• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Caporegime
The nvidia marketing messaging is what you are getting back from your prospective sellers and that is what matters to Nvidia in the long run. When Titan Volta lands at Christmas the whole cycle will repeat itself.

Volta isnt due until 2018 so by past generations it will be the 80 version out first with the Titan Volta by next Christmas.

Caporegime
So all this talk about the Ti being faster than a TXP is now confirmed I take it? Or is it a case like when they said the 1080 was as fast as a TXP - and it wasn't apart from perhaps a little in VR.

Depends on your definition.

At stock speeds - Yes it is as the Ti has faster stock speeds.
At max stock boost - Yes it is because the Ti is clocked faster, has superior cooling so boost is higher (keeps higher boost due to lower temps) so it ends up being faster than the Titan.
Both at max overclocked boost - The TitanXP is faster.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^ gives users options to boost fast without having to water cool . as we all know if your using a Titan, its best under water and that matter any pascal but not needed as much .

Caporegime
^^^ gives users options to boost fast without having to water cool . as we all know if your using a Titan, its best under water and that matter any pascal but not needed as much .

The big advantage is some of the better coolers like Pallit and Zotac which are 2.5/3 width coolers will be able to keep the Ti at a much higher boost than a FE cooler ever could. But yes, Titan needs water as otherwise the FE cooler cripples it and the boost trails off to 2Ghz so you lose performance. Hopefully that wont be the case with the 1080ti although it may well still apply to the TI flounders edition.

Associate
The Titan XP will still be faster at max overclock. The Ti is faster at standard clocks as it has higher base clock than XP Titan. It will also boost higher than Titan XP but most who have Titan XP have it under water. so although the ti is faster at stock and under boost clock I don't expect them to clock any higher than a Titan or 1080 as they will be voltage locked.

But even so a dam fast card it will be and no reason anyone now should buy a titan XP with the ti beating it at stock outa box.

Only thing I could perhaps see is later in the year a fully unlocked Titan XP black say as nvidia will cream Pascal to death before Volta is launched next year. No need to rush Volta out now as nvidia proberly know that Vega can keep with a 1080 they have put the ti out there to make sure they are still top dog in the market for 4k gaming this side of next year.

Associate
How come so many comments saying wait for Volta, speed jumps are always going to be incremental surely, the previous XX80's have only been what, 20% faster than the ti's before them? Are people expecting Vega to be more than just competitive?

Soldato
People say it every time a new gpu or cpu comes out, wait for the next thing to pop along, which I find bizarre, if you've got the money and the upgrade is there then go for it. I have this time around as the 1080ti is a massive jump in performance compared to the 980ti I currently run.

Caporegime
How come so many comments saying wait for Volta, speed jumps are always going to be incremental surely, the previous XX80's have only been what, 20% faster than the ti's before them? Are people expecting Vega to be more than just competitive?

Well according to Nvidias roadmap, Volta is complete new architecture and is 50% faster than Pascal. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I wouldn't wait, its not due until 2018, thats a long time to wait.

On the other hand I wouldnt got from a 1080 to a 1080ti either.

Caporegime
People say it every time a new gpu or cpu comes out, wait for the next thing to pop along, which I find bizarre, if you've got the money and the upgrade is there then go for it. I have this time around as the 1080ti is a massive jump in performance compared to the 980ti I currently run.

Thats how you should always do it. Either go 80>80>80 or Ti>Ti>Ti or Titan>Titan>Titan as each normally a 50% gain so you notice a differerence.

Associate
Well according to Nvidias roadmap, Volta is complete new architecture and is 50% faster than Pascal. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I wouldn't wait, its not due until 2018, thats a long time to wait.

On the other hand I wouldnt got from a 1080 to a 1080ti either.
Speculation was the same going maxwell to pascal wasn't it? And yeah since starting with PC gaming I've gone 780ti>980ti>1080ti.

Man of Honour
Indeed. I am on TXM SLI and I don't think SLI works in over half the games I play. I was considering selling one but changing the loop put me off. 1080 Ti gives me the same performance, no SLI and the change won't cost me very much at all apart from depreciation of the TXM cards which was inevitable anyway.

Back
Top Bottom