Do i need G-Sync ?

Associate
Ive got a really bad display an lcd 50hz at the moment and with the new monitor technology 4k 100hz + etc.. thats coming out, im wanting to play the waiting game till prices drop.
So i have a GTX 1070 hof im looking at a small upgrade to tide me over for a couple of years i was thinking of getting something like the Acer GN276HLB a 1080p monitor @144hz
Or do you think a G-sync monitor is the way to go?
From what ive read the 1070 should have an amazing amount of fps @ 1080p should that not mean i shouldn't see too many artifacts/tearing etc..

What do you think ?

Soldato
What games do you tend to play? You're looking at a TN panel, which is fast, but has poorer colour accuracy than IPS. Best suited for competitive fps games, but may not have the same image quality you'd get from an IPS model, and you might regret it in slower, more colourful titles.

Soldato
But TN has advantages over IPS. IPS is hardly pefect.

Better even backlight/no IPS glow
Fast, no trailing or ghosting.

Not having high refresh I'd be aiming for that, and g-sync/freesync

Associate
OP
I mean it would be for gaming it's not a workstation I do play newer games like doom that's why I thought a TN.
But at 144hz will it make that much difference without g-sync?

Soldato
Dell TN gsync is probably the best balanced panels right now. Both in terms of image quality and responsiveness. It seems to lack a lot of the problems some of the gsync ips panels have had under Acer and Asus. Another brand to consider is AOC, but Dell seem to be getting better reviews out of the two from what I've seen.

Soldato
I'm just borrowing a 1440p 144Hz 27" Gsync... I don't want to give it back!!!

Even on a 980Ti, it's SOOOOOOOOOO much better. I generally don't upgrade unless the new component(s) results in me seeing a notable improvement. One or two extra frames isn't worth worrying about. 75+ extra FPS in buttery-smooth Gsync/Vsync is simply stunning!!

Soldato
Once you've had g-sync, it would be very hard to go back !

I just keep my fingers crossed that my Acer XB270HU doesn't ever give up the ghost ! Otherwise i have no choice to get another, as going back to a non-gsync screen is no longer an option on the table ! and they're still damn expensive !

Soldato
Ive got a really bad display an lcd 50hz at the moment and with the new monitor technology 4k 100hz + etc.. thats coming out, im wanting to play the waiting game till prices drop.
So i have a GTX 1070 hof im looking at a small upgrade to tide me over for a couple of years i was thinking of getting something like the Acer GN276HLB a 1080p monitor @144hz
Or do you think a G-sync monitor is the way to go?
From what ive read the 1070 should have an amazing amount of fps @ 1080p should that not mean i shouldn't see too many artifacts/tearing etc..

What do you think ?

If you dont know if you need gsync or any sort of VRR in general then the answer is an easy no you dont. If you expose yourself to VRR(variable refresh rate such as gsync and freesync) then it quickly becomes difficult for many to go back to non VRR monitors. Why give yourself a need for something if you dont have to? it will only cost you more money down the road. Then again if you have the cash to burn and you dont care about being stuck to that specific eco system then go nuts and be happy for however long it lasts.

Soldato
If you dont know if you need gsync or any sort of VRR in general then the answer is an easy no you dont. If you expose yourself to VRR(variable refresh rate such as gsync and freesync) then it quickly becomes difficult for many to go back to non VRR monitors. Why give yourself a need for something if you dont have to? it will only cost you more money down the road.
I had to use a temporary GTX260 not so long ago. Even games like Elite looked awful with it... as in everything made of LEGO™ awful.
It ran well enough, but no-one in their right mind here would tell me I needed nothing better than that card...
It's also nothing to do with need, but about want. Only way to decide is to see both results side by side... but even without my own monitor present, I could see from first sight that games were SOOO much better with Gsync.

Soldato
I had to use a temporary GTX260 not so long ago. Even games like Elite looked awful with it... as in everything made of LEGO™ awful.
It ran well enough, but no-one in their right mind here would tell me I needed nothing better than that card...
It's also nothing to do with need, but about want. Only way to decide is to see both results side by side... but even without my own monitor present, I could see from first sight that games were SOOO much better with Gsync.

There should be no doubt that Gsync or freesync adds to the experience mostly in a positive way. By mostly i mean there are 2 areas where you might question this and that is below 45ish frames where image persistance starts to become a real pain(for me the limit is 55) and above max refresh rate which for some games improves input lag which might be something some people would prefer.

I have gamed for a long time prior to owning gsync and later freesync using just vsync + framerate limiter and had good results for the most part. Of course this isnt perfect and require you to stay locked at your desired framerate but when it works it works just fine for casual gaming. If i had to choose between a 60hz gsync vs 144hz non gsync i would always take the 144hz. Again this is my preference and they are certainly not to be equal to everyone elses.

Soldato
If i had to choose between a 60hz gsync vs 144hz non gsync i would always take the 144hz. Again this is my preference and they are certainly not to be equal to everyone elses.
The aim is to not choose and get both instead, though, which I'd always do even if I had to save up... which is pretty much always, anyway!
Buy once, buy right.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice peeps, found a Predator XB241HBmipr refurbished so kept within my budget and got the g-sync also 144hz, should arrive tomorrow

Associate
OP
If you dont know if you need gsync or any sort of VRR in general then the answer is an easy no you dont. If you expose yourself to VRR(variable refresh rate such as gsync and freesync) then it quickly becomes difficult for many to go back to non VRR monitors. Why give yourself a need for something if you dont have to? it will only cost you more money down the road. Then again if you have the cash to burn and you dont care about being stuck to that specific eco system then go nuts and be happy for however long it lasts.
I see what you were saying but i splashed out on a GTX 1070 HOF Why waste that power on a LCD TV @50hz i could save myself loads of dosh and not get anything so i might as well get the best i can on my budget till we get BEAST 4K 288HZ STEROID SCREEEENS LOL

Soldato
If it were only so simple for all of us myself included :)
It is that simple.
It comes down to the best of what you want, out of what you can afford.
I will never be able to afford the PG279Q that my friend just bought, but I can save up enough to buy his old XB270HU, for example.
If you can't afford anything you want, save up and make do until then.

I see what you were saying but i splashed out on a GTX 1070 HOF Why waste that power on a LCD TV @50hz
Exackerly!!
I just got a 980Ti, which was awesomely powerful with a 1080 screen... but even with games set to ultra on everything, I could still hear the GPU snoring and drumming its fingers!! :D

Back
Top Bottom