The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
The A9 does look good, 24mp is enough for work, dual card is a must, I like all the features, the no black out, the silent shooting and they fixed the problem with the electronic shutter with that drag effect.

The questions left are:-

1 - How long does the battery last?
2 - How is the weather sealing?
3 - Does it overheat easily? 20fps full 14bit RAW, how long before the buffer is filled?

Caporegime
This model is to challenge Canon's 1DX-II and Nikon's D5.

The people who buy those tend to be sport shooters, for the FPS and tracking which the A9 on paper does.

The other side of the coin is the lenses, what's Sony's answer like for 400/2.8 or 600/4.0? It seems putting an adaptor on a Canon lens which will affect its focus speed seems counter intuitive.

Caporegime
The A9 does look good, 24mp is enough for work, dual card is a must, I like all the features, the no black out, the silent shooting and they fixed the problem with the electronic shutter with that drag effect.

The questions left are:-

1 - How long does the battery last?
2 - How is the weather sealing?
3 - Does it overheat easily? 20fps full 14bit RAW, how long before the buffer is filled?

Battery life is still is still only 480 shots

Seems liek they haven't solved one of the main issues for pros.

Caporegime
The people who buy those tend to be sport shooters, for the FPS and tracking which the A9 on paper does.

The other side of the coin is the lenses, what's Sony's answer like for 400/2.8 or 600/4.0? It seems putting an adaptor on a Canon lens which will affect its focus speed seems counter intuitive.
That is why Sony will never outsell Nikon or Canon in this segment.

Caporegime
Can they not use the battery grip to catch up somewhat? The size shouldn't be worse than a 1DX-II/D5 imo.

TBH, they could and should have made it bigger with grip already built in. The segment they are after are used to large bodies so making it small is kind of irrelevant. The type of lenses goes at the end of these sports bodies are not your 50mm but your 400/500/600mm.

Caporegime
Can they not use the battery grip to catch up somewhat? The size shouldn't be worse than a 1DX-II/D5 imo.

EDIT; As Raymond says
If they really wanted to take market share form the Canon & nikon pros it would need a built in vertical grip anyway in order to balance bigger lenses and work optimally in portrait mode. At the curreent price I doubt even the biggest Sony fans will take a bite

Soldato
Just quickly watched the demo video and found several things:
  1. Rolling shutter may still be an issue for action photography;
  2. Menu is inaccessible before all photos in buffer are written to cards after a session of continuous shots;
  3. Maybe there's a 1.2 crop factor for 30fps 4k video?
This A9 is surely a great innovation and a big step forward. Nikon needs to pay serious attention not to be left in the dust, while Canon is already on the way for mirrorless.

Caporegime
Just quickly watched the demo video and found several things:
  1. Rolling shutter may still be an issue for action photography;
  2. Menu is inaccessible before all photos in buffer are written to cards after a session of continuous shots;
  3. Maybe there's a 1.2 crop factor for 30fps 4k video?
This A9 is surely a great innovation and a big step forward. Nikon needs to pay serious attention not to be left in the dust, while Canon is already on the way for mirrorless.

I'm glad Canon never gave up on the M series, the first one was late to the market and was crap, the M5 is actually pretty decent.

Now they just need to put in a FF sensor. Personally I don't think I'll get rid of my Canon glass for a long time, if I get a Sony body I will get an adaptor just like a lot of people do.

Back
Top Bottom