The 'Show Your Creative Side' thread

Associate
OP
Hey thanks. Its a bit "safe" musically wise, but the song progression, variation between sections, general instrumentation and production I'm pretty pleased with. That song took me the best part of 12 months to write, record, mix and produce to what you hear from the link. Yup 12 months condensed into 3 mins and 30 seconds....

To be frank I'm completely sick of the damned track now buts its cool to present it to other ears and hear what they think, so cheers for the comments.

I can imagine composing and producing something has the potential to run indefinitely! I have the tendency to continually tweak and refine - a bit of a curse in some ways :)

Associate
That's exactly it. You can get completely bogged down if you are not careful. I can hear some areas in that track now that could do with further work, but I have put it to bed now and it will stay as it is.

I guess about 250-300 hours went into that track on the faders so to speak. That's not to mention the listening time working out what needs to be done. Once you cant stand to listen to it anymore its done. Master it and leave it.

I think it was Leonardo da Vinci who said "Art is never complete, only abandoned".

Last edited:
Associate
I have made a few things as most of you will remember. I'll post a few in this thread if new people want to see, but if you all remember me, I wont :D

The thing im most proud of is my robot, Cain from Robocop 2. There is a build thread on this forum somewhere. below is a few pics form the build and a few of the finished thing, I took about 500 photos in total, all are in the build thread.

DSC08415.JPG

DSC08698.JPG

DSC08907.JPG

DSC08995.JPG

DSC09556.JPG

1.JPG

4.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

2011-1.JPG

Associate
OP
I made a bird table for mum at christmas:

Looks really good! It's a lot more thoughtful and personal to give something like this as a gift than something random that catches your eye somewhere (I'm pretty guilty of that at times).

Edit: That's if it was a gift and you not just making it for her anyway!

I have made a few things as most of you will remember. I'll post a few in this thread if new people want to see, but if you all remember me, I wont :D

The thing im most proud of is my robot, Cain from Robocop 2. There is a build thread on this forum somewhere. below is a few pics form the build and a few of the finished thing, I took about 500 photos in total, all are in the build thread.

Good lord, that's incredible! A labour of love by the looks of things. I've not seen your postings so would be really keen to see what else you've made :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheap 'n Cheerful Oculus Sensor Monitor Mount

Couldn't find anything resembling what I was after, so I made one. A camera shoe mount was epoxy'd to a small block of MDF which had been covered in blackboard vinyl. A thick piece of plastic card was stapled to the wood and strong, 3M double sided tape stuck to the plastic card. It's really firmly attached now it's stuck into position. Less than £3 to complete this and am really pleased with it.

Soldato

2011-1.JPG

I remember that thread it was epic! and the results are beyond words, such attention to detail in the model.

Didn't you get thread of the year or similar for it?

Soldato
Not sure if I can compete with some of the mechanical marvels above, i'm not an engineer just a lowly musician, but I built this tune from scratch and I'm pretty pleased with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78674728/WhoAreWe_2016_FINAL.mp3

I have some better stuff on the burner right now, but this is probably the best I have made to date production wise.

Hope you enjoy.

I like this, nice chord/chorus/verse progression and good vocals :D

I'm not really an engineer, not to the levels of what I've seen on this thread.

But I do make music at times, it's not nearly as accessible or well engineered as your track, and I haven't done anything in a while - in fact my music is probably considered a bit weird..but here is my sound cloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/david-wilson-450/tracks

Hope this is can be enjoyed haha

Associate
Associate
I have had learning an instrument on my list for far too long listening to what you guys produce :)

Building Candy, what an incredible read that was! Bravo sir :cool:

Soldato
Small arcade with a custom Marquee dedicated to the arcades in Whitley Bay where I grew up and spent many happy times.

IMG_0333.png

Most proud of the work that I put into the custom interface, all of the artwork and game / cabinet information is shown when you cycle through the games.

IMG_20130929_195503.jpg

IMG_20131011_072136.jpg

Associate
OP
Small arcade with a custom Marquee dedicated to the arcades in Whitley Bay where I grew up and spent many happy times.

Most proud of the work that I put into the custom interface, all of the artwork and game / cabinet information is shown when you cycle through the games.

Nice! Is that a Hyperspin frontend?

Looks like you've got a lot of the classics on there. Scramble, what a great game! I used to play a lot of Super Cobra which is similar but came out later. What's it all powered by?

Associate
I like this, nice chord/chorus/verse progression and good vocals :D

https://soundcloud.com/david-wilson-450/tracks

Hope this is can be enjoyed haha

Thanks for the comments on "Who Are We" fella. Appreciated. :)

I have been listening to your Soundcloud account. I quite your Ambient stuff, especially the the retro style ones - gels with me - but in particular I have been replaying "2 Jan 16". Perhaps because its top of the list but I think there is something more than that within it which I will get to in a tick...

However first and don't take this the wrong way - but I have to say that its probably the worst example of an acoustic guitar synth/sample I have ever heard outside of a 20 year old GM MIDI onboard soundcard. The drums - as they are - are frankly, terrible. And what is going on with the timing? Is that deliberate?

With that said, I feel really drawn to the actual music. I can hear something there that gets my muso brain working. I keep playing it over and over and over again. I have already started playing it on my acoustic guitar. Kinda reminds me of chilling out on a hot beach on holiday and taking a quiet rum and coke after eating a fresh from the sea grilled octopus... I can see it going somewhere. I also think that you can take "Dark Guitar" and stick the two together and you are well on the way to coming up with a great track with decent variation.

So.... have you ever collaborated musically over the internets with anyone? Would you like to maybe take this track and work on it and take it somewhere? If so send me a PM and we'll talk :)

Cheers

Red

Last edited:
Associate
This is my band, The Boyfriend Club (don't ask about the name, long story). We released 5 tracks recently that we'd had saved up from the last 5 years or so! About time we released them...enjoy!

These are great. The mixes are outstanding. Everythings crisp and clear and succulent. Full mixes are rounded and balanced. I'm impressed - something to aspire to!

Drum recording is awesome. Did you do this in a pro studio or is it home-made?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the comments on "Who Are We" fella. Appreciated. :)

However first and don't take this the wrong way - but I have to say that its probably the worst example of an acoustic guitar synth/sample I have ever heard outside of a 20 year old GM MIDI onboard soundcard. The drums - as they are - are frankly, terrible. And what is going on with the timing? Is that deliberate?

So.... have you ever collaborated musically over the internets with anyone? Would you like to maybe take this track and work on it and take it somewhere? If so send me a PM and we'll talk :)

Cheers

Red

Cheers for your feedback Red, the timing wasn't intentionally bad unfortunately I've had major problems finding a good soft synth drum and the same with the guitar soft synth but a bad workman always blames his tools right and I've not done anything to clean up or improve the production of my pieces which works severely against them.

Which is where I could do with some collaboration help if I'm honest! I've done a little collaboration but not a great deal. I'll talk with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom