• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Tell that to their non-existent market share in the desktop CPU space. The reason every large OEM is looking to ship PCs with AMD CPUs now is because they have a product that's better than the competition. OEMs don't care too much about brand power. But that's not really the point. It's all well and good OEMs shipping computers, it's down to consumers to buy them. Which is where AMD needs to increase their brand strength.

Threadripper CPUs are likely going to be expensive, but what they're not gonna do is add a premium over Ryzen, because it makes little to no sense.

Soldato
Threadripper CPUs are likely going to be expensive, but what they're not gonna do is add a premium over Ryzen, because it makes little to no sense.

What does that even mean? HEDT is a premium market segment with huge margins, as I said in my last post "the prices won't be hugely different to an Intel system, but maybe you'll end up with 14c/28t for the price of 10c/20t from Intel, so still a premium product but with a reason to chose AMD." :confused:

Soldato
What does that even mean? HEDT is a premium market segment with huge margins, as I said in my last post "the prices won't be hugely different to an Intel system, but maybe you'll end up with 14c/28t for the price of 10c/20t from Intel, so still a premium product but with a reason to chose AMD." :confused:
The 1800X will have huge margins...

People were saying Ryzen prices wouldn't be hugely different to Intel prices. Yes, HEDT is high end, but premium tends to just mean "more expensive because reasons".

My point is that they can't afford to add a premium on to Threadripper just because it's a high end platform. I expect we'll see a linear increase in price relative to Ryzen CPU prices, rather than a HEDT tax.

You're referencing Intel prices, which is a mistake in my opinion. Because everyone really understands that Intel pricing is an utter mess. AMD can't afford to try and get into that utter mess that is Intel pricing.

Soldato
Yes, premium because of reasons, those reasons being that if you want more of something you pay for it, be it a better quality airline seat, a better vehicle with fancier options, or even just better tasting coffee. Premium is not a required segment, it's for those that chose to go higher - Ryzen covers the basics and more compared to Intel, and offers everyday computing a big poke compared to what Intel have been doing recently.

6850K - $620 - Threadripper 10c/20t
6900K - $1100 - Threadripper 14c/28t
6950X - $1700 - Threadripper 16/32t

All of the above, plus several other SKU's to fit in the middle, but if AMD do not have a premium product, with the 'because I have to have the fastest/most cores' tax then they are not fulfilling what they have just promised to their shareholders.

Again, wait and see in 13 days time hopefully the prices will show if it is premium, or just an extension of the desktop segment.

Soldato
You're missing my point. Intel prices are out of whack. I don't think it'd worth using them as a comparison. Intel are charging MASSIVE premiums for very small increases in core counts. I'm saying that I think AMD's Threadripper prices will be relative to each other and core count.

As for fulfilling their promise to share holders, that's not really the case. As I said, the margin on an 1800X will be very high. It will be costing them nowhere near $500 to manufacture. A very specific set of circumstances has allowed Intel to change what they charge. AMD isn't in that situation, they need to be realistic.

They're not giving to bring CPU prices back into reality with Ryzen, then go off to pretend land with Threadripper prices. The 1700X is already giving the 6900K a run for its money. On that basis alone, they can't start applying crazy prices. I don't expect the top tier 16c/32t CPU to be more than $1000. I do understand that it's speculation, but it doesn't make sense. It's like suggesting that someone isn't acting cray cray, because you know someone else who's even more cray cray.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
until we see performances for thread ripper v intels new extreme line we wont have a clue. like wise amd and intel will have a price in mind but i cant see any concrete prices until as late as possible against their competitors performance. also amd aint going to give these away but id be expecting £1k for the top of the line amd chip though again depends what intel does. as if itel comes in at £1200 for something thats about the same speed amd will add on 10% as to recoup money, like wise if intel surprise amd with a jump in performance they will bang up a higher price then its a waiting game to see who blinks first when sales dont come as fast as they where expecting.

Caporegime
Intel's i9 are upto 12 core KabyLake, so 6, 8, 10 and 12 core 7700K's.

Like with KabyLack Intel will push the TDP up, clock them high and with that they are faster in 5 year old games, reviewers will masturbate about that..... so they are worth 30% more than AMD....

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Intel's i9 are upto 12 core KabyLake, so 6, 8, 10 and 12 core 7700K's.

Like with KabyLack Intel will push the TDP up, clock them high and with that they are faster in 5 year old games, reviewers will masturbate about that..... so they are worth 30% more than AMD....

yeah gotta agree with the reviewers, getting a tad silly the whole average fps across xx amount of games, which would make sense if you didnt have a few 4 or 5 year old titles in there that only use a core or broken things like tomb raider, let alone the whole synthetics stuff, yeah i get cinebench is great but maybe do two videos one pure gaming and the other pure production stuff. rather than some mish mash.

Soldato
Ah!

I've been thinking about picking up some higher end AMD but a brand new socket doesn't appeal to me, it's such a risk especially given that X370 is still working through it's teething issues.

Still, it's really good that AMD are pushing the boundaries like this.

It's LGA Socket 4094, and shares a platform with EPYC. Which means it's had a huge amount of testing done already, as per AMD's statement the other day, so I'd imagine would be pretty stable since they are going for Datacentre with it also.

Back
Top Bottom