Road Cycling

Soldato
I was running M530's before, still have 2 battered sets of them in my 'cycling toolbox'. I didn't exactly have any other comparison apart from when I changed to SPD-SL which were obviously a more secure & solid fit! :rolleyes:

Got Keos on the summer bike, but the winter one has MTB SPDs, partly because of the 9 sets of lights on my commute and partly for the pre-existing 2 bolt winter boots.

Soldato
OMG SDK! That's on my list (mainly as I have an S-Works bike now) but mainly as I need a new lid and they look awesome.

Did you pay £160 or so?

80 miles yesterday and another 50 today. Legs need a break now!

Paid 80 for mine. Very good helmet. Got the matt black one myself. Comfortable but airy in the summer!

Soldato
So you're the guy who keeps knocking me out of the top 3 OcUK climbing list :p
Only because nobodies on holiday currently lol!? ;)

My mate over in Tenerife is struggling already, first day! Don't think he's appreciating the mountains... Yet! ;)
Got Keos on the summer bike, but the winter one has MTB SPDs, partly because of the 9 sets of lights on my commute and partly for the pre-existing 2 bolt winter boots.
There's benefits to both to be fair. If I had a dedicated commute bike with an hour or so of inner city riding I'd certainly go back to SPD. Just too much hassle changing pedals otherwise!

I have kept my old pair of SPD shoes for possible MTB use (also why I've not got rid of pedals), as I've one friend who rides downhill and another who's getting back into trail riding. The days are numbered before I pickup a trail knock-around for some offroad fun! I had hoped my Diverge would cover it, but he just changed his hardtail to a fullsus... :rolleyes:
I'll make sure to follow you, make sure you're not coming over to this region of the midlands! ;)
He doesn't tend to ride as south as you. Neither of you come this way much either! Still, we should sort a midlands ride out at some point as there's a couple here from Gloucester direction too! Could even drag FT down as he's got friends near Cheltenham he's ridden to before! ;):)

Soldato
I had an s works evade, exactly the same as that red one. It was brand new and my first time wearing it but it did save my life as I landed on my head at 30mph and was totally fine. £160 of brand new helmet going in the bin hurt more than crashing. It cracked right through the middle on the side of the helmet, done its job well.

Soldato
Do Spesh do crash replacement?

You do know there's other more efficient ways of braking than using ya heed?

They do. I could have got a replacement Evade for £90 or something with the crash replacement discount but screw that I wasn't ready to waste more money on another.

Complete non fault of mine. Some moron crashed across the whole road and I was on his wheel. Wrong place, wrong time.

Soldato
On the subject of sportives has anyone / is anyone doing the Etape Loch Ness?

I potentially have a place and it seems a long way to go for a 66 mile ride but I'm tempted.

Soldato

I potentially have a place and it seems a long way to go for a 66 mile ride but I'm tempted.

I drove round it when I toured the highlands. The south side is a very nice ride, the roads are very quiet but the north side seems dangerous if it follows the road as it's very busy and the traffic travels quite fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
Equally will have a Chilterns hoo-har for those willing as well.
Certainly up for this!

I drove round it when I toured the highlands. The south side is a very nice ride, the roads are very quiet but the north side seems dangerous if it follows the road as it's very busy and the traffic travels quite fast.

It's closed roads fortunately!

I drove the North side a while back and it was a weekday so fairly light traffic and I was thinking wow no one cycling - it looks perfect.. Mind you we had a surprisingly nice weather day for Scotland in November.

Soldato

yeah - I'm booked for it with about 5 or 6 other cycling mates. Making a weekend of it. Got 2 nights B&B booked so can go out after it!

Get yourself booked for it - if you fancy it let me know and I'll send you a email with our "group" code to make sure your in the same wave as us if you want.

Soldato
Is anyone thinking about entering the wiggle Cotswold ride?
Didn't know about it, until now! :o

I'm a maybe, just until I decide what I'm going to do for the other half's birthday on the 19th. There's also a local charity ride here on the 16th I'd like to do as it normally falls on her birthday weekend! Was going to do the 93 mile route for it too, doh! This time as her birthday is midweek I was going to try and 'encourage' her birthday weekend to be the 'other' weekend! But not sure that gives me an excuse for a 200 mile/8000ft elevation weekend lol!? ;)

Also the start is also 60+ miles away and closer to Oxford than Hereford! :(
It's on closed roads. I drove around Loch Ness about 6 years ago (a former work colleague got married on the shores) such a beautiful part of the world. I'd put it on my bucket list if it didn't take 6+ hours to get there! ;)

One of my best mates is 'getting back into riding' and bought a hardtail. Went out with some others and has swapped it to a fullsus. I had hoped to get out on some trails with him on my Diverge, but now knowing he's moved to fullsus it's very doubtful the Diverge will manage with what he'll be riding... Any suggestions on an 'entry' level fullsus that won't cost an arm and a leg (<£1500), but is quality enough to hold ok resale value if I don't ride it enough? Or should I head to the dark-side MTB thread? :p;)

Soldato
yeah - I'm booked for it with about 5 or 6 other cycling mates. Making a weekend of it. Got 2 nights B&B booked so can go out after it!

Get yourself booked for it - if you fancy it let me know and I'll send you a email with our "group" code to make sure your in the same wave as us if you want.

Ah nice! I'm waiting to here from a mate about it but think he might already have a spot booked. I'll update when I know. Did you do it before? Seems like a tame route besides the Fort Augustus climb?

One of my best mates is 'getting back into riding' and bought a hardtail. Went out with some others and has swapped it to a fullsus. I had hoped to get out on some trails with him on my Diverge, but now knowing he's moved to fullsus it's very doubtful the Diverge will manage with what he'll be riding... Any suggestions on an 'entry' level fullsus that won't cost an arm and a leg (<£1500), but is quality enough to hold ok resale value if I don't ride it enough? Or should I head to the dark-side MTB thread? :p;)

Where are they riding? To be honest I doubt you need a full sus unless doing some really rocky bumpy stuff. There are probably a fair few deals about on Cube stuff. Generally good value!

A mate has a full sus 27.5" and I cope mostly fine on a cheap hardtail 29er. Probably not on really rocky mountains but Afan wasn't too ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom