what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Surprised no one (that I could see) is producing the O2 to sell in the UK as its a relatively easy design to build and very good performance.

Epiphany Acoustics was but no one seems to have taken over. Must have not been enough demand and/or profit.

Can still get them imported from a US website but they're quite significantly more expensive.

Soldato
Surprised no one (that I could see) is producing the O2 to sell in the UK as its a relatively easy design to build and very good performance.

Seems like the perfect opportunity for you to step in and take your electronics hobby to the next level and maybe make some extra money while you're doing it. ;)

In my younger days I would have given it serious thought but my eyesight isn't good enough any more and arthritis in my hands has put paid to any fine work that would need doing (and stopped me playing guitar after 45 years).

Man of Honour
Wouldn't really know where to start on the business side for electronics - I've no idea what kind of regulations/standards, insurance, etc. would be involved in something like that.

Associate
I've been listening to a lot of music (long hours in front of the pc) so decided to invest in some comfortable and high quality headphones. I've purchased a set of beyerdynamic T90 and Sennheiser hd650 that I managed to pick up used for a great price.

I do prefer the sound from the Beyers. Both are fantastic, but I'm wondering if i'm doing them a massive dis-service using the soundcard I have. I was using on board (alc1150) which to me seemed good. However I decided to upgrade to a realtek audigy rx7.1. The thing is, I really dislike the software here and don't feel I'm getting anywhere near the full potential of the headphones.

I've been going back and forward on buying a dac/headphone amp like the fiio e17, but don't want to keep throwing money at things that might not make much of a difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which dac/amp ould be good for strictly PC use?

Thanks.

Soldato
^^^

Schiit Modi 2 DAC (£95) and Schiit Magni 2 amp (£95) - a great mini stack that really brings my HD650s to life and does a much better job than my FiiO E10K.

Both of the headphones you've bought really need a decent DAC and amp to enable them to sound their best, otherwise you are severely limiting their abilities.

I use the Schiit stack myself and am very satisfied with the sound quality and available power and see no need to purchase anything more expensive further down the line.

Associate
Thanks for that. I have come across the schiit gear before and they've always come highly recommended. Back goes that rubbish Creative RX.

Now to find some space on my desk!!

Soldato
You will also need a pair of interconnect cables between the DAC and amp - I use a pair of the Schiit Pyst cables, which are nice and short for stacking but any decently built pair will do.

Associate
Haha. Gotta love a company with a sense of humour.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be saving up a few hundred quid and making do for another couple of months.

They're not the most commonly stocked things in the UK!

Soldato
They are both in stock HERE

It's the same people behind Electromod, they were already the official UK retailers but now have the whole EU to play with.

It was a good idea while we were still an active member of the EU. :D

I've bought from both Electomod and Schiit EU, very good service from both.

Associate
I swear headphones are starting to becoming more of a status symbol even more. Had a full day trying some gear and the magic that older headphones had like the HE-500, LCD2, D2K-D7K is completely gone for just better technical performance and fancy looks. The fun is sucked out. My LCD-2 has more balls than the HEK that can't produce straight up potent bass. LCD-2 is more fun than the boring LCD-4. HE-500 is more musical and emotional than every current Hifiman.

I've notice more people on YouTube more concerned with status gear that musical gear.

Soldato
I honestly don't have any need for anything "better" than my HD650s, they are more than good enough for me to get the maximum enjoyment from my music.

I have found myself enjoying headphones and IEMs with more bass lately and am really enjoying the sound of my Sonys, just as fun headphones and at under a ton each they are proving to be very good value for money.

I think if I came into some money I would get the Sennheiser HD800S for critical listening and a pair of Nighthawks for fun and that would be my end game sorted.

Soldato
I've given up on finding one pair of headphones to answer the call for every taste of music. That's asking for a serious amount of dynamic range and unless you're paying an absolute fortune you're sacrificing fidelity in one range for another. I keep a different pair for certain genres instead.

For instance, I use a pair of beats by dre for dubstep and it's utterly phenomenal. You'll be hard pushed to find a pair of headphones that can play Gustav Holst Jupiter in perfect clarity yet hit the low frequencies in a dubstep track as well as the beats can.

Last edited:
Associate
I heard a recent LCD-3 and it sounded like my 2 but a bit lusher, did;t detect any resolution difference minus some treble refinement. Hifiman had a winner with the HE-500 but they bought out the HE-560 which doesn't improve anything and moves away form what made it loved. The HE-400 is a fun headphone yet the HE-400i and HE-400 go too far away from the HE-400's bass and fun.

The Nighthawks are what the headphone hobby needed yet audiophiles cry that it has too much bass.. it doesn't, it just has bass and audiophiles hate bass so they downvoted it. The fun is sucked out of all these new headphones. Pricing has gone through the roof more than ever before, 3k headphones are now the thing..none of them out perform the best at 1-2k.

I quite like the Hifiman X but £1300?! what are Hifiman smoking, I'd take the HE-500 over them anyday - X sound slower than the HD650 which is £230!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just took delivery of DT770 Pro today and I love them. The closed back works really well, so I'm not disturbing the gf watching films on TV. I would probably benefit from an amp or maybe DAC also, but for now they still sound great.

I had mine converted so I can use whatever cable I want.

Guessing in doing so, you void the warranty?

Anyone know which microphone can easily work well / attach onto these DT770 headphones?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I have the following:

Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser Game Zero
Shure SE535
Shure SE425
Anker Ultra-Portable Wireless Sport SoundBuds

I'd like to get the HD800S's further down the line though.

Back
Top Bottom