Hayfever - Thread

Associate
I was a big hay fever sufferer as a child and teen, into my late 20s and early 30s it has really died off to the point where I don't use any medication.

However last 2 days it's been back with an absolute vengeance, memories and snot are flooding back....it's like being 12 again.
Exactly the same; a few people at work have also said the same. I'm sat here typing this post with a snotty nose, sniffing constantly as if I've been crying. Ah well, at least my sniffling will drive my boss mad :p

Soldato
Hayfever seems to be crazy this year for lots of people, my missus is in a sorry way! Was just on the phone to a colleague who's face has pretty much all swollen up! I get sore eyes and a little bit sniffly, but nothing like some people!

Soldato
This is the earliest (usually mid July) and worst I've had since my mid 20's. I've gone through 2 boxes of Kleenex Balsam extra large in the past 2 weeks (highly recommend for non-painful noses) without an ending in sight! The Fenofexadrine I take is supposed to be a 1 per day dose, I'm finding it's lasting 8hrs max currently, YAY :(

Associate
Stopped taking Fexofenadine now, making me wheeze and short of breath, onto chlorophenamine now & been given a nasal spray too which is horrible! Hayfever, pointless allergy!

Sgarrista
Commissario
This is the earliest (usually mid July) and worst I've had since my mid 20's. I've gone through 2 boxes of Kleenex Balsam extra large in the past 2 weeks (highly recommend for non-painful noses) without an ending in sight! The Fenofexadrine I take is supposed to be a 1 per day dose, I'm finding it's lasting 8hrs max currently, YAY :(

Im having to top up fexo with acrivastine 2 times a day. My doctor hates it but the pharmacist said 8 hour gap between the fexo and the acri is ok.

Soldato
Been taking 4 priton a day recently making sure i take one just before bed and actually managing to het some sleep now. Never usually take haydever tabs as make me feel like pooh but its sooo bad this year its better than constantly clearing my throat.

Soldato
I took a teaspoon of honey for all of April and I haven't had any since. So far, my hayfever has been absolutely fine.

I really would urge people to source local honey and try it. If you suffer from bad hayfever, take 2 teaspoons every day until your symptoms ease, then take 1 teaspoon until you have ran out of honey. Usually the symptoms ease off after about 10 days for me, and that's taking 1 teaspoon each day. But for bad sufferers, I would try 2 teaspoons a day for about 10 days.

If the honey starts to crystalise in the jar, I just take the lid off and microwave a half jar for about 45 seconds. This is usually enough to melt the crystals and I just stir the jar and let it cool down with the lid loose.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Tried all this threads natural remedies and diet changes, dropping wheat and milk (suspected triggers) and local honey, I said 2-3 months back I tried the red peppers and onions well after 3 weeks it did sod all.

Only thing that has worked this summer is upping the tablets dose, I take one cetrizine tab in morning, wait few minutes then one benadrly relief (actrivastine) tablet and see how I feel 20 minutes after, usually am ok. But a golden trick I have learned if I have an itchy nose badly inflamed or swollen itchy face at all I take 2 paracetamol tablets this quickly calms it down. I will adjust this and reduce it and see if it works though !

its 30c + in my room so vents and windows fully open this summer 24/7, still no issue with the above remedy.

Soldato
The thing that makes me so angry is how much effect this has on people taking exams such as GCSEs, A-levels and their degree in the summer time.

It's a long time ago for me now, but I think I could have achieved at least a grade higher in most subjects were it not for this horrible infliction.

No special dispensation is given to hayfever, it's treated as a "oh well, you're a bit sniffly" complaint rather than the debilitating condition that it is. I cannot adequately describe how much it made me seize up - your mind racing, twitching, bunged up face nose and eyes. Horrid.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The hayfever is triggered much more by stress, that is why during test and exams it goes inflamed and on the war path.

Am hearing lots of choos and bless you's though so were not alone, quite frankly I wish I knew you could take a tablet more then once, since many times 1 tablet either does not kick in or work imo, vary your tablets and remember sometimes they will take a good 1-2 weeks to adjust and really kick in.
Once you notice your histamine levels in your bodies low you can adjust or reduce the tablets a little.

Paracetamol help reduce inflammation and swolleness also, so they are actually excellent for the war on hayfever.

Associate
Had hay fever all my live, I use Tesco one a day hay fever & allergy 10mg tablets, & I've been using them now for the last 8 plus years !
I might still get a bit of runny eyes or nose but only light ! Worse case I have another tablet before bed if I know the pollen count is going to be very high.

Soldato
Last year I bought 180 tablets for £5 from Amazon, just checked again and they are now £5 a pack, well that sucks.

I paid £7 for 30 piriton tablets yesterday, taken 2 today and seem to be coping ok, nose is runny still but no sneezing.

Soldato
The hayfever is triggered much more by stress, that is why during test and exams it goes inflamed and on the war path.

Am hearing lots of choos and bless you's though so were not alone, quite frankly I wish I knew you could take a tablet more then once, since many times 1 tablet either does not kick in or work imo, vary your tablets and remember sometimes they will take a good 1-2 weeks to adjust and really kick in.
Once you notice your histamine levels in your bodies low you can adjust or reduce the tablets a little.

Paracetamol help reduce inflammation and swolleness also, so they are actually excellent for the war on hayfever.

Ive found that if I take more than 1 loretadine a day I become too drowsy to operate. It does make a much better dent on the hayfever tho.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah had that also I still prefer Cetrizines, have tried flax but too costly and not as powerful as Cetrinzines but they are good if your body has adapted to say Cetrizines.

I would rank these tablets in my personal experience as best of the best after 20 years of bless free hayfever

1:Cetrizine -for price/performance last a good 4-8hrs
2:Beandryl Acrivastine relief- faster acting but most pricey, but 4-8hr lasting but good if other tablets stop or don't kick in
3:Fex tablets-took 1-2 weeks for tablets to kick in and work, high priced last 4-7hrs
4:loretadine tablets-cheap but can at times take few days to kick in, last good 4-8hrs
5:paracetomal tablets- These may not reduce hayfever directly but assist in swelling internally in the nose, throat and mouth areas making the
hayfever side effects low.

Overall Cetrizines and Loretadine are the most common and cheapest tablets, if they don't work give it few days for them to kick in or for a quick fix I recommend the Acrivastine Benadryl tablets roughly £7-8 quid for 2 packs of 24 from boots, takes 15 minutes to work and suggest 8hr last but ive found it
last 3hrs at worst but average 4-8hrs.

Back
Top Bottom