• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780ti still cut the mustard?

Soldato
They still have enough raw grunt for 1080p, but the 3GB VRAM is going to be the limiting factor in a lot of newer titles. As long as you don't mind turning down textures a notch or two, it can still hold its own against the current mid-range in most games.

Soldato
It depends on how cheap as there are better options for cheapness in the form of a 290x and even a 290 is probably better these days. I managed to get my mate a 290 vapor-x which was one of the better coolers for much cheapness in comparison to what others were wanting. Had to search a little but got there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It used to be much better, before nvidia gimped it.

They are still quite a bit better than reflected in many benchmarks (I can only assume many sites are using Boost 1.0 methodology for all Kepler cards) that said VRAM can hold them back and there are 1-2 games they do fall down.

Soldato
They are still quite a bit better than reflected in many benchmarks (I can only assume many sites are using Boost 1.0 methodology for all Kepler cards) that said VRAM can hold them back and there are 1-2 games they do fall down.

It's mainly the new games where they fall down. I don't think it's anything to do with boost and even Vram in a lot of cases. The architecture just doesn't seem to hold up well. In older games they are still really fast in most reviews so it's not really a boost problem. At £90 though it's a good card even with these drawbacks.

Associate
I used my mates 780ti for a week while my 970 was away for replacement.
when the 970 came back if he had offered me a swap I would have took it. I thought it was a better card and still do. a bit nosier than my 970 but better performance I thought.

Man of Honour
It's mainly the new games where they fall down. I don't think it's anything to do with boost and even Vram in a lot of cases. The architecture just doesn't seem to hold up well. In older games they are still really fast in most reviews so it's not really a boost problem. At £90 though it's a good card even with these drawbacks.

Running a 1440p screen if I'd been seeing the performance with my 780 that many sites indicated I'd have upgraded a long time before I did. Aside from The Witcher 3 and The Division which coincidentally are probably the games that Kepler falls down the most I've played most newer games on it with settings pushed up without problem (the only time this was a problem really was when I ran out of VRAM).

I know someone IRL with an OC model 290X and I've simply never seen situations where in comparison my card was performing more like a 7970 that some sites show - for a long time (until more recent drivers) I was usually able to outperform it though newer drivers let it close the gap.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goodness me 3GB ram was only good enough for 720p a few days ago ;)

Of course those that have used a card with 3GB will know 1440p ultra @ 60fps certainly isn't out of the question. I would snap it up at that price. 780ti's will overclock very well. I used to get 15-20% more out of mine so that's always worth bearing in mind when looking at benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom