***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
You come across any flickering in games at all dude?

Nope never noticed any flickering in the slightest, even in menus! gaming is amazing, been playing through Bioshock Infinite again and its great!

Can't say I've noticied any issues at all with the monitor, for the price point its amazing, won't be upgrading until 144hz ultrawides are at the £700 price mark

Soldato
I am so tempted to get the Asus MX34VQ but im also a little afraid of the black trail on that VA panel. I tried a newer samsung VA panel some months back and it was dreadful and unusable even on desktop. Ive also seen some of the 200hz 1080 panels like the acer with just mind boggling amounts of black trail. The only other option would be the 1080p UW from LG with 144hz but that is just 1080p and apparently very dim if people's reviews are to be believed. Ive already seen pcmonitor.info's review of it and it looks promising but even he mentioned the trail even if its only slight. Im just such a nitpicker with these things :(

Soldato
Looking for a freesync UW for Gaming. The samsung cf791 seems to tick most of the boxes - is that the best bet so far? Or is there anything else in that space or coming soon?

Caporegime
OP
Use madvr + MPC to help with the scaling.

However, if you are watching crap quality content i.e. just web rips, avi files or something along those lines then yes it will look even worse when the video is being zoomed in since you will be able to see all the faults such as noise, banding etc. even more. Get some storage and good quality content and with correct madvr/mpc settings, whilst not as sharp looking as it would be on a 16.9 display, it will still look very good and when sitting further back, the perception of sharpness/clarity will be even greater.

I've only seen 1 4k film and it was 21.9 i.e. no black bars.

Associate

However, if you are watching crap quality content i.e. just web rips, avi files or something along those lines then yes it will look even worse when the video is being zoomed in since you will be able to see all the faults such as noise, banding etc. even more. Get some storage and good quality content and with correct madvr/mpc settings, whilst not as sharp looking as it would be on a 16.9 display, it will still look very good and when sitting further back, the perception of sharpness/clarity will be even greater.

I would love to have a easy to install and set up madvr + player package.. do you know any? like select between high / med / low, job done.

I'm looking at the new CF791. Can I use it for photo work? Not professional, just home use (A7R II + Prime lenses)

Caporegime
OP
I would love to have a easy to install and set up madvr + player package.. do you know any? like select between high / med / low, job done.

I'm looking at the new CF791. Can I use it for photo work? Not professional, just home use (A7R II + Prime lenses)

There is no straight forward guide for madvr as so many things impact the settings i.e.

- source of the video being the main thing, be it a poor quality encode or/and 720 VS 1080 VS 4k, bit rate etc. etc.
- what res. the display is that you are viewing said material on
- type of content i.e. anime?
- GPU power you have

etc. etc.

Not to mention there are different preferences for image quality i.e. some might like a very sharp look where as others will prefer a more natural/softer look.

This is a good basic guide for a quick setup here, although very out of date:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

And then these:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

Will seem very confusing at first but after a bit of reading, it starts to make a bit more sense.

I use these settings for my 2560x1080 monitor and 1920x1080 TV, all of my video content is the very best quality there is so I don't really have to faff about too much or bother with different profiles:

gz6bN8k.png

Pd7q0Nn.png

QyxrPf9.png

PxKfUc6.png

pkoBtnj.png

Everything else is left at default settings except I have smooth motion turned on.

Associate
There is no straight forward guide for madvr as so many things impact the settings i.e.

- source of the video being the main thing, be it a poor quality encode or/and 720 VS 1080 VS 4k, bit rate etc. etc.
- what res. the display is that you are viewing said material on
- type of content i.e. anime?
- GPU power you have

etc. etc.

Not to mention there are different preferences for image quality i.e. some might like a very sharp look where as others will prefer a more natural/softer look.

This is a good basic guide for a quick setup here, although very out of date:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

And then these:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
Will seem very confusing at first but after a bit of reading, it starts to make a bit more sense.

I use these settings for my 2560x1080 monitor and 1920x1080 TV, all of my video content is the very best quality there is so I don't really have to faff about too much or bother with different profiles:

gz6bN8k.png

Pd7q0Nn.png

QyxrPf9.png

PxKfUc6.png

pkoBtnj.png

Everything else is left at default settings except I have smooth motion turned on.

Thanks! I guess you media Media Player Classic? I used to use this http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack, but it has not been updated for a while :(

Soldato
So far I have found it terrible for videos / movies as 1080p ones up close look terrible (with the zoom in is like 720p) and on 4k titles still get the bars. Games awesome yes, but for video, seriously disapointed.

Never install K codec pack, it installs crap load of codecs you'll never use.

I just install MPC , no codecs and everything works.

Associate
Is buying an X34a worth it now and using it for a couple of years until 4k/Oled/HDR/100+HZ/Ultrawide monitors become more standard (and cheaper!!).

I have only ever sampled 2x 1080p TN @ 60hz without any adaptive sync technology so assume a jump up to an Ultrawide 100hz 1440p with Gsync will give me the biggest upgrade in one go. I probably could live with a bit of IPS Glow and backbleed.

Or should I just get a 40ish inch 4k HDR TV to game on but downside being higher input lag, 60hz and harder to push 4k. I have never seen above 60hz or seen Gsync in action so might get away with it! I am in the process in stepping up to a 1080ti from a 1070 so might help keep up at 4k with mid settings(was going to be a 1080! glad I waited).

Mainly use it 50/50 gaming and watching media. Games are varied like GTA, BF1 , CSGO and Witcher 3.
I also use a PS4 which I would plug into the HDMI and will live with the bars!

Associate

Thanks will try this. Been using VLC and a couple of others, and basically just decided to never watch videos on it again. Not a biggy as have a 58" 902b around the corner, but would be nice. And video files are generally high quality of the serve at home (got about 8tb at the mo so space isn't really an issue).

VLC for the WIN :D :D

I shall install madvr + MPC soon

Found VLC and 4k to not work well. Could just be me though.

Associate
Is buying an X34a worth it now and using it for a couple of years until 4k/Oled/HDR/100+HZ/Ultrawide monitors become more standard (and cheaper!!).

Absolutely, I've had mine for a couple of months now and still think it's one of the best gaming related purchases I've made, really is stunning!

Back
Top Bottom