• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Associate
can you confirm this pair is compatible please the 370 taichi and 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX, will i need to change any settings or will it be good to go out of the box.

thankyou for any and all help

Associate
How does the asus x370 prime stack up with ram speed compared to their boards? I already own a 3200mhz kit so it would be a deciding factor in board choice for me.

OcUK Staff
OP
can you confirm this pair is compatible please the 370 taichi and 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX, will i need to change any settings or will it be good to go out of the box.

thankyou for any and all help

It will work but you will need to setup the memory manual in the BIOS, so set it at 3000MHz, set basic cas timings and set voltage to 1.35v. See how it goes, if it does not run drop to 2400MHz and work up from there, though the Asrock's are performing very well indeed. They are like the wolf in sheeps clothing. :)

Soldato
@Gibbo
I'm going to get 32GB of RAM to go with my Ryzen build. I wanted to know whether 2x high density is preferred over 4x lower density with Ryzen? As i want to get the most out of the RAM.
TIA

EDIT: Sorry, just seen the response above.
Thanks.

Associate
It will work but you will need to setup the memory manual in the BIOS, so set it at 3000MHz, set basic cas timings and set voltage to 1.35v. See how it goes, if it does not run drop to 2400MHz and work up from there, though the Asrock's are performing very well indeed. They are like the wolf in sheeps clothing. :)
assuming i dont know how to do any of what u just said (and i dont) should i just go for 2666 to get it up and running with no tinkering?

Associate
Hi there

Just to help educate a little.

Ryzen is compatible with all current DDR4 memory and officially supports upto 3600MHz.

However the sweet spot is 2400-2666MHz, this speed will work with all mainboards including cheaper options.

3000MHz and above will ONLY work at such frequencies in the flagship mainboards like Asus Crosshair for example and even then the maximum stable speed we achieve with a lot of messing around was 3200MHz, which really makes 3000MHz the maximum speed we advise.

Of course you could buy 3200 or even 3600 kit now, and just run it at a lower frequency with more aggressive CAS Timings and as BIOS updates come out then you might be able to achieve higher frequency.

As such we recommend 2400-3000MHz kits for use with Ryzen, faster kits will work just fine but you might have to run them below the rated speed and just set the memory timings more aggressive. :)

Thanks, that's really useful information. You should make it a sticky :cool:

Permabanned

X370 Taichi AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard or
X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

I am stuck on choosing between the above two..... and my memory choice is

Night Hawk LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz

Soldato
Soldato
Right, i want the best possible speed Memory, so whats the consensus on which motherboard will support that? And is there much difference between the B and X models? im going single card, so leaning towards B, with the thoughts that the cPU's dont OC very well if at all, so im prob going 1800X straight up to get the best possible speed / Cores.

Problem i have is which Motherboard is going to offer the best Ram support, i want a minimum of 3000mhz, on a B350 if possible?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do the AMD boards/bios support the auto-configuration of memory - XMP ??

Been a long time since I've been in the AMD fold and I cannot remember if it will work - e.g. its largely a BIOS function but may need some support from the chipset too but I would sort of expect it to work (and I've not found any downloadable manuals for x370 boards yet).

M.

Associate
Right, i want the best possible speed Memory, so whats the consensus on which motherboard will support that? And is there much difference between the B and X models? im going single card, so leaning towards B, with the thoughts that the cPU's dont OC very well if at all, so im prob going 1800X straight up to get the best possible speed / Cores.

Problem i have is which Motherboard is going to offer the best Ram support, i want a minimum of 3000mhz, on a B350 if possible?

From Gibbo's post....
Ryzen is compatible with all current DDR4 memory and officially supports upto 3600MHz.

However the sweet spot is 2400-2666MHz, this speed will work with all mainboards including cheaper options.

3000MHz and above will ONLY work at such frequencies in the flagship mainboards like Asus Crosshair for example and even then the maximum stable speed we achieve with a lot of messing around was 3200MHz, which really makes 3000MHz the maximum speed we advise.

Soldato
Do the AMD boards/bios support the auto-configuration of memory - XMP ??

Been a long time since I've been in the AMD fold and I cannot remember if it will work - e.g. its largely a BIOS function but may need some support from the chipset too but I would sort of expect it to work (and I've not found any downloadable manuals for x370 boards yet).

M.
Yes, its called AMP. Might need to dig in the bios as you say but I imagine thats where the OC profiles for the higher end boards are coming from.

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/innovations/software-technologies/amp

Soldato
Motherboard manufacturers always make claims, but maxing RAM frequency on all platforms never comes easy.

You've done the pre-orders a massive favour :D

Prob most info buyers will get till the 2nd hehe :)

*cough* Gaming 3, should be good up to 2667hz in thoery, but easier to play it safe :D

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom