LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Are there any sites that analyse the light quality and intensity distribution from different bulbs - the case in point being the Gu10 Lap versus philips ?

Philips GU10 LED Glass Reflector Lamps 390lm 900Cd 4.6W 3 Pack (3995P) £12.99 vs
LAP GU10 LED Reflector Lamp 345lm 900Cd 5.2W 5 Pack (8433P) £9.99
[2 year 'guarantee' on both I think]

(as mentioned in earlier post ) these reflectors maybe asthetic, embedded in ceiling, but poor uniformity of light they achieve makes them less efficient for lighting a space than an exposed b22 or a t8.
I now experimented and plugged a b22 into a gu10 with an adapter, and one 9W b22 bulb 800lm, achieves same as 4 embedded 350lm gu10's.

EDIT :noted beam angle on LAP/Philips is 36°. - so may try these SMD ones from TLC with 110°. for better uniformity

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if this has been asked before but can anyone recommend a transformer?

I replaced all the halogen GU10 bulbs in my bathroom yesterday with LED ones (from sainsburys). Initally they worked for about 5 minutes then they all shut down. Turned them back on again and the all started flashing very quickly. Suffice to say I replaced them with the original halogen bulbs again which worked fine.

so I'm guessing my transformer is the issue. I have 5 GU10 downlights using an "Aurora 35-105W/ VA Dimmable Low Voltage Electronic Transformer" which i purchased in 2015.

am i right in thinking that i need an LED driver to replace the aurora?

Soldato
OK - Fitted a Philips 10W MASTER LED (60W Replacement) Warm White, Dimmable, B22 Bayonet Cap bulb in a bedroom.

It's controlled via a Varilight JQP401W LED Dimmer Switch.

I've noticed from 2-3ft away I can hear the bulb buzzing. It's not loud, but it annoying.

Is this normal? Or is the bulb faulty?

Anyone able to recommend a B22 (Bayonet Cap) LED replacement bulb that does not buzz?

Soldato
OK - Fitted a Philips 10W MASTER LED (60W Replacement) Warm White, Dimmable, B22 Bayonet Cap bulb in a bedroom.

It's controlled via a Varilight JQP401W LED Dimmer Switch.

I've noticed from 2-3ft away I can hear the bulb buzzing. It's not loud, but it annoying.

Is this normal? Or is the bulb faulty?

Anyone able to recommend a B22 (Bayonet Cap) LED replacement bulb that does not buzz?
Right I've tried in addition to the Philips "Master" an Osram and another Philips LED.

The Philips Master and Osram (dimmables) both buzz annoyingly in normal dimmers and dedicated LED dimmers - No matter what the brightness.

The other Philips (clear white 60w) doesn't buzz what ever sort of dimmer its controlled via.

Returning the buzzing ones... Getting more of the 9W>60W Philips clear warm white bulbs.

EDIT: And this non-buzzing bulb also goes dimmer too! Win win win!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone able to recommmend my some 50W GU10 replacements?

Ideally as close in colour and wide beam as regular GU10s please and dimmable. I need to replace a dozen of them...

Soldato
Used LEDhut a week ago for some GU10s for the kitchen. So much brighter and I cant believe 6 bulbs are only taking 30 watts compared to 210 watts before. 4000K gives off a lovely white light too. Not too blue. I got the wide beams and I was a little skeptical about there being bright spots, but no, they give off a nice even light.

They have a very slight green tinge but it's very difficult to notice it's still a very white light. Shot some gray cards with my DSLR and analysed the raw output. Green channel is about +1EV relative to red and blue, which are even. But I guess that's to be expected at 4000K.

I think plants look really good due to this.

Now looking to get some 4000K bayonet bulbs for the stairs/landings too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Used LEDhut a week ago for some GU10s for the kitchen. So much brighter and I cant believe 6 bulbs are only taking 30 watts compared to 210 watts before. 4000K gives off a lovely white light too. Not too blue. I got the wide beams and I was a little skeptical about there being bright spots, but no, they give off a nice even light.

They have a very slight green tinge but it's very difficult to notice it's still a very white light. Shot some gray cards with my DSLR and analysed the raw output. Green channel is about +1EV relative to red and blue, which are even. But I guess that's to be expected at 4000K.

I think plants look really good due to this.

Now looking to get some 4000K bayonet bulbs for the stairs/landings too.

RE B22 (bayonet) see my post #1866...

Soldato
I could do with some pointers regarding a lighting unit I have in the kitchen. It is a ceiling mounted 4 light gu10. I have looked in the likes of b&q but I don't think I want spots I think I want whatever the other is called. Needs to be fairly bright to. Any help would be appreciated

Soldato
Soldato
Did you have a link to what you purchased was it this
Philips LED Warm Glow B22 Bayonet Cap Dimmable Light Bulb, 8.5 W (60 W) - Warm White

these ony seem available in 2.7K and not 4K.

asim18 if you want a colour accurate 4k non-dimmable the hyperikon colour is great, only issue is they may interfere with FM radio, but since it is amazon you can retrun them.
.. wait until price drops again to £12.

Those are the ones I got and we're the only non buzzy ones of the three variants I tried. They also dimmed the lowest.

Soldato
Anyone else find they are not very reliable ? Sort of defeats any cost savings

I replaced most of the CCFL ones in our new ish house 2 years ago

So far 5 LE branded ones (not cheap) have failed (these were fine for 18 months then started failing at rate of one every 2 weeks to 1 month)

Replaced some of these with Philips ones recently - 1 has failed already

Bought 5 OSRAM M9 halogen replacements one has failed after a month

Bought 6 Ever ready mini globe E27s none have failed but I have had to remove 2 as they sound like mosquitos

Is in general the quality not what it should be or do I have dodge light fittings/electricity !!

I deliberately picked well reviewed price not an issue bulbs for all of above with hope they'd last

Only ones that haven't failed so far are Integrals but I only have 3 of those so smaller sample size

I noticed most LED bulbs have life hours specified and switch on cycles specified .... well to me that is a bit of a nonsense

its all very well having a LED life of say 50,000 hours, and say 150k switch cycles - BUT if the random failure rate (which is separate to the "life" and takes into account the random failures of the LED, the power electronics etc) is say 10,000 hours, there is a very good chance that most of the time you will never reach the "life"

Soldato
Anyone recommend some LED GU10s that are as close colour match as possible to regular 50W GU10s as possible. Got some from the LED Hut and even though they're suppose to be 2700K I'd say they're too white. Plus they buzz :(

Soldato
not quite the same NeilFawcett - but I bought a GU5.3 Philips bulb that I've been pleased with for a "spot" - if anything its "too warm" - it has a slightly red tint - although the red tint seems to have decayed over time (or my eyes have got used to it) - no buzzing or anything

Soldato
Buckster;30484544 said:
Anyone else find they are not very reliable ? Sort of defeats any cost savings

I replaced most of the CCFL ones in our new ish house 2 years ago

So far 5 LE branded ones (not cheap) have failed (these were fine for 18 months then started failing at rate of one every 2 weeks to 1 month)

Replaced some of these with Philips ones recently - 1 has failed already

Bought 5 OSRAM M9 halogen replacements one has failed after a month

Bought 6 Ever ready mini globe E27s none have failed but I have had to remove 2 as they sound like mosquitos

Is in general the quality not what it should be or do I have dodge light fittings/electricity !!

I deliberately picked well reviewed price not an issue bulbs for all of above with hope they'd last

Only ones that haven't failed so far are Integrals but I only have 3 of those so smaller sample size

I noticed most LED bulbs have life hours specified and switch on cycles specified .... well to me that is a bit of a nonsense

its all very well having a LED life of say 50,000 hours, and say 150k switch cycles - BUT if the random failure rate (which is separate to the "life" and takes into account the random failures of the LED, the power electronics etc) is say 10,000 hours, there is a very good chance that most of the time you will never reach the "life"

Considering the volume of lamps you are getting through I would say you have an issue in the property, I fitted my entire house with LED lamps (bar one lamp that has narrow glass shades) nearly 4 years ago and only had one lamp die.

All lamps were from LEDhut or screwfix.

Soldato
BigBoy;30484776 said:
Considering the volume of lamps you are getting through I would say you have an issue in the property, I fitted my entire house with LED lamps (bar one lamp that has narrow glass shades) nearly 4 years ago and only had one lamp die.

All lamps were from LEDhut or screwfix.

none of the CFLs failed, nor did "normal" bulbs

property is 2000 era - each floor on a separate circuit

last time I checked the supply voltage is quite high - I think 245V according to my wall meter - but that is within regulations (240v +/- 6%)

Back
Top Bottom