Manchester Bombing *** Please remain respectful and refrain from antagonising posts ***

Soldato
How did we survive when ria attacked us a lot back in the 70s-90s I believe it was?

In Birmingham the Villa and blues fans got together and trashed every know IRA pub\club. Large gangs of vigilantes walking the city centre at night.
That's why the RIA never bombed Birmingham again. But they did bomb other city's time and time again.

I think we are at a tipping point and no matter how many candles people light, it will kick off sooner or later.

Soldato
If you find your opinions aligning with Piers Morgan, Paul Joseph Watson, Alex Jones, Katie Hopkins, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage then you can be reasonably safe in the knowledge that you haven't actually found some enlightened perspective on things.

Isn't this part of the problem though? Rather than pointing individual examples of why these people may be wrong, misinformed etc. they are simply shut down and people are told their views are irrelevant. Where are people to go when it's only the outspoken people that are calling things as they see them? It certainly isn't in the other direction where we live in some imagined utopia.

Caporegime
If you find your opinions aligning with Piers Morgan, Paul Joseph Watson, Alex Jones, Katie Hopkins, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage then you can be reasonably safe in the knowledge that you haven't actually found some enlightened perspective on things.

indeed - though if anything views like theirs are only likely to increase in popularity after attacks like these

Caporegime
Isn't this part of the problem though? Rather than pointing individual examples of why these people may be wrong, misinformed etc. they are simply shut down and people are told their views are irrelevant. Where are people to go when it's only the outspoken people that are calling things as they see them? It certainly isn't in the other direction where we live in some imagined utopia.

None of them are shut down, they continue to be able to say whatever they want (more or less, there are libel laws that exist for example) and some are given platforms in widely-circulated newspapers and on talk radio. But just because they know their audience and tailor a message towards it doesn't add any credence to what they are saying. Especially in the case of Piers, who exists just to take up a contrarian view on literally everything so his name is mentioned more often.

Caporegime
Horrendous events like this really do bring the mouth breathers to the surface.

As a Catholic of Irish descent living in the greater Glasgow area during the 70s and 80s when the IRA was bombing Birmingham, Manchester and Brighton... I will never, ever hold Muslim people responsible for the hideous acts that are carried out in their name, in the absence of their consent.

There is a VAST difference between the Irish and many from the middle east, the religion is also vastly different

Caporegime
Loony lefty here. At least we have an opinion for positive change. Get back to your joints. Clueless

hmm - unfortunately the political figures on the left don't give me too much confidence on the issue of terrorism... perhaps more confidence on increases in benefits etc.. but certainly not security - in fact they've not got a great history re: terrorist groups as it is (though I'm not sure how far down this road we can go as it then turns into a political discussion which belongs in a different thread has been stopped for a bit)

Associate
it will be which ever units/sub-units that hold the commitment at the time, which will most likely be a broad spectrum from the reg units.
Fair enough. One of my best friends is in the army, he was in 2 Para for quite a few years, moved into Special Forces and now I barely ever hear from him. I remember him saying that when he was in the Paras that they spent a lot of time sitting around on X-Box as they didn't have the budget to do anything else (shooting range, parachuting etc) so figured Army brass might actually get them doing something productive :p

Soldato
In Birmingham the Villa and blues fans got together and trashed every know IRA pub\club. Large gangs of vigilantes walking the city centre at night.
That's why the RIA never bombed Birmingham again. But they did bomb other city's time and time again.

I think we are at a tipping point and no matter how many candles people light, it will kick off sooner or later.

So you are advocating United and City fans gather together and trash every Mosque as a solution to this?

Is this what scorza means as well by "rise up and fight" I wonder?

Soldato
There is a VAST difference between the Irish and many from the middle east, the religion is also vastly different

I think you're missing the point, Neil. The IRA bombed Birmingham without my consent, just as this recent nutter bombed the Manchester Arena without the consent of any individual Muslim.

The differences between Islam and Catholicism is completely irrelevant to the point being made.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom