What should I do with a delivery I cancelled then arrived?

Associate
As title, what do i do with this delivery that has turned up after I cancelled the order AND have been refunded the money?

I ordered something which was supposed to arrive on Saturday, for whatever reason it didn't so I cancelled it. I needed the items for a gift on Sunday (I could see the people again) but also the principle of it not turning up on time annoyed me. I had a full refund for the goods which has gone into my bank.
Then yesterday it arrives and my mum signs for it whilst she is babysitting for me.

So now I have these 2 items, and my money back. I feel like I should return them, but they aren't that small and I don't live near a physical shop. I also don't feel as though I should go out of my way to sort their error out. I certainly won't pay to send them back, nor drive somewhere to drop them off (both cost me money). I think if they want it back they should send a courier to pick it up when I'm home?

I've just left the packages unopened, exactly as they were delivered. Does anyone know where I stand from a legal point of view? Morally I feel like I should send it back.

*context - a few years back someone used my wife's CC fraudulently to order things which got delivered to our house. Including a monitor from OcUK, all of these items I ended up returning. The stores didn't even seem to know what to do with them and the monitor cost me about £25 to send back and I never saw that money, so I'm not getting my fingers burned like that again.

Associate
OP
Sorry I should have said, I have notified them and they haven't responded yet..

Look for justification to steal it from other forum users.

bit harsh, if I wanted the items I wouldn't even ask and would have opened the packages. I'm more likely to give them to a charity shop or the local cats protection as a donation

Soldato
OcUK questions never cease to amaze me.

Call the company and tell them.
They'll arrange to have it collected at your convenience.

Do not sell them, open or use them, otherwise you're liable to pay and they can recover costs.

Associate
LOL, why even start a thread to ask a question to which the answer is so blindingly obvious. Or are you hoping if enough people say keep it you'll sleep a lot easier after commiting what is technically theft?

Associate
I had ordered a product, it never turned up, I complained about it and they resent it. My mother went to my neighbours a few days later and they said they found a package on their door step and they think it is ours. It was not our neighbours opposite our door but the other neighbours so we would never had seen it. We kept both of them and returned one and bought something else with the money.

We never recieved anything through the door saying it was at a neighbours and delivery company just said it was put through letter box which was a lie as it could never fit.

Didn't feel guilty as the delivery company were very unprofessional.

Keep it and don't waste your time!

Associate
OP
Jesus some of you people are quick to jump on someone for asking a question. I did say I had contacted them but not heard back.

But it's all good because I've solved it now. They called me back and told me the goods had already been returned! it then took me 20 minutes to convince them that they hadn't and were actually sat in my garage. "But it says on our system they were returned". Then they said I could take them to a store, which wasn't going to happen. Finally they agreed that 1) I did have the goods and 2) they could just send parcelforce to pick them up, so that's what they are doing!

I only posted this because they hadn't got back to me, so thanks to the people who did reply with useful suggestions. And something less polite to those of you who didn't.

Soldato
Jesus some of you people are quick to jump on someone for asking a question. I did say I had contacted them but not heard back.

Where? You said you got in touch to cancel, but then seemed unsure of what do to next when the order turned up anyway, asking where you stood from a legal point of view.

Anyway, glad it is sorted.

As title, what do i do with this delivery that has turned up after I cancelled the order AND have been refunded the money?

I ordered something which was supposed to arrive on Saturday, for whatever reason it didn't so I cancelled it. I needed the items for a gift on Sunday (I could see the people again) but also the principle of it not turning up on time annoyed me. I had a full refund for the goods which has gone into my bank.
Then yesterday it arrives and my mum signs for it whilst she is babysitting for me.

So now I have these 2 items, and my money back. I feel like I should return them, but they aren't that small and I don't live near a physical shop. I also don't feel as though I should go out of my way to sort their error out. I certainly won't pay to send them back, nor drive somewhere to drop them off (both cost me money). I think if they want it back they should send a courier to pick it up when I'm home?

I've just left the packages unopened, exactly as they were delivered. Does anyone know where I stand from a legal point of view? Morally I feel like I should send it back.

Back
Top Bottom