Panasonic ax902, DSE and banding

Associate
anyone else got one ? do you suffer from banding lines or dirty screen effect ? got an engineer coming to look at mine on Monday

Soldato
don't have one, but avforums (as you have probably seen, has extensive thread) which does talk about some panel 'lottery'
and multiple swaps people have had.

you did not say how new it is ?

Armed with that kind of info I would be requesting a swap (but I am a Panasonic fan/owner believing in their better build quality)

Associate
OP
21 months, to be fair customer service has been very good so far , they are sending an engineer out Monday to have a look

Associate
OP
The engineer has just been ( i wasn't home) the mother in law let them in , they didn't know how to turn the TV on !!! mother in law says they took pics (once they had worked out how to turn it on) and will send them to Panasonic to see if its within tolerance .

Soldato
My 1st 58dx902 had a black ripple line a quarter in from the right. Could be seen clearly watching football.
2lca1dj.jpg

My 2nd 58dx902 had bad DSE, a black blob in the middle moving to the top right. In Forza3 in HDR half the sky was dark blue in the middle.
2625fh4.jpg

My mates 65js8500 has virtually zero DSE / banding. Awesome quality LCD. Looks brighter in the middle here but not to the human eye. Must be the camera.
2l9r3te.jpg

DSE on my 2nd 58dx902. Also trailing FALD lights which is not really a fault.

Here where the DSE blob in the middle is darker it actually blocks out the FALD lights lol. See 14m 40s.

Suffice it to say I'll never go FALD again, even the Samsung KS9500 which also has DSE issues apparently.
I reckon when shining bright direct light through the LCD it just shows up the faults but edge lit light is naturally more diffuse so masks the faults.

Waiting for the 55E6 to drop in price prob 17th April while the 2nd dx902 is in an exchange limbo.

Associate
OP
My 1st 58dx902 had a black ripple line a quarter in from the right. Could be seen clearly watching football.

My 2nd 58dx902 had bad DSE, a black blob in the middle moving to the top right. In Forza3 in HDR half the sky was dark blue in the middle.

My mates 65js8500 has virtually zero DSE / banding. Awesome quality LCD. Looks brighter in the middle here but not to the human eye. Must be the camera.

DSE on my 2nd 58dx902. Also trailing FALD lights which is not really a fault.

Here where the DSE blob in the middle is darker it actually blocks out the FALD lights lol. See 14m 40s.

Suffice it to say I'll never go FALD again, even the Samsung KS9500 which also has DSE issues apparently.
I reckon when shining bright direct light through the LCD it just shows up the faults but edge lit light is naturally more diffuse so masks the faults.

Waiting for the 55E6 to drop in price prob 17th April while the 2nd dx902 is in an exchange limbo.

That's a blow , panasonic wasn't happy with the pics the engineers took , so the are picking my AX today (the dse seems to be getting bigger)

Soldato
that is a result, if they are going to repair/replace it - who was it purchased from ?

in the words of the stranglers (well - honest samsung) No More Full-Array Backlighting anymore
The Q9 Series is the flagship of the Samsung 4K Ultra HD QLED line, and as we said earlier, all QLED TVs this year use a lighting system that places the LEDs at the far left and right edges of the screen. In the Q9, this is a departure from last year’s flagship KS9800 series SUHD LCD TVs that used full-array LED backlighting fully across the backplane of the quantum dot film and LCD panel. Full-array LED backlighting allows more localized control of the backlight to produce deeper blacks with finer detail where it’s needed in specific areas of the screen. This technique also helps reduce certain LCD artifacts like haloing around bright rounded objects on the screen.

We were told Samsung engineers felt the benefits of the new QLED technology was such that full-array LED backlighting was no longer needed and that the new quantum dot system works equally well with edge or full-array LED backlights.

After our initial overview, we preferred the full-array backlighting in last year’s KS9800 to the Q9’s LED edge light, even with the brightness boost. One of the problem areas we noted was that bright white elements near the boarder of the picture tended to spill through into the black letterbox top and bottom frames on wide aspect ratio (2.39:1) Ultra HD Blu-ray and streamed movie content. This was an issue that we first saw in Samsung’s edge-lit SUHD TVs two years ago. The effect was supposed to have been cleaned up with a firmware update in those older models, and it was effectively controlled in full-array LED backlit models. A Samsung representative said he believes much of these issues in the pre-production samples should be correctable in firmware, and we were told several updates were already installed in the days between our initial review and the followup.

Is this review serious. Samsung is trying to pull a fast one. Theses are simply LCD TVs with quantum dots. This is not a new category of TVs . We are not stupid Samsung. Just like they tried to sell LCD TVs with led backlight as a new type of Tv . Come on innovate or lose market share

Associate
OP
think they have picked it up to get better pictures , i got it from a company called TPS (the perfect signal ) it came with Panasonic's 5 year warranty then a further 2 years from TPS .

Associate
OP
update .. I've rang the repair centre, they said they have put a request in to Panasonic for a new screen ( i didn't think you can get them anymore from what i have read , but hey ! )

Associate
thanks , in your experience does a screen swap work ?

just rolling the panel lottery every time pal . wait 40 days get a bad panel 2-3 days for panasonic to say if it fails then another 40 days for next one , you know rinse wash repeat. We sell refurbished products etc and we tend to steer from panasonics at all costs. not to sound bias i always say buy Samsung simply because the parts are available pretty quick. ordered a 78 inch panel for a refurb job friday it was delivered fitted tested etc yesterday customer got it this morning.

Associate
OP
Another update , the repair centre has called to say they can't replace the screen and would I accept a new DX as a replacement ?
I see the EX 750 has just come out , should I ask for one of these instead ?

Associate
Another update , the repair centre has called to say they can't replace the screen and would I accept a new DX as a replacement ?
I see the EX 750 has just come out , should I ask for one of these instead ?

If you could get an EX by all means do so but id try get a samsung QLED ;) or LG OLED ;) oh also forgot the EZ952 from panasonic ?

Soldato
yes, if you need to stay with Pan their ez952 oled would be nice, but you would probably have to volunteer some additional cash.
EX is not IPS only VA so would loose viewing angles, avforums have some reviews people consider this or sony xe90
Not sure whose panel EX uses - LG ?
Samsung QLED .. we are waiting for some user reviews .... but Pan should have better processing.

Associate
OP
Good on panasonic for swapping my AX for the DX , shocking work from your service center!

the service center promised me i would get it before Easter, i rang last Wednesday , to see what time they were coming to fit it to be told they had no engineers free , so i ended up doing a 75 mile round trip on Thursday to pick it up and fit it myself .

the tv is amazing !

Back
Top Bottom