Setting up Pi-hole

Don
Remember to run this every now and again..

pihole -up

this will update it to the latest version.

On a side note, mine seems to be failing to download the mirror1.malwaredomains.com list at the moment.

Soldato
So I got it up and running with minimal fuss on my VM for the home network. Quite happy with it so far.

1 point to notice is that I had a slight issue with it not working at first at I'd previously been using Bind9 as a cacheing nameserver of which the interface showed up as working but deeper in the logs dnsmasq couldn't start due to bind9 already using the IP.
Easily remedied by removing bind and then it's jumped into life.

Oddly when there "should" be an add I feel on something like Youtube it feels like it takes a second or 2 to do it's thing but I'd rather that than watch a 5-15 second video I don't care about.
Certainly much cleaner web pages.

Soldato
Oddly when there "should" be an add I feel on something like Youtube it feels like it takes a second or 2 to do it's thing but I'd rather that than watch a 5-15 second video I don't care about.

I get this too. At a guess I'd say it's the YouTube ad code timing out, but I haven't looked into it. It might be monkey-patchable with an extension...

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Had mine running perfectly on a Pi 1, but shifted over to a Pi 2 and also run openvpn on there which I'm generally connected to 90% the time when out- all my mobile browsing is ad free too now. Ace!

Associate
I need to get this booted up on to a Docker on my home server, Just got to make sure it plays nicely with my front end proxy.

Soldato
Had an old little 1ghz netbook that's not in use any more. Installed lubuntu on it and pi hole. Works very well.

I have my router name severs set to opendns from before so get best of both worlds.

Soldato
Looks like they have added a few new features like DNSSEC not sure what it does but i got a thumbs up :D

Untitled_3.jpg

Commissario
Cheapest place to buy a complete/everything included Pi?
Before Christmas, Amazon were doing the Pi3 starter kit for £42. I bought two of them, wish I'd had a couple more as that deal has gone up to £50 now.

This will run perfectly well on a Pi Zero although the web interface is a bit of a pain on the zero but you really don't need to use that for anything.

Pimoroni

pimoroni-20170204-090159.png

This gets you a complete setup for fractionally more than the cost of a bare Pi3. The shipping on my order was £2.50.

I got my zero, case and adapter from them, the order turned up very quickly and I've had no problems with any of it. The case is a little fiddely to assemble and you need to partially take it apart to put the SD card in but it's really a case of do it all and then forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom