• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Probably the right place to ask so having unexpectedly bought a new 4K TV last weekend, are we there yet with decent FPS @ 4K from the 1080?

Or do I need to wait for Volta or Vega before jumping up from my RX480?

Currently 1080P looks good on it but obviously I don't expect the 480 to be able to do much at 4K at all.

Permabanned
2x 1080 does a good job in most things at 4k... although to be fair... 1x 1080 does a good job in 80-90% of games @ 4k

Titan XP is the only thing close to a "true" 4k card... but even that struggles for a solid 60fps in some games... however much of a minority they might be.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Thanks but it sounds like we're not quite there yet with a single card for decent 4K then.

The Titan XP is ludicrously expensive and even 2 X 1080's is >£1K.

Looks like I'll sit it out for another 6 months or so and be content with 1080P.

Associate
Ive been advised of the following when asking about a RMA:

"this would be something called coil whine, im afraid this wouldn't be considered a fault by the manufacturers or ourselves."

:(

Yes but doesn't distance selling regulations cover this, just get a refund?

Permabanned
Thanks but it sounds like we're not quite there yet with a single card for decent 4K then.

The Titan XP is ludicrously expensive and even 2 X 1080's is >£1K.

Looks like I'll sit it out for another 6 months or so and be content with 1080P.

Next GPU release should be OK for current games at 4k... but by then there will be new games out that that gpu won't perform properly at 4k.

For a card that runs absolutely everything including new offerings at full settings at 4... we are still 2-3 generations away... and even then, with the extra GPU horsepower - there will be new games coming out that it won't be able to successfully render at 4k.

And then 8k when that turns into the new target. The progression from 4k -> 8k looks to be quicker than the move from 1080p -> 4k... but I can't say for certain.

The question is how long do you want to wait and how much do you want to pay... there will always be a new GPU 9-12 months away and new games to push its limits...

Of all the cards to-date... I would be happy with a single Titan XP at 4k on its own. The only reason I have two of them at the moment is because I was building a "no limits" system that I want to last a few years. The last-gen Titan X... I wouldn't have been happy with for 4k... this Pascal variant though, is a decent option for 4k.

Even the 1080 is good for 4k... really good... only I had the ability to go for a top-tier system, so went for it.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yeah, I don't fancy playing the waiting forever for the next big thing game, but sadly my budget excludes anything north of £500 for now.

Sounds like you've got a nice rig and if I had the cash I don't doubt I'd have done the same. :)

This whole generation has been more expensive than I expected. Originally eyed up a 1070 but when they came out even they were too expensive for my taste, hence why I ended up with a 480 for 1080P instead.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't fancy playing the waiting forever for the next big thing game, but sadly my budget excludes anything north of £500 for now.

Sounds like you've got a nice rig and if I had the cash I don't doubt I'd have done the same. :)

This whole generation has been more expensive than I expected. Originally eyed up a 1070 but when they came out even they were too expensive for my taste, hence why I ended up with a 480 for 1080P instead.

Have you considered 3440x1440 super wide screens. I could never go back to anything other than super wide monitors now. Games look great in them and not as demanding as 4k.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Have you considered 3440x1440 super wide screens. I could never go back to anything other than super wide monitors now. Games look great in them and not as demanding as 4k.

No, only game on my TV so it's not an option. To be fair, 1080P upscaled on this new TV doesn't look too shabby anyway but you know how it is. Get a 4K screen, would be nice to game at that res but I can wait.

Soldato
meaker: thanks for sharing matey. I will post up some Alienware 17 1080 action when mine arrives. Should be a big, big, jump over the 980M.

Associate
Am currently running two evga 980 hydrocoppers in SLI. Interested to go to 1080 gtx SLI also under water. Bearing in mind the range of opinions I've read on 1080 SLI, from 'it's a nice step up' to 'it doesn't perform well, lots of micro stutters and lack of developer support', and 'it's not a sufficient enough generation gap between cards'- therefore am not sure if it's a suitable upgrade. Don't know anything about the much rumoured 1080ti. can anyone share any experiences on 1080 in SLI? edit: didn't see the announcement on evga ftw blocks on previous page...Also, I can't get a straight answer out of anyone on evga releasing a 1080 Hydrocopper.... I've read they are releasing one, but also that they're not because they had a falling out with EK.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive got two Asus Strix Advanced Gaming Gtx 1080's. Both run incredibly well. On water they boost to 1975Mhz stock and OC'd im getting 2139Mhz consistent and stable @45 degrees on both cards. But (and its a big but) The coil whine is horrific, its so loud I can hear it in the next room. I contacted Asus and was told the warranty is void once the stock cooler is removed. For that reason the RMA was rejected. Also I was told that coil whine isn't classed as a fault because it doesn't affect performance in any way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4ui3sWJFM

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ive got two Asus Strix Advanced Gaming Gtx 1080's. Both run incredibly well. On water they boost to 1975Mhz stock and OC'd im getting 2139Mhz consistent and stable @45 degrees on both cards. But (and its a big but) The coil whine is horrific, its so loud I can hear it in the next room. I contacted Asus and was told the warranty is void once the stock cooler is removed. For that reason the RMA was rejected. Also I was told that coil whine isn't classed as a fault because it doesn't affect performance in any way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4ui3sWJFM

I have the same problem with the Asus card, I've got another arriving today. If that does I'll return that one and go with another brand or Titan X.

I also posted a video as well a page or so back.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My seconds ASUS Strix 1080 has arrived and that's got and annoying coil whine, its not as loud this time but it still highly annoying. So this one is going back as well as I am getting some what annoyed.

What 1080's are less likely to have coil whine?

Associate
I had 2 1080'a before I found one without coil whine. Gigabyte G1 Gaming was the worst cheaply made cooler and horrific coil whine. Then I had a EVGA 1080 FTW nice card but again whined like a banshee. Finally I went for an EVGA 1080 Classifed, due to the extra power phases, my theory that the more phases the less load on each and less likelyhood of coil whine and the fact the card is built like a tank.

I was right, or atleast lucky this time no coil whine !

Good luck it seems to be a lottery with the 1080's never known a card so prone, that is alteast in my experience..

Back
Top Bottom