• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Man of Honour
To what ? anyone with a 980ti/1070/1080 cant consider AMD atm as they have nothing to compete Vega is still a massive unknown and no guarantee it will stand up to a 1070/1080 class card let alone a 1080ti/Titian X(P).

The Pascal Titan on water is a brute of a card @2160p and in some things can perform up to 50% better than a GTX 1080.

Soldato
To what ? anyone with a 980ti/1070/1080 cant consider AMD atm as they have nothing to compete Vega is still a massive unknown and no guarantee it will stand up to a 1070/1080 class card let alone a 1080ti/Titian X(P).

Well I'm guessing the 1080 Ti and Vega will be out at around the same time possibly hence people may move over to Vega if the 1080 Ti is obscenely priced.

Soldato
Also the amount of freesync monitorts, Nvidia should just enable freesync support because where you are stuck with gsync or freesync is annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
....Especially this generation where the price may be projected to be £800 to a £1000

The way prices are headed, I honestly think the 1080Ti is going to be the first £1K consumer non-Titan GPU. An FE edition will come in just under I reckon, but the AIB versions are going to be 4 figures. Sad times. :(

Associate
The way prices are headed, I honestly think the 1080Ti is going to be the first £1K consumer non-Titan GPU. An FE edition will come in just under I reckon, but the AIB versions are going to be 4 figures. Sad times. :(

My budget for a GPU is no more that £300 (after selling old gpu and/or free games).

Thing is, the super high luxury cards become obsolete very quickly compared to high range. 980ti £700 at launch is replaced by a £350 1070 card. 970 £299 is replaced by 1060 at £200.

Dont get me started on a Titan. Is the privelege of getting performance a hardly year in advance worth £300-400? Enough people think it so if theyre selling.

Im sure some people will think that £300 spend going 670->970->1070 every 2 or so years is obscene. Cant argue with that.

Last edited:
Associate

The Saddest thing is Nvidias sales have sky rocketed, I guess this is what happens with no competition

Associate
The Saddest thing is Nvidias sales have sky rocketed, I guess this is what happens with no competition

well...the 670 was pretty pricey at launch, I think the 970 may have been the cheap outlier at the time because amd's offering was strong. but adjusting for inflation (exacerbated by brexit) the prices arnt terrible.

Also Uk always get shafted compared to us prices. 300dollars =/= 300 pounds (may be in a few years due to brexit T.T)

Soldato

That's what happens when people are willing to spend whatever Nvidia ask, Nvidia have learned that they can keep upping the prices and people will keep paying it.

Soldato
That's what happens when people are willing to spend whatever Nvidia ask, Nvidia have learned that they can keep upping the prices and people will keep paying it.

Nvidia haven't just learned that. What you have described is just good normal business.
You don't sell something for a lower price you can sell for a higher price.

If AMD were in the same boat they'd do the same.

I use software tools that used to be obscenely priced. Much cheaper these days due to lots of competition and open source variants available too. I used to wonder why the £8000, 25000+ tools were so damn buggy too. Thankfully I never had to pay for them myself. MS WIndows is much more complex yet £100 to buy, albeit more of a mass market software than niche.

GPU's are a bit of a niche and with one competitor currently with nothing much available to compete, what's Nvidia to do? :).

We moan about crap console ports and poor game optimisation. If the games were better optimised maybe we wouldn't need the TX's and if many games that hit the market are rubbish anyway, why do we even bother?

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Everybody keeps moaning about NVidia prices, but you notice that the RX480 is priced right in line with the 1060 6GB.

I suppose that is NVidia fault as well. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Everybody keeps moaning about NVidia prices, but you notice that the RX480 is priced right in line with the 1060 6GB.

I suppose that is NVidia fault as well. :rolleyes:

It's not much faster than a Gtx 970 either

I dont get the 8gb 480 it's a 1080p card with 8gb ram...

Last edited:
Caporegime

Indeed. Consumers looking for a new card, who game above 1080p and want good framerates, have had no choice since the end of May.

It is looking like they will continue to not have a choice until at least early next year maybe longer as well.

In fact we might be looking at almost a year of Nvidia being completely unrivaled at the high end.

Associate
Thing is, the super high luxury cards become obsolete very quickly compared to high range. 980ti £700 at launch is replaced by a £350 1070 card. 970 £299 is replaced by 1060 at £200.

but the 980ti wasn't £700 at launch, I bought 2 for £599 each

Back
Top Bottom