient solution.

The Synology DiskStation DS216j Clicky has caught my attention.

My question is can I run it with 1 hard drive for the time being. Then when I start using it (if ever) to store/backup things that are more personal to me and buy a second hard drive to run in RAID 1? And will the existing drive have to be formatted to set up RAID 1?

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
You won't need to format the existing drive, when I added one to the configuration it went in fine.

thanks

When you say NAS, do you also want it to be the media player hooked up to the TV?

Yes, in the spec it says it can do this.

As a DLNA Certified® DMS (Digital Media Server), DS216j can serve as your primary media server, with the capability to host digital multimedia content for local or remote playback.

Don
Set up the Volume type as 'SHR' - Synology Hybrid RAID.

When you add the second disk, it will merge your existing disk with the new one, with no data loss (as long as you don't have a power cut!).

The process takes a while..

Associate
I have a DS216j and it does a decent job of running Plex server for 1080p content. It is not capable of transcoding video though so you will have to view at native res and subtitles are a no-go unless you burn them in. Just don't rely on RAID1 as back up and remember it is redundancy only. If content on drive 1 is corrupted/deleted then this will be mirrored onto the 2nd disk...

Last edited:
Associate
Good point, you could transcode at the client end with something like a Shield. FireTV stick etc don't have the grunt though.

Soldato
Not the best quality video but it shows five different videos playing from the same Pi OpenMediaVault setup Blu-ray rips play fine on the PC but my 4th gen iPad is a bit choppy if the bit-rate is to high but DVD's are fine

Back
Top Bottom