Road Cycling

Soldato
Truth be told I am good with tehno gizmo's and hopeless at primitive dirty tools/dirty handed work :p

I also live in a cave, wear a kilt and eat bricks for breakfast.

Soldato
External or whatever the specs say up there. Nah not for summer bike. 25s are fine and allow easy swapping to tt bike for windy races . 28 would destroy the aero due to bulge.
Doubt that many TT frames have fork/bridge clearance for 28 tyres anyway! ;)
Sigmasport have the Gabba 2 SS for £84 - is that a good price?

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Castelli/Gabba-2-Short-Sleeve-Jersey/412W
Fairly good, couple of quid cheaper on Mantel. Castelli have blurred the lines with their renaming of the 'Gabba' to the 'Perfetto', yet still producing the Gabba - so you could get some fantastic deals on the original 'Gabba'. I saw them on Wiggle for £65 and nearly bought one (just not the right size & colour in stock)! There are 'Light' versions of each (previously the Imprevisto?). There's a few different colour options on Evans' but they're nowhere near as cheap.

I really want a Male one in the Luna Grey the female one is available in! :(
EDIT: Found a Gabba 3 in perfect colours... Now to wait for availability & sales! ;)

EDIT: Tredz, Merlin & CRC are cheaper: https://pricespy.co.uk/search.php?s=castelli gabba#t-product

Medium. TBH I might end up fitting into it if I shave off some more kg... though shoulder width was the real problem.
Same problem I have, Medium Castelli is great for aero, providing the shoulders stretch enough. Without much stretch (like the Gabba) I'm a Large and have to put up with a baggy torso *sigh*.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is now officially spring. Nothing to do with the vernal equinox or any of that jazz, the true indicator is that my default bike on Strava has now been swapped from the winter machine.

LET THE GOOD WEATHER COMMENCE!

I shall celebrate by going for what is embarrassingly only my 5th ride of the month this evening on slicks :)

Soldato
Pee'd off. Clocks are changing, weather is turning, and so for the 2nd time in the space of a week I've twanged a muscle in my hip/back/glute. I've been trying to stretch it out and I've made it worst, now it REALLY hurts.

I think that's just trashed my plans for a ride out tomorrow morning too. FFS was really looking forward to getting 40 miles done tomorrow. :(

I've just booked a session with a sports physio a few miles up the road from work, but she can't see me till Tuesday.

Oh and I've ridden to work - so now I have to pedal 8 miles home with just the one leg. :o

Soldato
It's that time of year when you start a ride in the morning and it's 2C then after a couple of hours it's above 10C and rising. Choosing what to wear is too tricky :/

Soldato
Well, this evening I learnt the hard way that if a driver nearly knocks you over because they aren't looking you should just suck it up like a good 2nd-class road user!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Driver pulls out on me, almost taking me out so in a moment of anger I kick his car to show my disgust. He stops and I end up next to his window which he winds down and we start the verbal battle. I'm trying to explain he pulled out on me without looking but he's angry I kicked his car. He looks like he's going to open the door into me so I lean into the door to block it and instead he grabs my cycling glasses (scratching my face and drawing blood in the process) and throws them into the road where a red bus crushes them.
icon_neutral.gif
I retaliated by elbowing his wing mirror as hard as I could but instead of coming off it just went backwards on its hinge (perhaps a good thing in the long run). Then a passing policeman intervened!

He takes us to one side and we try to talk it out. The driver is so angry that I "damaged" his car he doesn't give a **** that he almost ran me over or that he physically assaulted me. In fact, he admits he didn't see me and I make the point that I have a bright flashing front light so he clearly didn't look. I felt the cop was siding with the driver and was basically saying I needed to pay for the damage, which was barely a scuff that you could easily polish out. I then said he smashed my glasses that are worth over £100 and he was like oh okay, it's tit for tat, shake hands and agree to disagree. I didn't realise at this point the driver had actually made me bleed or I would have mentioned it. Tis but a scratch but the fact remains he physically attacked me because I kicked his car.

I'm sure people may say I provoked the driver into clawing at my face and smashing my glasses so I deserve it but it's just amazing how both the driver and policeman glossed over the terrible driving that triggered the chain of events. I also felt the policeman was biased towards the driver and no matter how sound your reasoning, a policeman is the LAW and never wrong so it's futile to even try and talk it out with them.

Maybe it's time to invest in a helmet cam?
icon_evil.gif

Soldato
Well, this evening I learnt the hard way that if a driver nearly knocks you over because they aren't looking you should just suck it up like a good 2nd-class road user!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Driver pulls out on me, almost taking me out so in a moment of anger I kick his car to show my disgust. He stops and I end up next to his window which he winds down and we start the verbal battle. I'm trying to explain he pulled out on me without looking but he's angry I kicked his car. He looks like he's going to open the door into me so I lean into the door to block it and instead he grabs my cycling glasses (scratching my face and drawing blood in the process) and throws them into the road where a red bus crushes them.
icon_neutral.gif
I retaliated by elbowing his wing mirror as hard as I could but instead of coming off it just went backwards on its hinge (perhaps a good thing in the long run). Then a passing policeman intervened!

He takes us to one side and we try to talk it out. The driver is so angry that I "damaged" his car he doesn't give a **** that he almost ran me over or that he physically assaulted me. In fact, he admits he didn't see me and I make the point that I have a bright flashing front light so he clearly didn't look. I felt the cop was siding with the driver and was basically saying I needed to pay for the damage, which was barely a scuff that you could easily polish out. I then said he smashed my glasses that are worth over £100 and he was like oh okay, it's tit for tat, shake hands and agree to disagree. I didn't realise at this point the driver had actually made me bleed or I would have mentioned it. Tis but a scratch but the fact remains he physically attacked me because I kicked his car.

I'm sure people may say I provoked the driver into clawing at my face and smashing my glasses so I deserve it but it's just amazing how both the driver and policeman glossed over the terrible driving that triggered the chain of events. I also felt the policeman was biased towards the driver and no matter how sound your reasoning, a policeman is the LAW and never wrong so it's futile to even try and talk it out with them.

Maybe it's time to invest in a helmet cam?
icon_evil.gif

After reading time and time again on Road CC that cyclists being knocked off by careless drivers, if you are not physically injured it doesn't matter to the police, they aren't interested. A tin box is worth more than a cyclist unless you are seriously hurt and even they they will get off lightly

Soldato
Sorry to hear that but dude you shouldn't have kicked his car - that was wrong. I totally get your anger - but you can't go losing your cool like that.

Seems like it was resolved sensibly in the end, seemed like a sensible solution for both parties to take care of their own damages.

Back
Top Bottom