• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1440p Ultrawide experiences

Soldato
Hey guys

im very tempted to get a 21:9 monitor again (1440p ultrawide)
currently have a 1440p 144hz swift & 4K Swift. currently using a GTX1080

Just wondered for the people with the 1440p ultawide what sort of real user experiences your getting?

looking for some feedback on
FPS
Smoothness
Regrets?
anything you miss from 16:9

Associate
Personally, what drove me mad, and back to 16:9, was the lack of support in many games for 21:9.

It's incredible when it works, and people will say "but in 16:9 with black bars on the sides it's the same as using a 16:9 monitor" but it just drove me mad knowing all that screen space was going unused!

When it works though, especially in FPS games, it's a thing of beauty.

Caporegime
Ive got a 1080 and X34

Getting 100FPS most of the time.

Shadow warrior 2 and BF1 look amazing

Very Smooth

No regrets

Could never go back to 16:9

In fact I had 2 16:9 dell U27 in my studio ...sold them both and bough a Dell U3415 superwide in MM

I love 21:9 for games and productivity.

Soldato
I'm using a 21:9 curved 2560x1080 monitor atm (the AOC VA panel). I wouldn't go back, even to 1440 16:9. The panoramic view more than outweighs a higher res for gaming.

Some older games have issues with 21:9 but programs like flawless widescreen fix most of the popular ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will never go back, ever.

Gaming support is getting better all the time and most newer titles have very good support. The big three current releases, Titanfall2, BF2 and COD all work superbly.

The immersion is on a different level. It fills so much more of your peripheral vision that 16:9 just feels cramped and "cropped" by comparison.

I've not had any performance issues with my 1080, even though I'm running an old i2600. That said my screen is only 60Hz but that's more than enough for me and all of the above titles have enough performance at native res that I just leave vsync on and it's locked to 60fps.

The X34A is obviously the best out there. I've got a Dell 3415W but then I nabbed it for only £300 :)

Soldato
Hey guys

Just wondered for the people with the 1440p ultawide what sort of real user experiences your getting?

FPS
Smoothness
Regrets?

What made you give up your ultra wide last time you had one?

Caporegime
This one image sums up 21.9 in comparison to 16.9 for me, 16.9 is just so squashed in comparison.

From what I know, the only big game that has awful ultrawide support is overwatch. Everything else that doesn't work or is half assed is usually easily fixed with either flawless widescreen or a quick tweak to a config file.

The hardest game to get 21.9 working perfectly is fallout 4 and when I say the hardest, I mean that you have to go through 4 or so config files changing about 3-4 lines iirc. May have changed though, as this is what I had to do at launch...

As mentioned above support out of the box is only getting better as well now, not surprising though, given that the up take is far higher than 4k monitors now :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on a 980ti and Dell 3415 and couldn't go back to 16:9.

Any new 34" 1440p 21:9s due on the horizon worth looking out for in the nearish future - seems to have been mainly the same panels for a while now. I looked at the Samsung originaly but it always seemed a little blurred to me outside of games. IPS seems to be the best for me

Soldato
Hey guys

FPS
Smoothness
Regrets?

My last 1440p UW experience was on my Dell u3415w before i sold it off. Played GTA 5 on a gtx 980 ti and had a blast being able to run it at 60fps 95% of the time with a few slightly reduced settings. Overall very enjoyable. My regrets was getting the dell u3415w. Monitor was beautiful, but pixel response was dreadful and the glorious urin colour ips glow was plaguing my sample to the point that it was visible even during the day if the scenes were dark enough.

The only thing i missed from 16:9 was the faster response times of TN but TN most likely would never work in the ultrawide format.

Soldato
21.9 user here too, won't go back either. Don't own another monitor currently so forgotten what it's like on 16.9 but I imagine it won't be pretty.

What sorta confirmed 'the deal' for me was the girlfriend commenting how great Witcher 3 looks when playing it on the 21.9 . When she never said a word when I played it on my old 27'. Even the untrained eye can see that this thing is much better.

Fallout 4 is annoying and made me LOL when I realised it's not 21.9 supported. Also had issue with Mafia 3 and 3440 resolution but the rest of the new games works great.

Soldato
Single 1080 and 3440 x 1440 is a nice combo. Do not expect to max out everything and just notch down the killer settings in some titles like Witcher 3, Dues Ex and what not and you can maintain a smooth 60 without too many compromises.

Personally, could never go back to 16:9, been using 3440 x 1440 as soon as it came out pretty much so 2 years + and anything else just feel abnormal and restricted. I would say however that as painful as it is, 3440 x 1440, G-Sync + 100hz panels are worth the premium. So your PG348Q and X34A moniters.

I started with the LG34UC97-S which is broadly similar to your dell you had and picked up the ASUS PG348Q back in Feb and the premium is worth it. G-Sync does a pretty amazing job of getting rid of tear and 100hz in less demanding titles is achievable and feels great. When comparing the two side by side for a few weeks difference was noticeable personally.

Now I just want 4k in 21:9 :D

I will say, IPS glow and Bleed is not eliminated on these panels however, just some seemingly have it quiet severely or a unacceptable amount, so worse case may need to play the lottery.

Man of Honour
Opposite to many here - don't personally see 21:9 as the way forward though I did find it more useful than 4K 16:9 for gaming - I have a 21:9 panel (for some stuff its pretty awesome) alongside my gaming 2560x1440 144Hz but if I had to pick one it would be the the 2560x1440 panel every time.

Associate
I was thoroughly unimpressed with my 34UC88 coming from a 23" 1080P.

The effect was kind of similar to sitting in front of my 50" TV, which is kind of cool I suppose but nothing ground breaking. I found for everything other than gaming it was an uncomfortable experience. Whilst browsing the web you have the choice of loads of wasted space or having two browser windows side by side which I didn't like. Most videos end up with borders on the side. Back light bleed in the corners and I didn't like the curve. Not to mention the dead pixel and the brightness flicker when Freesync was switched on.

I ended up sending it back and bought an Oculus Rift instead. I have not regretted that decision for one second.

Soldato
21.9 is probably the ultimate format for games and movies. Big enough physical size 34" no less and your golden. I've never understood people who obsess about black bars on their screens. Either watch as intended or don't. Any game that doesn't support 21.9 new is poor and I'd never go back to 16.9 after ultrawide.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ Personally I don't get on with vertical black bars for some reason games especially I don't feel as immersed in them not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom